U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
WRONG. I'd tell you how I really feel about that disgustingly ignorant and bigoted statement of yours, but I'd likely get banned from the website. Though I am a Latina against illegal immigration, it's tough to be on the side of people who say statements like these. Please tell me, why WOULD any Latino person with any self respect want to align themselves with someone who makes these types of comments? Who wants to look like a complete fool? And by the way, I NEVER asked for affirmative action. I never personally petitioned for affirmative action. AA was mandated by Johnson sometime in the late sixties. If you have a problem with it, take it up with him. And I, to my knowledge, doubt I've benefited from AA either.

Latino and Hispanic were terms created out of political opportunism by Nixon.
"Amid the African American civil rights struggle of the 1960s, many of these groups joined hands to demand voting rights, bilingual education and social services. Here they received a big assist from an unlikely source: Richard Nixon. Eager to bring Mexicans and other Latino immigrants into the Republican fold, Nixon also saw them as a potential bulwark against black political aspirations....

So Nixon threw his weight behind bilingual education, which has since become a bete noire for the GOP. He also ordered the Census Bureau to add a query on its 1970 form asking whether respondents were "Hispanic," hoping to further solidify this new voting bloc.

Census Bureau officials balked, noting -- correctly -- that the term lacked scientific and historical precision. They also worried that respondents wouldn't recognize it. So the most commonly used census form in 1970 asked respondents if they were of "Spanish" origin, not whether they were Hispanic."

Judge Sotomayor, a mythic 'Hispanic' - Los Angeles Times
Look deary, that is the mindset of our government to give AA to every minority including Hispanics. I didn't say that Hispanics asked for it or that they use it so put aside your false accusations of me of being a bigot. I can't help what our government does or why they do it.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The term "hispanic" as a race or special disadvantaged "minority" (even where they are the majority) came about for the purpose of Affirmative Action.

Before then most referred to themselves as Spanish-Americans but that implies European people that of course wouldn't be able to claim their quotas and special programs.

What is very odd - people from Mexico and even illegals don't catch onto the "hispanic" label immediately, that's not how they ever viewed themselves back home but once they realize it's a victim group that can demand special rights, including the right to demand US citizenship because they came here illegally, they catch on quite fast.
Thanks, malamute. I just got called a bigot for saying the same thing. We can't help why or what our government decides to do in regards to minorities. Facts aren't bigotry.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,524,913 times
Tremendous argument. 70% of the native born thing immigrants are a good thing versus 85% of the foreign born. Now there is a really bitter argument.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:09 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,385,966 times
Hummm....read it again, OleCapt. It says 50% thought illegals were an asset in 2007. That fell to less than one third.

The numbers you are citing are for immigrants...not illegals!!!

You continue to confuse the two.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,524,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Hummm....read it again, OleCapt. It says 50% thought illegals were an asset in 2007. That fell to less than one third.

The numbers you are citing are for immigrants...not illegals!!!

You continue to confuse the two.
Just checked. It appears I said immigrants. You don't understand immigrants?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,090,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Look it up yourself. For one thing, Hispanic was a catagory created by the U.S. government for the census to determine how many Spanish speakers or those who identify themselves as being of the Hispanic culture that are living in this country. Probably another Affirmative Action motive behind that one.

A catagory of what?

Now hispanic = spanish speaker?

Hispanic culture? what is that?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:00 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,090,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Look it up yourself. For one thing, Hispanic was a catagory created by the U.S. government for the census to determine how many Spanish speakers or those who identify themselves as being of the Hispanic culture that are living in this country. Probably another Affirmative Action motive behind that one.

"those who identify themselves as being of the Hispanic [culture]"?
So only those that identify themselves with being "hispanic" are in that "group". All others are what they IDENTIFY themselves to be?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
A catagory of what?

Now hispanic = spanish speaker?

Hispanic culture? what is that?
We have all explained to you what the dictionary describes as a Hispanic and who are government considers to be a Hispanic. Why are you continuing on with this this? It is up to the individual when taking the census whether or not they consider themselves to be Hispanic and it is their choice to check that box or not.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Tremendous argument. 70% of the native born thing immigrants are a good thing versus 85% of the foreign born. Now there is a really bitter argument.
Who mentioned “bitter argument” other than you? The article states they are “split.” It certainly looks like a split to me. In fact, it’s almost an even split between positive, negative, and makes no difference.

Quote:
Hispanics are split when asked to assess the effect of illegal immigration on Hispanics living in the United States: 29% say they've had a positive impact, 31% negative and 30% believe it made no difference, according to the study from the non-partisan Pew Hispanic Center. That is a sharp decline from a 2007 survey, when 50% of Hispanics said illegal immigrants were having a positive impact.

Even a difference between 69% and 85% is significant.

Quote:
When asked if immigrants are a strength, 69% of native-born Hispanics agreed, compared with 85% of new arrivals.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 AM

640 posts, read 1,515,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
"those who identify themselves as being of the Hispanic [culture]"?
So only those that identify themselves with being "hispanic" are in that "group". All others are what they IDENTIFY themselves to be?
Why do you keep going on with this? You are going around in circles making no sense whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or