Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Having worked in Silicon Valley as a Senior Software Engineer I can tell you highly-skilled programmers, engineers and designers are hard to come by.

Silicon Valley employers pay the highest tech salaries in the United States and still cannot attract enough workers. This is why if you drive around Cupertino, Redwood City, San Mateo you will see a large number of Asian and East Indian immigrants.
Indeed.
I neglected to mention the fact that my other sister's husband is also in IT as I am myself so our entire family is heavily involved in that field.

SKILLED IT folks are indeed very hard to find.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I just think Americans are greedy and very anti-intellectual, just look at how many derogatory terms there are for smart people: nerds, dorks, geek...

Truth is we have been importing intelligence for centuries, now people don't want to import anymore...so what are cutting edge businesses like Microsoft supposed to do to stay on top? Bill Gates already gives millions to colleges here.
Yet when these geeks become billionaires (Bill Gates) they get all the respect in the world.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
This IT situation reminds me of other 'technology' booms in the past--------aerospace comes to mind in 1960's California.

Things were going great guns then the bottom fell out of the market: face it; what else can an aerospace designer do? There are/were a few airplane builders with just one biggie here the USA------Boeing.

I suspect the same thing will happen with IT: once the demand of techs has been filled.......something else will come along all but rendering their skills obsolete.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
This IT situation reminds me of other 'technology' booms in the past--------aerospace comes to mind in 1960's California.

Things were going great guns then the bottom fell out of the market: face it; what else can an aerospace designer do? There are/were a few airplane builders with just one biggie here the USA------Boeing.

I suspect the same thing will happen with IT: once the demand of techs has been filled.......something else will come along all but rendering their skills obsolete.

Actually the big high tech crash ALREADY happened back in 2000, things are quiet now compared to what it was like back in the 1990's.

Also, there are several aerospace companies out there besides Boeing - The big 3 are Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin and of course Boeing. In turn there are a whole lot of smaller outfits that support these (as well as doing their own thing). You wouldn't believe how many aerospace companies there are in Wichita for example.

And course keep in mind too that IT is distinct from Aerospace Design and Engineering. The really big boom in IT back in the late 1990's had almost nothing to do with Aerospace - it was fostered by the PC boom.

Ken

Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
IT is totally different than Aerospace, IT jobs can had in virtually every sector of business. Aerospace is limited to just that, Aero, I know I have a BS in Aerospace Engineering jobs are scarce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration