U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,447,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
During the Presidential Election I had expressed hope that Obama, being black, would understand that illegal immigration hurts poor blacks and would do something about it.
Why did you think he would care? I don't recall him ever stating that illegal immigration hurts poor blacks and therefore he we stop illegal immigrants from coming here and deporting the ones already here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
AFAIK Obama has introduced no immigration legislation and has made no changes to the existing immigration policy under Bush. He has however increased the DHS budget, hired new agents, and increased the number of deportations. It's still not enough, there aren't enough resources, and has forced a focus toward the more dangerous cases. It's still more than what the previous administrations did.
If he siezed their assets and charged their embassies and employers for the costs there would be plenty of cash to deal with this problem.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
During the Presidential Election I had expressed hope that Obama, being black, would understand that illegal immigration hurts poor blacks and would do something about it. I was wrong.

So today I am expressing my frustration at his immigration policy at the polls.
I don't know why anyone is surprised that Obama hasn't secured our borders and advocated for all illegals to be deported regardless of whether they are violent criminals or not since he took office. He told everyone right up front before he was elected that he would seek amnesty for illegal aliens in the first 3 months of him taking office. Anyone who voted for him and wanted an end to illegal immigration apparently weren't listening to what he said.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
AFAIK Obama has introduced no immigration legislation and has made no changes to the existing immigration policy under Bush. He has however increased the DHS budget, hired new agents, and increased the number of deportations. It's still not enough, there aren't enough resources, and has forced a focus toward the more dangerous cases. It's still more than what the previous administrations did.
As long as their hands are tied, nothing is accomplished by simply increasing the DHS budget, or hiring new agents. So Obama deported more illegals than Bush. Big deal. I am not a Bush apologist, but at least he didn’t release 500,000 convicted criminals; which, by the way, exceeds the number deported.

Obama is simply biding time until he can attempt another amnesty. He has halted raids, and illegals now feel so emboldened they aren’t even afraid to admit on national TV to violating our laws. Meg Whitman’s former housekeeper certainly has no fear of deportation. Nor did the illegals who were canvassing for votes. Even the blind should be able to see through this facade.

Until our laws are enforced and our borders are secured, the same people being deported return the following week. How is that an improvement over past administrations?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Why did you think he would care? I don't recall him ever stating that illegal immigration hurts poor blacks and therefore he we stop illegal immigrants from coming here and deporting the ones already here.
I remember - before the election he won - Obama saying illegals would have to get in line, learn English and pay all the back taxes they owed. He implied they wouldn't be put to the front of the immigration line but would have to wait their turn and actually have to make some effort.

That actually didn't sound so bad because tax evasion is a crime and illegals working here very often aren't paying income taxes or social security taxes but they'll be the first in line for their social security retirement checks if they ever get legal status. Getting in line implies that they can abide by the laws - if they never committed (or got caught committing) a violent crime, they could simply return home and apply to come here legally -- just like everyone else.

And when Obama suggested that they should be required to learn some English, that seemed like an intelligent suggestion.

But - after he was elected, he made it clear he never meant any of that, he intended a huge blanket amnesty and anyone making it over the border would be handed US citizenship with all it's many government benefits on a silver platter.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I remember - before the election he won - Obama saying illegals would have to get in line, learn English and pay all the back taxes they owed. He implied they wouldn't be put to the front of the immigration line but would have to wait their turn and actually have to make some effort.

That actually didn't sound so bad because tax evasion is a crime and illegals working here very often aren't paying income taxes or social security taxes but they'll be the first in line for their social security retirement checks if they ever get legal status. Getting in line implies that they can abide by the laws - if they never committed (or got caught committing) a violent crime, they could simply return home and apply to come here legally -- just like everyone else.

And when Obama suggested that they should be required to learn some English, that seemed like an intelligent suggestion.

But - after he was elected, he made it clear he never meant any of that, he intended a huge blanket amnesty and anyone making it over the border would be handed US citizenship with all it's many government benefits on a silver platter.
You have to pay attention to the politican double speak. When Obama said they would have to wait their turn in line that only meant to apply for citizenship. With amnesty/CIR they are going to be put in front of the line of immigrants already waiting in their homelands to come the legal way and that is what Obama actually meant. The line to come here should start in their homelands not here on our soil.

He acts like paying back taxes and learning English is some kind of penalty for coming here illegally so all is well. No, it isn't! It is rewarding them for violating our immigration laws by allowing them to remain here rather than deporting them and making them get back in the line that forms in their own countries.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Republicans ran on the economy and jobs. Let's hope that illegal immigration is at the heart of that. It certainly should be. Where I'm from people are really fired up about this. If nothing is done our reps will definately hear about it.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Republicans ran on the economy and jobs. Let's hope that illegal immigration is at the heart of that. It certainly should be. Where I'm from people are really fired up about this. If nothing is done our reps will definately hear about it.
Just waiting in line at the supermarket I am hearing negative remarks about illegal aliens and the greedy employers. This is a good sign. Times are changing and Americans are waking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or