U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Why don't you tell that to all of the blue collar workers, whose jobs were eliminated because of automation.
Who makes the "automated equipment" and parts for the equpment. Who maintains,distrubutes and assembles all this? that's all blue collar.

You must be dreaming about the movie "short circuit"............#5 is alive!

Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,966,246 times
This is all hogwash. For one, it isn't racist to put the blame on illegals. While it is wrong for employers to hire illegals, it is also the illegals whom illegally came into the country. Secondly, most people opposed to illegal immigration aren't racist against mexicans nor do they stereotype mexicans as being a completely monolithic group, but the fact remains that most illegals come from Mexico. Racism is a word that pro illegals love to throw around and call anti illegals racist since illegals are principally from Mexico. This just makes pro illegals look ignorant and uninformed. Thirdly, putting all the blame on greedy employers won't stop illegal immigration. Many illegals are involved in drug trafficking and fraud. Many of them are able to get fake IDs which helps them get social security. I don't see why we don't do what every other country does with illegals-imprison and deport them. Pro illegals never want to blame illegals and have them face consequences for their actions.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
Quote:
You can quit with the hysterics. I couldn't get hired for minimum wage jobs, because I'm over-qualified. So I'm never going to compete with illegal aliens, for a job. And don't make this thread about ME. You, and so many posters on this forum, have done that to death!

Now to go back to the topic. I may not be an expert on illegal immigration, and I don't claim to have all of the answers. But all I'm seeing on this thread, is lots of outrage from most of you posters on this thread, without any of you coming up with solutions. So I guess I should stay off of this thread. So much rage, so little objective thinking!
There have been PLENTY of "constructive solutions" offered. Maybe YOU should do a little research among the threads here before espousing your opinion of what the members here have and haven't done.

Of course those "solutions" may not sit well with your viewpoint as they in the majority rest on enforcing the immigration laws of this country and not giving illegals a "free pass".

and fwiw don't be so sure you won't be competing with them. Ask all the people with degrees (both over AND under 50) over on the UE forum who have exhausted their benefits trying to get a job and are now looking for ANYTHING that will keep them afloat, over qualified or not. Except as they are finding out, those jobs just aren't there, but it couldn't POSSIBLY be because there are 8 MILLION illegals working jobs in this country that they are not legally entitled to hold, could it?

Last edited by Opyelie; 01-10-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,384,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually Las Vegas was very much in the middle of much of that. But you have the players wrong...it was the unions versus the non union shops...and the union shops lost at least in residental construction. .

The workers involved in the non-union shops were hispanic but only a small portion were illegal. Now of course to do construction work in LV you just about have to speak Spanish.

You might also note that a large portion of the ownership and management of the companies that broke the union shops were Anglos.

A further point is that they are reasonably well paid...though not by union standards.

I'm wondering how you can know this? I believe you have stated in the past that you can't tell an illegal from an immigrant. You have stated that it was racist and bigoted to make these asumptions. Then you go on to point out that Anglos broke the unions. Of course you will miss the hypocracy of your statements. JMO

Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
You can quit with the hysterics. I couldn't get hired for minimum wage jobs, because I'm over-qualified. So I'm never going to compete with illegal aliens, for a job. And don't make this thread about ME. You, and so many posters on this forum, have done that to death!

Now to go back to the topic. I may not be an expert on illegal immigration, and I don't claim to have all of the answers. But all I'm seeing on this thread, is lots of outrage from most of you posters on this thread, without any of you coming up with solutions. So I guess I should stay off of this thread. So much rage, so little objective thinking!
Are you kidding me? Just about every member of this forum has offered their own solution to this problem. The problem with those like you however is that you think they aren't solutions because it doesn't fit with your solution.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Quote:

Quote:
So I guess I should stay off of this thread.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,386,453 times
Quote:
If you don't fear losing a job to an illegal, like you said, then you have nothing to worry about.
I fear having to subsidize someone's illegal migration. I fear having to pay their medical costs, retirement costs, transportation costs and the educational costs of their children. So should you.

Quote:

The solution is very simple: obey our immigration laws or go home. Enforce the law, penalize law breakers and be done with it. Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,905,589 times
Quote:
What I give a d*mn about, is looking at the situation from a rational point of view, and not just blindly blaming immigrants, for the problems of joblessness. The kind of jobs that I'm talking about that Americans won't do, are the fruit picking, sweat-shop garmet jobs, poultry processing jobs, and, maid jobs.

With regards to youths, blue collar jobs have been disappearing for decades. And that's because the economy has eliminated many of those jobs, since the 80s. The service industry, contains the majority of the jobs these days. So youths should prepare themselves for service-sector jobs.

Those blue-collar jobs that the immigrants take to survive, are not the jobs of the future. If young people want a leg-up in our economy, the smart thing for them to do, is go to college, and/or get formal training for the professional, service-sector, and technical jobs.

Well my Family has worked Poultry Processing,Pickers,Any Field work including Chopping Ctton and Beans,Garmet Industry,Health Care,Construction for over 50 years.And have lost alot of it to Illegals or Jobs leaving the country.This is the only work that has ever been here.

My Son was working Construction $8 an hour.Couple Illegals took his Job because they said they would work for $4 an hour.

Now go spread you uneducated stupid message elswhere!

brushrunner

Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,293,306 times
This thread is going nowhere constructive, and the last thing we need here are more insults.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or