Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,950 times

Advertisements

An idea crossed my mind a while back which, if implemented, will virtually stop all cross border criminal activities (both directions). I have discussed this solution with peers, colleagues, friends and family, and all agree it is a solution that, although costly and immense in scope, is viable and sustainable. I contacted many media sources and government officials without much response and thought you might be interested in reading about this solution and perhaps sharing your thoughts about it with me.

This solution won’t be easy to accomplish (things worthwhile rarely are). Difficult, yes; impossible, no. We have the technology and the ability and, it will take time and a great deal of money to accomplish. Even so, there could be dramatic immediate results if done right. The cost will be high, yes, but what price do you put on the thousands of lives that could potentially be spared?

This project, if undertaken, will provide jobs for thousands upon thousands of workers at all levels on both sides of the border for many years to come during the establishing stage and thousands during the operational stage.

Imagine, a solution that not only stops practically all cross border crime, but one that creates thousands of jobs, stops the need for drug cartels to battle for turf killing innocent citizens, elected officials and themselves, while humanely stopping illegal immigration, reducing to a trickle trafficking of all kinds and, if done right, would reduce pollution, provide a reduction of cost for transportation of goods and create a functional and useful barrier instead of an ugly, ineffective fence.

This solution, which I call The "Grand" (taken from the Rio Grande) Canal is a functional canal extending from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean along the US/Mexican border following, for a large portion, the Rio Grande.

Think about it.

Fred Young
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
I thought about it

Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
What specifically does your plan entail? How will a canal end the cartel violence?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
Topography. Have you ever driven from San Diego to Yuma?

Make sure it's wider than Falcon Lake because that is a conduit not a not a barrier to smuggling.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,950 times
The drug cartels main business is smuggling. A canal would be an uncrossable barrier and there would no longer be smuggling across our border, so, no more need to fight for turf. The need for cartel presence along our mutual border would cease to exist.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysonthewall View Post
The drug cartels main business is smuggling. A canal would be an uncrossable barrier and there would no longer be smuggling across our border, so, no more need to fight for turf. The need for cartel presence along our mutual border would cease to exist.
Ever heard of boats, rafts? We already have the Rio Grande separating our two countries. Isn't that kind of like a canal?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
You want to make a cut 3,000-4,000 feet deep, with a canal at the bottom, through the Jacumba Mountains east of San Diego?

As chicagonut mentioned - half the boundary length is already a river - the Rio Grande. It is not a deterrent.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Ever heard of boats, rafts? We already have the Rio Grande separating our two countries. Isn't that kind of like a canal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
You want to make a cut 3,000-4,000 feet deep, with a canal at the bottom, through the Jacumba Mountains east of San Diego?

As chicagonut mentioned - half the boundary length is already a river - the Rio Grande. It is not a deterrent.
Absolutely! Not to mention, helicopters and planes. As we know, drug cartels have billions of dollars at their disposal. They certainly won’t be impeded by a canal.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,721 times
Interesting idea flysonthewall

Certain parts might work along with a few gators

However the best and proven way so far has been
the double fence like in the San Diego sector along with
boot's on the ground and the authority to act in
America's best interest, Something this and past
administrations have been unable to do

As for the current administration stating that the borders
have never been 'More Secure' I'll beg to differ to their
smoke screen path to amnesty.

Here is case and point that, As long as the murders, rapes, kidnappings, ID theft, and credit fraud is happening to everyone EXCEPT our elected local/state/federal officials, their family members, and close friends -- illegal Entry into the U.S.A. is officially NOT A PROBLEM.

Exclusive: Tracking Smugglers In Ariz. Desert - 5 Investigates News Story - KPHO Phoenix

Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,589 times
A half baked idea, by any other name, is still a half baked idea.

From where do you suppose we might get the revenue for this grand canal?
In Manhattan, the MTA is spending 16 billion dollars
to extend a subway line, a mere 30 city blocks, two or three miles at best. You must still believe that money grows on trees, we can't
even find enough funding to feed or house many people, countless jobs have been outsourced or lost, people have been forced to eat
out of charity food pantries or dumpsters, oil prices have gone through the roof, government is busy reinforcing the military-industrial
complex, we're in hock up to our eyeballs to the Chinese and whereas they were willing to supply a good portion of the labor during the
building and construction of the Central Pacific railroad, one hundred and forty years ago, I just don't think that the Chinese need the
work these days. I don't think that the Mexicans are looking for the work either.

<"The cost will be high, yes, but what price do you put on the thousands of lives that could potentially be spared?">

What would possibly make you believe that the government would be even remotely concerned with sparing or saving lives?

The government has many obscure plans about many issues but I hardly think that any of these plans supports a proposed outcome,
designed to save lives. If they cared at all about the borders, I would expect to see them moving forward on the issue in a positive
direction rather than keeping the issue tied-up in the endless stream of political football as they have been doing for so long now.
If the concern for sealing our borders was genuine, I am sure that there are more practical methods, less costly but equally effective
but I am just as certain, that our government has their own plans and ideas and that those "solutions" will naturally take precedence
over any others. Until a light bulb goes on in some remote corner of the White house which forces the government to resolve the
drug war and the illegal immigrant situation, it's for sure that we'll keep spinning our wheels and continue to lose ground in our fleeting
hope, to recover from the damage that our political administrators have already done to our once great system and this once proud nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration