Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,942 times

Advertisements

It's very simple to make a distinction between the terms. An "illegal immigrant" illegally entered the country. An "undocumented" resident did not enter the country illegally, and the term "illegal immigrant" is therefore inapplicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
It's very simple to make a distinction between the terms. An "illegal immigrant" illegally entered the country. An "undocumented" resident did not enter the country illegally, and the term "illegal immigrant" is therefore inapplicable.
If an illegal immigrant entered the country illegally, than they are an alien, not an immigrant. The guy who jumps the fence is an Illegal Alien, as opposed to being an immigrant.

An immigrant with an expired visa is an immigrant that is here illegally. That (IMO) is how the term "illegal immigrant" should be used.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
If an illegal immigrant entered the country illegally, than they are an alien, not an immigrant. The guy who jumps the fence is an Illegal Alien, as opposed to being an immigrant.

An immigrant with an expired visa is an immigrant that is here illegally. That (IMO) is how the term "illegal immigrant" should be used.
Actually, no, since an immigrant is "a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence, and since both legal and illegal entrants satisfy those criteria, they are all "immigrants." The adjective "illegal" simply serves to modify the wholly applicable noun "immigrant." The term "illegal immigrant" is misleading when applied to legal entrants that are illegal residents because the implication is that their immigration was illegal, since they are being defined in a given sentence by immigrant status, and the adjective "illegal" modifies the term "immigrant."

Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, no, since an immigrant is "a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence, and since both legal and illegal entrants satisfy those criteria, they are all "immigrants." The adjective "illegal" simply serves to modify the wholly applicable noun "immigrant." The term "illegal immigrant" is misleading when applied to legal entrants that are illegal residents because the implication is that their immigration was illegal, since they are being defined in a given sentence by immigrant status, and the adjective "illegal" modifies the term "immigrant."
I think you're wrong. I understand the terms, and it doesn't satisfy the criteria of who is classified as an immigrant. There is a difference between "migrating" legally (an immigrant) and one who migrates illegally (an illegal alien, or sometimes referred to as an illegal migrant). That's the difference.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I think you're wrong. I understand the terms, and it doesn't satisfy the criteria of who is classified as an immigrant. There is a difference between "migrating" legally (an immigrant) and one who migrates illegally (an illegal alien, or sometimes referred to as an illegal migrant). That's the difference.
Yes, that's the second time you've repeated that statement, and you've not provided a justification or hint that it's anything other than a personal (and misleading) linguistic preference either time. A person who migrates is an immigrant, regardless of legal status. The adjective modifier can shed light on that legal status.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Classic obfuscation. The bottom line: We have a LEGAL immigration process. Foreigners who fail to comply with said process are ILLEGAL, and subject to deportation.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's the second time you've repeated that statement, and you've not provided a justification or hint that it's anything other than a personal (and misleading) linguistic preference either time. A person who migrates is an immigrant, regardless of legal status. The adjective modifier can shed light on that legal status.
Well, to be honest, I don't care what you think...LOL... Read the US Code and how that document uses the term "alien" when speaking of those persons who have offended the code with regards to entering the country illegally.

That is how I would expect the terms alien and illegal (illegally entering) to be understood. OK?

Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Some people seem unable to grasp the fact that "Illegal" is a dermination of a court...but people can write anything they want...wether its factually correct or not. Doesnt matter one iota to the true debate of immigration reform...not one iota.
I see, so if I rob a bank I am not really a bankrobber unless I have been caught and convicted. Gotcha ya.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:22 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I see, so if I rob a bank I am not really a bankrobber unless I have been caught and convicted. Gotcha ya.
It's more akin to the differences between break-and-entry and trespass.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
And this thread is what's wrong with this country, getting wrapped around the axle with lawyer-speak rather than common sense.

Someone who crosses the US border without permission is an illegal alien. When the illegal aliens became a flood it should have been called an invasion and the military should have been deployed with live ammunition to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration