U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM

31 posts, read 28,176 times

Advertisements

A Place to Call Home:
What Immigrants Say Now About Life in America
By Scott Bittle and Jonathan Rochkind, with Amber Ott and Paul Gasbarra
Prepared with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York

"We've got one more chance to do this," said Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., after a White House meeting in June. "If we fail this time around, no politician is going to take this up in a generation."

Another truth is that if we're going to overhaul immigration policy, it only makes sense to listen to the people who will be most affected by it: immigrants.

A Place to Call Home: What Immigrants Say Now About Life in America | Public Agenda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
It just sickens me when illegal aliens are referred to as "immigrants" especially when it comes from one our congressmen.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Well reading through the article and their survey questions, it appears that only 8% of those surveyed admitted to being "undocumented" so it's not really pertinent to illegal immigration.

That said, you're right, they will take what immigrants say and spin it to be what illegals say, and use that to try to "justify" a "path to citizenship" for illegals.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well reading through the article and their survey questions, it appears that only 8% of those surveyed admitted to being "undocumented" so it's not really pertinent to illegal immigration.

That said, you're right, they will take what immigrants say and spin it to be what illegals say, and use that to try to "justify" a "path to citizenship" for illegals.
Sen. Lindsey Graham was talking about making illegals, legal and yet he refers to them as "immigrants".

Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Sen. Lindsey Graham was talking about making illegals, legal and yet he refers to them as "immigrants".
Yeah, as a legal immigrant I'm sick and tired of being regarded as equivalent to scumbag illegals.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM

31 posts, read 28,176 times
Another truth is that if we're going to overhaul immigration policy, it only makes sense to listen to the people who will be most affected by it: immigrants.

This is the statement that pissed me off. Why should they care how "illegal aliens" feel about any thing? What about how I feel about someone entering my country uninvited and making themselves at home at my expense.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoeAmerican View Post

This is the statement that pissed me off. Why should they care how "illegal aliens" feel about any thing? What about how I feel about someone entering my country uninvited and making themselves at home at my expense.
I couldn't agree more. Why would our politicians listen to what illegal aliens have to say? I mean aren't they voted into congress to represent U.S. citizens and their best interests and not foreingers, especially those who don't even have a right to be in our country?

Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM

166 posts, read 212,151 times
[quote=JaneDoeAmerican;16566008]

Sheesh! Isn't this kind of like asking my neighborhood burgler to help pick out my new computer since he'll be the one stealing it later? Wouldn't want him to be disappointed, right?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Erm hello - regardless of what the moron in the article states - 92% of those surveyed self identified as LEGAL immigrants. This was NOT a survey of what ILLEGALS think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration