U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:08 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times

Advertisements

Immigration overhaul: Republican senators signal a partisan showdown - latimes.com
About Time !!!!

Republican Senators on the Judiciary Committee to ask Homeland Security
"How much money it needs to DEPORT EVERY ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT it encounters" !!!!!!

Now they're talking !!! Time to deal with this NOW !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
"A very substantial percentage of illegal residents are married to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents," said Paul Donnelly, a longtime activist for immigrant rights who represents American Families United. "Those citizens have rights, legal family rights, that I hope the Congress would respect. It is wrong to tell a U.S. citizen to choose between her family and her country."
Will this be an addition to the illegal immigration issue? They have known for a long time that people who are undocumented are getting married to legal residents and US Citizens for a long time now. But, did the federal, state or local governments do anything seriously to try to prevent this from happening? It seems like anyone could get married and all of a sudden that is supposed to mean something when it comes to deportation and illegal immigration. Should it? If an undocumented person cheated to get here and got married as a result, should that marriage be taken into consideration when there are talks of deportation? No, I don't think it should and it shouldn't matter if the legal spouse knew about the person's status.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:36 PM

86 posts, read 73,915 times
Been there, done that. They will "forgive" you your past ( illegal status ) if you are married to a U.S. citizen. No, I wasn't an illegal LOL But we went through it, and I learned that they "forgive" it. Makes me wonder why those people are still illegals. But then, I highly doubt that a "substantial percentage" of illegals is married to U.S. citzens. Again, they would not be illegals then.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Will this be an addition to the illegal immigration issue? They have known for a long time that people who are undocumented are getting married to legal residents and US Citizens for a long time now. But, did the federal, state or local governments do anything seriously to try to prevent this from happening? It seems like anyone could get married and all of a sudden that is supposed to mean something when it comes to deportation and illegal immigration. Should it? If an undocumented person cheated to get here and got married as a result, should that marriage be taken into consideration when there are talks of deportation? No, I don't think it should and it shouldn't matter if the legal spouse knew about the person's status.
I agree and their anchor kids should not be used as leverage for the whole family to be able to stay here either.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:03 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonInhabitant View Post
Been there, done that. They will "forgive" you your past ( illegal status ) if you are married to a U.S. citizen. No, I wasn't an illegal LOL But we went through it, and I learned that they "forgive" it. Makes me wonder why those people are still illegals. But then, I highly doubt that a "substantial percentage" of illegals is married to U.S. citzens. Again, they would not be illegals then.
If an illegal marries an LPR or USC and then applies to adjust status and they have no criminal record then they wouldn't be "illegal" at that point if granted aos, but it seems many marry and then fail to do the legal paperwork, so remain illegal thinking their marrying a legal makes them so.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:20 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
If an illegal marries an LPR or USC and then applies to adjust status and they have no criminal record then they wouldn't be "illegal" at that point if granted aos, but it seems many marry and then fail to do the legal paperwork, so remain illegal thinking their marrying a legal makes them so.
I know of a Hispanic woman on a former job of mine who married and illegal for the sole reason of helping him become legal and of course it was a monetary arrangement. He paid her to do it as they didn't really have a romantic relationship. I wish I knew the outcome of that as it was shortly before I retired. I think that is considered fraud to do that though.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I know of a Hispanic woman on a former job of mine who married and illegal for the sole reason of helping him become legal and of course it was a monetary arrangement. He paid her to do it as they didn't really have a romantic relationship. I wish I knew the outcome of that as it was shortly before I retired. I think that is considered fraud to do that though.
yup and if caught and proven marriage fraud can have pretty serious consequences.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Didn't one of Harry Reid's aides just get caught in a fraud marriage to someone up on terrorist charges? I think they let her go for coming clean.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM

3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
Hopefully any proposal they come up with gains traction really quick. I'm sick of seeing Illegal Criminals demand imaginary rights and flaunting their disrespect of America and it's laws.

It's absolutely pathetic that Obama keeps catering to their interests with his BS and false promises.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Didn't one of Harry Reid's aides just get caught in a fraud marriage to someone up on terrorist charges? I think they let her go for coming clean.
They let her go because of pressure from Harry Reid.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration