U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,586,770 times

Advertisements

I post this here because it is obvious that an illegal immigrant is using a illegally-obtained SSN when they are working on a job under that SSN. It is not theirs. Also because stolen identity via SSNs and the illegal use of a SSN is such a huge part of illegal immigration. There are some illegal immigrants that didn't really lie on their job applications initially because they were here legally, but are now illegally here because they did not aquire their right to continue to be here, so they really wouldn't be reported using this method. Or at least I don't think so, maybe over-extending a visa also qualifies as illegally using a SSN.

Fraud Topic Fact Sheet (http://www.ssa.gov/oig/hotline/factsheets.htm#buying - broken link)

That is a link to some information from the Social Security Administration's website. I was there looking for something completely unrelated and saw this. If you work in an environment where you know someone is here illegally and yet they have a social security number on file at the job then you can report them to the Office of Inspector General (OIG). Now, of course, we know that there is a good chance they won't do anything, whether that is because of being overloaded with other work or because it is not priority to them. But, you never know. Also, if you know that someone is selling their SSN or others or are making false cards then you can report them.

Confidentiality/Anonymity (http://www.ssa.gov/oig/hotline/confidential.htm - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,871,813 times
Thanks, good info

Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Thanks - I'll have to keep this one. I wonder where you report green card fraud - that one is probably more rampant than social security number fraud. It's extremely easy to purchase green cards to use fraudulently for whatever reason. Someone can simply sell his or her green card and then report it stolen and the government replaces their "papers" in just a weeks time. This can be done over and over - no questions asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration