U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,180,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Improbable. they have little orientation toward illegals. More native born and legals.

Did you ever read any of their stuff? They have a page you probably ought to read...deals with the garbage the right spreads about them.

National Council of La Raza | The Truth About NCLR.
They are one of many Hispanic advocacy groups that are pro-amnesty/CIR, the Dream Act, etc. and they are very vocal about it. These are things that will benefit illegal aliens of their ethnic group more than any other as most illegals are from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,589,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They are one of many Hispanic advocacy groups that are pro-amnesty/CIR, the Dream Act, etc. and they are very vocal about it. These are things that will benefit illegal aliens of their ethnic group more than any other as most illegals are from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries.
Would you actually expect any major hispanic group to oppose the dream act or amnesty?

I don't believe NCLR is particularly vocal. Cite a source for that judgement.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Would you actually expect any major hispanic group to oppose the dream act or amnesty?

I don't believe NCLR is particularly vocal. Cite a source for that judgement.
I would expect any American to be against it because it is rewarding lawbreakers, affecting American jobs and benefits, etc. However, many if not most Hispanics put ethnicity above nationalism.

Janet Marguia who is like the head honcho of the NCLR has been very vocal on shows like O'Reilly, etc. about their stance on amnesty, etc. I haven't seen her lately but a year or two ago she was on many tv shows such as that. Even calling those opposed to amnesty, racists, etc.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I would expect any American to be against it because it is rewarding lawbreakers, affecting American jobs and benefits, etc. However, many if not most Hispanics put ethnicity above nationalism.

Janet Marguia who is like the head honcho of the NCLR has been very vocal on shows like O'Reilly, etc. about their stance on amnesty, etc. I haven't seen her lately but a year or two ago she was on many tv shows such as that. Even calling those opposed to amnesty, racists, etc.
Janet on NCLR and illegals...

"NCLR, like Chavez and the UFW, is an advocate for comprehensive immigration reform, but does not support illegal immigration. NCLR urges lawmakers to pass comprehensive immigration reform for the sake of all of America's workers, for the very same reasons that Navarrette cites--maintaining fair wages, leveling the playing field of America's workforce, and upholding high workplace standards. Navarrette fails to grasp that unscrupulous employers are currently benefiting from our broken immigration system by exploiting vulnerable workers, paying unfair wages, and depressing compensation for all American workers, especially in the agriculture, meat-processing, and other industries often occupied by low-wage and undocumented workers. "

She sounds rational to me...

Old 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Janet on NCLR and illegals...

"NCLR, like Chavez and the UFW, is an advocate for comprehensive immigration reform, but does not support illegal immigration. NCLR urges lawmakers to pass comprehensive immigration reform for the sake of all of America's workers, for the very same reasons that Navarrette cites--maintaining fair wages, leveling the playing field of America's workforce, and upholding high workplace standards. Navarrette fails to grasp that unscrupulous employers are currently benefiting from our broken immigration system by exploiting vulnerable workers, paying unfair wages, and depressing compensation for all American workers, especially in the agriculture, meat-processing, and other industries often occupied by low-wage and undocumented workers. "

She sounds rational to me...
She only sounds rational to those who also want amnesty/CIR for illegal aliens. Whether you want to admit it or not her position is based on the fact that most of these illegals are of her ethnic group. If the majority were Chinese Janet wouldn't give a damn about them. She'd probably be on our side and so would all the rest of the raza groups.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
She only sounds rational to those who also want amnesty/CIR for illegal aliens. Whether you want to admit it or not her position is based on the fact that most of these illegals are of her ethnic group. If the majority were Chinese Janet wouldn't give a damn about them. She'd probably be on our side and so would all the rest of the raza groups.
Well no. I don't have a drop of hispanic blood as far as I know...nor do I support illegals unless they are working in a fast food restaurant I frequent.

But I still support amnesty of some kind in that I think the problem is not solvable unless we get the illegal population down to a few hundred thousand.

And now we have something like three million American children caught up in the mess. I do not want to see them go to Mexico and then return as they turn 18...an absolute disaster would unfold. Somewhat bitter. Virtually certain to be discriminated against in Mexico and poorly schooled. Then they return here looking for the milk and honey.

Now it might well be that a group like NCLR would consider an influx of chinese a very bad thing...which might well make perfect sense. If the new chinese are going to compete economically with the Mexican Americans I can see why opposition could occur.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Well no. I don't have a drop of hispanic blood as far as I know...nor do I support illegals unless they are working in a fast food restaurant I frequent.

But I still support amnesty of some kind in that I think the problem is not solvable unless we get the illegal population down to a few hundred thousand.

And now we have something like three million American children caught up in the mess. I do not want to see them go to Mexico and then return as they turn 18...an absolute disaster would unfold. Somewhat bitter. Virtually certain to be discriminated against in Mexico and poorly schooled. Then they return here looking for the milk and honey.

Now it might well be that a group like NCLR would consider an influx of chinese a very bad thing...which might well make perfect sense. If the new chinese are going to compete economically with the Mexican Americans I can see why opposition could occur.
I wasn't suggesting that you are Hispanic. There are also lefty, liberals that echo this amnesty nonsense. There are whites who feel eternally guilty over the past whether it be over the native indian conquest or the Mexican war and will forever try to make it up to minorties.

You're entitled to you opinion about amnesty but I am totally opposed to it.

As for your last statement, the illegals are already competing against American Hispanics for jobs but the advocacy groups such as La Raza are looking at the long term picture and that is to become politically, culturally and numerically dominant in this country. They have their eye on the brass ring. So yes, they would be opposed to millions of Chinese here illegally but not for the reasons you are suggesting.

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-30-2010 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that you are Hispanic. There are also lefty, liberals that echo this amnesty nonsense. There are whites who feel eternally guilty over the past whether it be over the native indian conquest or the Mexican war and will forever try to make it up to minorties.

You're entitled to you opinion about amnesty but I am totally opposed to it.
I am not into guilt nor particularly liberal about this stuff. Just practical.

I am looking for a rational basis for your view...and you appear to be responding with emotion but no facts. Punishing law breakers won't make it. And many of the illegals are not law breakers. Is a kid brought into the US at three a lawbreaker? Should he be punished for his non crime when he turns 18? I don't think so.

Quote:
As for your last statement, the illegals are already competing against American Hispanics for jobs but the advocacy groups such as La Raza are looking at the long term picture and that is to become politically, culturally and numerically dominant in this country. They have their eye on the brass key. So yes, they would be opposed to millions of Chinese here illegally but not for the reasons you are suggesting.
Nah they are not. They are in the club. You don't punish your nephew for joining you.

Why is it you think they would oppose the chinese? They don't like slanted eyes?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I am not into guilt nor particularly liberal about this stuff. Just practical.

I am looking for a rational basis for your view...and you appear to be responding with emotion but no facts. Punishing law breakers won't make it. And many of the illegals are not law breakers. Is a kid brought into the US at three a lawbreaker? Should he be punished for his non crime when he turns 18? I don't think so.

Nah they are not. They are in the club. You don't punish your nephew for joining you.

Why is it you think they would oppose the chinese? They don't like slanted eyes?
I have stated my reasons over and over in here and they pretty much echo the same reasons as the majority in here so I am sure you have read them already and they aren't based on emotion. I really don't feel like posting them over and over again and that isn't a cop out as you have implied before.

You're kidding that many of the illegals aren't lawbreakers, right? Not only do they break the law by coming here illegally but many if not most commit document fraud, don't pay income taxes if they are working under the table, etc.

So to return a kid to his homeland is punishing him?

I only used the Chinese as an example. It could be Somalians, Haitians, etc. La Raza would still be prostesting illegal immigration and be anti-amnesty for any other majority groups other than Hispanics.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,981,094 times
Ever notice that it's always been thrown at those who are ANTI illegals that they're being too "emotional" ? Never seems to be the pro illegals that are emotional LOL

Wonder why it's only those on one side that are supposed to ONLY have "rational justification" for resenting illegal immigration and the lack of enforcement of immigration laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or