U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I wasn't race-baiting, and was only wondering why so many WHITES, are upset with the immigration issue. I haven't seen very many people of color, that are up-in-arms about immigrants. The fact of the matter is, illegal immigrants don't control the economy.

I've heard about immigrants taking construction jobs away from Americans. Whyt are Americans clamboring to be construction workers, when they can train for better jobs? Construction jobs are so few and far between, that it would be wise to train for something else. Americans who are already English-speaking citizens, have the advantage of being able to get training, for higher-paying, service-secto jobs.
Could it be because whites are the majority in this country? Just like most illegals are Mexicans? That doesn't mean however that other races don't oppose illegal immigration. We have a cross section of races and ethnicticies in this forum who oppose illegal immigration and have been impacted negatively by it. Why do you keep referring to people of color? Agenda much, hmm?

Construction has merely slowed down with the economy. It will pick up again and there will be another construction boom in the future. This country has had its ups and downs since its founding. Temporarily yes, American construction workers have had to seek other work but many will want to return to their trade of choice once the economy picks up again. Funny though, what construction I have seen going on there is a large Spanish speaking workforce, hmmm. Again, you are suggesting that Americans should move on to other jobs so to make way for an illegal workforce? Nice American loyalties there!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
I wasn't race-baiting, and was only wondering why so many WHITES, are upset with the immigration issue. I haven't seen very many people of color, that are up-in-arms about immigrants. The fact of the matter is, illegal immigrants don't control the economy.

I've heard about immigrants taking construction jobs away from Americans. Whyt are Americans clamboring to be construction workers, when they can train for better jobs? Construction jobs are so few and far between, that it would be wise to train for something else. Americans who are already English-speaking citizens, have the advantage of being able to get training, for higher-paying, service-secto jobs.
Your ignorance knows no bounds if you seriously think service sector jobs pay higher than construction.

Why don't you come back and "educate" us when your UE runs out and like so many Americans you can't even find a "minimum wage" job to keep a roof over your head because they're taken up by illegals?

Last edited by Opyelie; 01-10-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
Yeah, go ahead and mock my post via your icons. But it's obvious that you can't provide proof, regarding Americans wanting to do the jobs that immigrants will do!
Being a Certified,(blue collar) Working class American is enough proof.

You can't provide proof that Americans WON"T do those jobs. If you think you can.......DO IT!

Other than that, it's all speculation, hear say and assumption.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
Yeah, go ahead and mock my post via your icons. But it's obvious that you can't provide proof, regarding Americans wanting to do the jobs that immigrants will do!
Once again, this is a forum about ILLEGAL immigration, NOT "immigrants".

Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
artwomyn wrote:What I give a d*mn about, is looking at the situation from a rational point of view, and not just blindly blaming immigrants, for the problems of joblessness. The kind of jobs that I'm talking about that Americans won't do, are the fruit picking, sweat-shop garmet jobs, poultry processing jobs, and, maid jobs.
First "sweat shops" are illegal and mostly found overseas.

Most of the occupations you mentioned were career jobs, held by US Citizens.
The only difference was (besides supessed wages) the occupations went by different names.

Factory work and Janitorial work.
Now if those names were still used, it would be very hard for illegals and their enablers to claim that American workers refuse to do these jobs

Quote:
Those blue-collar jobs that the immigrants take to survive,
Quote:
are not the jobs of the future.
If young people want a leg-up in our economy, the smart thing for them to do, is go to college, and/or get formal training for the professional, service-sector, and technical jobs

Without blue collar jobs, white collar and technological jobs wouldn't exist.

That's the way it is, that's the way it always will be. No matter what kind of changes are made on anything.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Wages have DROPPED because of the illegals in many places like construction. Nope: we dont need em here.
Actually Las Vegas was very much in the middle of much of that. But you have the players wrong...it was the unions versus the non union shops...and the union shops lost at least in residental construction. .

The workers involved in the non-union shops were hispanic but only a small portion were illegal. Now of course to do construction work in LV you just about have to speak Spanish.

You might also note that a large portion of the ownership and management of the companies that broke the union shops were Anglos.

A further point is that they are reasonably well paid...though not by union standards.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,904,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
First "sweat shops" are illegal and mostly found overseas.

Most of the occupations you mentioned were career jobs, held by US Citizens.
The only difference was (besides supessed wages) the occupations went by different names.

Factory work and Janitorial work.
Now if those names were still used, it would be very hard for illegals and their enablers to claim that American workers refuse to do these jobs

Without blue collar jobs, white collar and technological jobs wouldn't exist.

That's the way it is, that's the way it always will be. No matter what kind of changes are made on anything.
Why don't you tell that to all of the blue collar workers, whose jobs were eliminated because of automation.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 PM

"The workers involved in the non-union shops were hispanic but only a small portion were illegal. Now of course to do construction work in LV you just about have to speak Spanish."

Now why would someone have to speak Spanish to get a construction job unless there were a lot of illegals working those jobs? Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Why don't you tell that to all of the blue collar workers, whose jobs were eliminated because of automation.
Last I heard construction, restaurant, janitorial and hospitality jobs hadn't been automated. Even in factories, it takes someone to operate these automation machines. If most blue collar jobs have been automated and don't require workers anymore then why are there 12 million plus illegals in this country seeking blue collar jobs?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,904,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Your ignorance knows no bounds if you seriously think service sector jobs pay higher than construction.

Why don't you come back and "educate" us when your UE runs out and like so many Americans you can't even find a "minimum wage" job to keep a roof over your head because they're taken up by illegals?
You can quit with the hysterics. I couldn't get hired for minimum wage jobs, because I'm over-qualified. So I'm never going to compete with illegal aliens, for a job. And don't make this thread about ME. You, and so many posters on this forum, have done that to death!

Now to go back to the topic. I may not be an expert on illegal immigration, and I don't claim to have all of the answers. But all I'm seeing on this thread, is lots of outrage from most of you posters on this thread, without any of you coming up with solutions. So I guess I should stay off of this thread. So much rage, so little objective thinking!

Last edited by artwomyn; 01-10-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or