U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Seems to me... none of you can define Hispanic...Who classifed people as Hispanic? You can even tell me what that means. You all use terms you dont even know where they came from, when they came into existance, and the reason they came into existance. What official US government Document declares anyone to be Hispanic.

 
Old 10-29-2010, 01:34 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Seems to me... none of you can define Hispanic...Who classifed people as Hispanic? You can even tell me what that means. You all use terms you dont even know where they came from, when they came into existance, and the reason they came into existance. What official US government Document declares anyone to be Hispanic.
Look it up yourself. For one thing, Hispanic was a catagory created by the U.S. government for the census to determine how many Spanish speakers or those who identify themselves as being of the Hispanic culture that are living in this country. Probably another Affirmative Action motive behind that one.

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-29-2010 at 02:31 PM..
 
Old 10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What is the hispanic culture? explain what other than [language?] makes Hispanics so....Homogenous?

Please dont say their ancestry to Spain.
Well, let's just ask YOU this then. Do you consider yourself to be a Hispanic culturally? Do you speak Spanish?

Defined in the dictionary Hispanic is a culture with its roots found in Spain and includes those whose native langauge is Spanish.
 
Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well, let's just ask YOU this then. Do you consider yourself to be a Hispanic culturally? Do you speak Spanish?

Defined in the dictionary Hispanic is a culture with its roots found in Spain and includes those whose native langauge is Spanish.
Im an American,First and Foremost with deep ties to Southcental Texas.

I speak, write and read...Spanish, French and some Italian.

I own no US or State Document that classifies me as Hispanic.

where the Dictionary came up with that clasification...I dont know.

I have almosty nothing in common with a person from Argentina other than we speak Spanish. I have more in common culturally with a Black sharecropper from Mississippi then I do that that guy from Argentina.
 
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Im an American,First and Foremost with deep ties to Southcental Texas.

I speak, write and read...Spanish, French and some Italian.

I own no US or State Document that classifies me as Hispanic.

where the Dictionary came up with that clasification...I dont know.

I have almosty nothing in common with a person from Argentina other than we speak Spanish. I have more in common culturally with a Black sharecropper from Mississippi then I do that that guy from Argentina.
American is a nationality aka the U.S. I didn't ask you what your nationality is. You didn't answer my question as usual. How do you define the culture that you identify with? What country were your original ancestors from?

There are no U.S. "documents" that classifies you as Hispanic. It is a catagory on the census as I told you.

I think the dictionary will clarify for you what is considered to be a Hispanic. If you don't agree with it. That is your problem.
 
Old 10-29-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Im an American,First and Foremost with deep ties to Southcental Texas.

I speak, write and read...Spanish, French and some Italian.

I own no US or State Document that classifies me as Hispanic.

where the Dictionary came up with that clasification...I dont know.

I have almosty nothing in common with a person from Argentina other than we speak Spanish. I have more in common culturally with a Black sharecropper from Mississippi then I do that that guy from Argentina.
Then I suggest you ask YOUR government where THEY came up with the term for all EEOC and census docs.

Oh and your pro illegal friends don't seem to mind pushing the Hispanic or Latino terms when it suits their agenda, so you might like to take it up with them as well.
 
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,514,007 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Look it up yourself. For one thing, Hispanic was a catagory created by the U.S. government for the census to determine how many Spanish speakers or those who identify themselves as being of the Hispanic culture that are living in this country. Probably another Affirmative Action motive behind that one.
WRONG. I'd tell you how I really feel about that disgustingly ignorant and bigoted statement of yours, but I'd likely get banned from the website. Though I am a Latina against illegal immigration, it's tough to be on the side of people who say statements like these. Please tell me, why WOULD any Latino person with any self respect want to align themselves with someone who makes these types of comments? Who wants to look like a complete fool? And by the way, I NEVER asked for affirmative action. I never personally petitioned for affirmative action. AA was mandated by Johnson sometime in the late sixties. If you have a problem with it, take it up with him. And I, to my knowledge, doubt I've benefited from AA either.

Latino and Hispanic were terms created out of political opportunism by Nixon.
"Amid the African American civil rights struggle of the 1960s, many of these groups joined hands to demand voting rights, bilingual education and social services. Here they received a big assist from an unlikely source: Richard Nixon. Eager to bring Mexicans and other Latino immigrants into the Republican fold, Nixon also saw them as a potential bulwark against black political aspirations....

So Nixon threw his weight behind bilingual education, which has since become a bete noire for the GOP. He also ordered the Census Bureau to add a query on its 1970 form asking whether respondents were "Hispanic," hoping to further solidify this new voting bloc.

Census Bureau officials balked, noting -- correctly -- that the term lacked scientific and historical precision. They also worried that respondents wouldn't recognize it. So the most commonly used census form in 1970 asked respondents if they were of "Spanish" origin, not whether they were Hispanic."

Judge Sotomayor, a mythic 'Hispanic' - Los Angeles Times
 
Old 10-29-2010, 06:23 PM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,514,007 times
Reputation: 607
"Hispanic", by the way, originally meant "Spanish speaking white person from Spain" before Nixon hijacked it.
 
Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Look it up yourself. For one thing, Hispanic was a catagory created by the U.S. government for the census to determine how many Spanish speakers or those who identify themselves as being of the Hispanic culture that are living in this country. Probably another Affirmative Action motive behind that one.
The term "hispanic" as a race or special disadvantaged "minority" (even where they are the majority) came about for the purpose of Affirmative Action.

Before then most referred to themselves as Spanish-Americans but that implies European people that of course wouldn't be able to claim their quotas and special programs.

What is very odd - people from Mexico and even illegals don't catch onto the "hispanic" label immediately, that's not how they ever viewed themselves back home but once they realize it's a victim group that can demand special rights, including the right to demand US citizenship because they came here illegally, they catch on quite fast.
 
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
WRONG. I'd tell you how I really feel about that disgustingly ignorant and bigoted statement of yours, but I'd likely get banned from the website. Though I am a Latina against illegal immigration, it's tough to be on the side of people who say statements like these. Please tell me, why WOULD any Latino person with any self respect want to align themselves with someone who makes these types of comments? Who wants to look like a complete fool? And by the way, I NEVER asked for affirmative action. I never personally petitioned for affirmative action. AA was mandated by Johnson sometime in the late sixties. If you have a problem with it, take it up with him. And I, to my knowledge, doubt I've benefited from AA either.

Latino and Hispanic were terms created out of political opportunism by Nixon.
"Amid the African American civil rights struggle of the 1960s, many of these groups joined hands to demand voting rights, bilingual education and social services. Here they received a big assist from an unlikely source: Richard Nixon. Eager to bring Mexicans and other Latino immigrants into the Republican fold, Nixon also saw them as a potential bulwark against black political aspirations....

So Nixon threw his weight behind bilingual education, which has since become a bete noire for the GOP. He also ordered the Census Bureau to add a query on its 1970 form asking whether respondents were "Hispanic," hoping to further solidify this new voting bloc.

Census Bureau officials balked, noting -- correctly -- that the term lacked scientific and historical precision. They also worried that respondents wouldn't recognize it. So the most commonly used census form in 1970 asked respondents if they were of "Spanish" origin, not whether they were Hispanic."

Judge Sotomayor, a mythic 'Hispanic' - Los Angeles Times
Really the labels are just what box people choose to check. It's not as though anyone comes after you for a DNA sample to prove some kind of claim to some race category.

I know people who check off "hispanic" when applying for college grants and financial aid so they don't have to worry about tuition costs or admission standards. So far, none has been "caught" even if blue-eyed blond because "hispanics" can be blue-eyed blond and they can be extremely wealthy but claim victim status all the same and reap the rewards.

Here on the border, upper middle class families from Mexico will enroll their children in Head Start as a free day care service and babysitting because for Spanish speakers it's free and doesn't require income criteria.

The opportunism works both ways - it's a large and fast growing group for the pandering politicians and for the La Raza leaders but also it's a victim class that is "entitled" to lots of government help. Never mind that many legal immigrants from Spanish speaking nations are not any worse off than many legal immigrants from other nations and certainly people whose families have been here for many generations are like other Americans and the so-called "hispanic" race was never brought as slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top