Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 PM

233 posts, read 439,869 times

Advertisements

If someone wants to communicate with me in my own country I sure expect them to do so in my own language so I can better assist them. If you can't or won't make the effort to ask me for help or anything else in my native English, well then it's obvious to me you don't need my help or an answer and I'll just keep on walking past you!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
If someone wants to communicate with me in my own country I sure expect them to do so in my own language so I can better assist them. If you can't or won't make the effort to ask me for help or anything else in my native English, well then it's obvious to me you don't need my help or an answer and I'll just keep on walking past you!
If you don't know any other language than English than it's only logical that anybody who cares to communicate with you would do so in English. What's your point? Also, what's with the claimed ownership of the country. Let's be clear. You don't own the United States. You just so happened to have been born there and you live there. We're all happy for you.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If you don't know any other language than English than it's only logical that anybody who cares to communicate with you would do so in English. What's your point? Also, what's with the claimed ownership of the country. Let's be clear. You don't own the United States. You just so happened to have been born there and you live there. We're all happy for you.
The point is simple: it's the height of nerve to move someplace else for the rest of your life and then DEMAND that others speak your language because you are too stupid and lazy to learn the dominant language. Were the situation reversed -- were millions of Americans to move to Mexico and refuse to learn Spanish -- one can only imagine the accusations that would follow.

It's not okay in reverse.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 AM

I know I don't own the country, I don't claim to. My gripe is that we are now expected to have to communicate with people who in a lot of cases refuse to learn the predominent language of this country and then say we are somehow discriminating against them if we don't learn their language. If I moved to any other country the first thing I'd be learning is their language preferably BEFORE I put foot on their soil if I expected them to be able to communicate with me. Instead now I get accosted in the stores by people asking me for help in their native tongue and they get frustrated when I can't help them, they know enough english to reprimand me that I should learn their language when they get frustrated. I'm just tired of it all.........

Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Nobody is requiring you to learn their language. It's just in your best interest to do so as then you have the ability to speak to a significant portion of the population that speaks another language primarily. Your negative attitude about a demographic trend that isn't changing anytime soon is only going to make matters worse. My gripe is the people who just sit around and complain when people speak a language other than the language they speak. Deal with it.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Nobody is requiring you to learn their language. It's just in your best interest to do so as then you have the ability to speak to a significant portion of the population that speaks another language primarily. Your negative attitude about a demographic trend that isn't changing anytime soon is only going to make matters worse. My gripe is the people who just sit around and complain when people speak a language other than the language they speak. Deal with it.
Yeah no one's REQUIRING you do anything. But you'd better spend your free time learning Spanish because they moved here without permission and they have no intention of ever learning English.

What a ridiculous attitude! My gripe is with people who voluntarily move somewhere else and demand that people there cater to their educational deficits.

Every other prior immigrant group has learned English. No one today expects Americans to speak Yiddish, German, Italian or Polish. Why should hispanic migrants -- particularly those who moved here in violation of American immigrant law -- expect/demand that Americans are going to learn Spanish just for them?

You want to move here? Great. Do so legally and pass TOEFL before you get here. If you don't want the "negative attitude" don't place insane burdens on the people of the country you want to join.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM

Having grown up in a very heavily immigrant influenced neighborhood in NYC back in the 1950-60 era, the first thing the new immigrants to our block of tenements did was immerse themselves in the english language, within a matter of weeks the overwhelming result was that they could have a conversation with those of us who were born here. It was a source of pride for them to adopt the language of the country they chose to live and grow in. In this day and age now what we are seeing is a refusal to adapt to their new surroundings and the demand that we are the ones who have to conform to their ways instead, what makes these times any different then those? I should say that it is mostly the illegals that I see that make the demands, those that have followed procedure to get here remind me more of the immigrants I grew up knowing and learning about, they have pride in themselves and culture but show a real appreciation for their new life and surroundings without making demands of us or our social services, they aren't the ones with their hands out as soon as they arrive, they are the immigrants the majority of us welcome and embrace.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yeah no one's REQUIRING you do anything. But you'd better spend your free time learning Spanish because they moved here without permission and they have no intention of ever learning English.

What a ridiculous attitude! My gripe is with people who voluntarily move somewhere else and demand that people there cater to their educational deficits.

Every other prior immigrant group has learned English. No one today expects Americans to speak Yiddish, German, Italian or Polish. Why should hispanic migrants -- particularly those who moved here in violation of American immigrant law -- expect/demand that Americans are going to learn Spanish just for them?

You want to move here? Great. Do so legally and pass TOEFL before you get here. If you don't want the "negative attitude" don't place insane burdens on the people of the country you want to join.
Just who is it that you keep speaking of that is Demanding you learn spanish? when has anyone come up to up and ..."IN SPANISH" ans DEMANDED anything of YOU?

If the Federqal government puts out information in the different languages spoken in this country...then that between you and the Federal/State/Municipal government doing so. No Ethinic group legal or otherwise is forcing/demanding that consideration.

Speak to how this language burden harms you?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
According to this statement you must have a gripe every time a mentally retarded person moves into your neighborhood or anyone who suffered a severe brain injury while defending the country or from a major auto accident and now anytime you interact with these individuals you have to put up with their educational deficits....hmm, how insensitive of you.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Just who is it that you keep speaking of that is Demanding you learn spanish? when has anyone come up to up and ..."IN SPANISH" ans DEMANDED anything of YOU?

If the Federqal government puts out information in the different languages spoken in this country...then that between you and the Federal/State/Municipal government doing so. No Ethinic group legal or otherwise is forcing/demanding that consideration.

Speak to how this language burden harms you?
When people DEMAND translation services paid for at government expense. When they DEMAND bilingual education, bilingual ballots and bilingual everything out of my tax dollars.

When I can't tell the local idiot to put away the sixteen leaf blowers because he doesn't speak English yes it burdens me. I should not feel like a guest in my own home because people from Mexico have decided to invade my state without permission.

Slig himself apparently thinks that every single American ought to take Spanish lessons because Mexicans believe they can declare themselves American citizens merely by walking across the border without permission.

Quote:
According to this statement you must have a gripe every time a mentally retarded person moves into your neighborhood or anyone who suffered a severe brain injury while defending the country or from a major auto accident and now anytime you interact with these individuals you have to put up with their educational deficits....hmm, how insensitive of you.
That's a ridiculous analogy. There's a huge difference between someone who CANNOT learn and someone who REFUSES to learn. The 7th grade drop out who comes here without skills or permission is no hero. He's in no position to tell a single American what they should and should not do. Insensitive is moving to another land and telling the people already there they have to learn your language because you don't want to learn theirs.

That's not immigration. That's colonization. It needs to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration