U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,163,848 times

Advertisements

I saw it all the time as an undergrad, as well as now as a PhD student. An American student cannot get a fair shake. Misplace a comma and it's all over, but a Chinese student gets a pass for their atrocious misuse of language. Yes, it's not their native language, but American academia, business, and government works in English. Subsidized Chinese and Korean students need to have excellent English before they come here, but of course universities do not enforce it, because they want to push the American students out of engineering. As a result, any attempt by an honest American student in engineering is nearly impossible.

I don't cut corners for foreign students, which really sucks, because apparently I'm some kind of jerk or something. American universities are held up by 'all' as being some kind of shining light. No, they are part and parcel of the corrupt and decaying institutional foundation that is betraying our country.

If Bill Gates loves Canada so much, he should move there with all his Chinese and Indian buddies. Of course, he would have to come through customs ever time he wanted a face-to-face chat with his buddy Warren Buffett. Bill Gates know the facts: Seattle > Vancouver, but only for him; to hell with the workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 AM

3,748 posts, read 7,216,574 times
When I was school, everyone sucked equally -- American and foreign. Bill Gates has granted to your wish. Other companies will likely do the same if they don't get their visas. I don't want to see that happen. It is not good the economy.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:07 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,005,685 times
We could actually stop companies from moving overseas, but not as long as corporations like Microsoft have more influence over our politicians than the citizens of this country.

To start we could eliminate the H1B visa program, then jail anyone who illegally hires foreigners.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,698,831 times
They want lower wages, end of story. I know too many people with high level degrees and many yrs exp. that are getting their wages brought down because of this because that is the first and main topic of most interviews these days. Cheap labor is all big buisness is focused on right now because it is a very easy way to increase profits......And destroy the American worker. I actually remember there being more inovation in the hey day of IT than now. Selling out Ameican is all they are doing. The only people that defend this are people that benfit from it and they are never the middle class.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,062,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
There are plenty of best and brightest right here in the USA. Microsoft just wants the best and brightest at a much lower wage.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw a piece on how labor attorneys give seminars on how not to hire Us workers and how to get workers from overseas...I'm talking professional....computer techies & such

Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
The price (wages) will increase if the supply is limited. The price is decreased if the supply is increased; both sides of the First Law of Economics. It is in the best interests of the officers, financiers and stockholders of any business to cut costs and increase profits (usually but not always within the restraints of the law).

Immigration increases the supply and the prices drop. Companies can move to other countries and the price drops. The price can be raised in the first instance by limiting or eliminating H1B immigration and in the second by countervailing tariffs. The result of either will be lower profits, lower dividends and lower market value for the stocks. For the big investor class (approximately upper 5% of the population) this would be a financial disaster so they very effectively lobby government to prevent this from happening. The displaced workers do not have a lobby and are ignored.

Bill Gates rules, Bill Smith does not.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Air

150 posts, read 487,895 times
Isn't Vancouver, or anywhere in Canada, seriously more expensive to do business in than the US? With the Canadian dollar at parity, the tax rate sky high, Microsoft must be paying much higher salaries in Canada than in the US. That would imply this is not a cost-saving measure.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:16 PM

8,724 posts, read 16,813,429 times
They want to open the operation in Vancouver, which has a very similar median income as the U.S. at about $57,000 (although much lower than Redmond, WA at $77,000). The biggest thing they are probably trying to alleviate is having to spend so much on healthcare (rightfully so).

Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Air

150 posts, read 487,895 times
But in operating in Vancouver, Microsoft's profits will be taxed enormously higher.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,637,475 times
This is not the first venture for Microsoft in Canada. They have another large facility previously established in Toronto.

The move to Vancouver would avail them a pool of oriental scientists in that area. Canada is rather strict on making sure their immigration rules preclude anyone who isn't highly educated. It would also save them escalating medical coverage costs, which may be the main reason for their move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or