Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,389,058 times

Advertisements

~Congressman Under Fire After Saying Immigrants Multiply "Like Rats"~
Published November 12, 2010

Rep. Curry Todd of Tennessee likened illegal immigrant births to rats multiplying while he was questioning state officials at a committee hearing.

Rep. Curry Todd of Tennessee likened illegal immigrant births to rats multiplying while he was questioning state officials at a committee hearing.

A Tennessee lawmaker is under fire by Hispanic groups after he said immigrants are "like rats and multiply."

The Commercial Appeal reports Memphis Hispanic groups and their supporters stood outside the home of Rep. Curry Todd of Collierville on Thursday.

Todd made the comments earlier this week while he was questioning state officials at a committee hearing about whether the state-funded Cover Kids program checked citizenship before paying for health care. He was told that the federal government didn't allow it for prenatal care because any child born in the U.S. is a citizen.

Todd said that means the immigrants can "go out there like rats and multiply."

When contacted by The Associated Press, Todd said he was wrong to use that choice of words.

Based on reporting by The Associated Press.

Congressman Under Fire After Saying Immigrants Multiply "Like Rats" - Fox News Latino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,389,058 times
I agree. He was wrong saying that illegals multiply like "rats".

They're more like "Cockroaches"!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Ok, he didn't use any PC language but the fact is in theory that is what is happening.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,298,020 times
I was just about to post this. The way I found out about it is because I subscribe to La Raza's email newsletter just to keep an eye on what lies they are spreading, the tactics they are using to keep illegal immigrants here and also to keep a collection of the racism they show behind the scenes. It's been very interestingto read their emails.

With that said ... it wasn't "cool" for him to say that. You all know that I am greatly against illegal immigration, but I keep my humanity about me when discussing it and I think in that situation I could've come up with something else to describe the way illegal immigrants come here and have tons of children. I wouldn't call them rats and I think that incidents like this are hurting the cause of trying to reduce illegal immigration.

As for the so-called federal law of not asking a pregnant woman about her immigration status on the basis that her UNBORN child is a US Citizen is BULL. Who is to say that that unborn child will be BORN, brought to life, in the United States to indeed BECOME a US Citizen? If deportation happened, that child would NOT be born here and be granted US citizenship. So, I think it is very illegal and strange that there is this idea that because a woman is pregnant while in the USA that that unborn baby should be treated as a US Citizen.

Something about those women's explanations as to why they don't ask for the mother's immigration status makes no sense to me and should be cleared up and looked into.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM

Here is the video of the House meeting in which the Tennessee Representative said what he said. I also think it is important to remind everyone and clear some things up that he is NOT a US Representative in the US Congress, but is a Tennessee STATE Representative in a meeting in Tennessee. So, this didn't happen in Washington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE237g7KI8Y

Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Here is what La Raza had to say about it:

Quote:
Just when you thought extremist rhetoric couldn’t get worse, it did. Late last week, a Tennessee state representative named Curry Todd compared immigrants to rats. That’s right—I couldn’t believe it either. On November 9, during testimony from Finance and Administration officials at a meeting of the Fiscal Review Committee, Todd asserted that giving U.S. citizen children of immigrants health coverage was a license for immigrants to “go out there like rats and multiply.”

Comparing human beings to vermin? Seriously? Regardless of how someone feels about the immigration issue, this kind of dehumanizing language is out of line.

Not only is Representative Todd’s statement extremely offensive to the parents and children of Tennessee—and throughout the country—it has no place in the public discourse. The demonization of immigrants is unacceptable, and as a community, we must respond.

Hold Representative Todd accountable for his derogatory statement toward immigrants and tell his party leadership that America does not stand for hateful rhetoric.

Representative Todd has not apologized, only saying that he should have used a more “palatable” term like “anchor babies.” This reprehensible phrase for United States citizens is equally offensive and unacceptable. Not one of Todd’s colleagues confronted or challenged him on this odious display of bigotry. So we are asking Todd’s party leadership to show us where they stand on his remarks.

Tell Tennessee party leaders that extremist language that dehumanizes and scapegoats immigrants is not acceptable and ask them for a public apology

Thank you for joining us in standing up against intolerance and bigotry. Sincerely,

A. Elena Lacayo
Immigration Field Coordinator

Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,822,640 times
Maybe he should have said "like rabbits" - I mean there's nothing derogatory about fluffy bunnies is there?

I guess the truth hurts no matter what term is used.

As an Aussie ex-pat, I can tell you all about how bunnies can become a plague.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM

They live like rats sometimes, that I WILL say. It's just the truth.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Notice how La Raza calls them "immigrants"? I find that offensive, La Raza! Pot, kettle, black.

Saying that a group mulitiplies like rats is not calling them rats. It is only a comparison to their breeding habits. Of course the ethnocentrics twist it to mean they are being called vermin.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,625,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Notice how La Raza calls them "immigrants"? I find that offensive, La Raza! Pot, kettle, black.

Saying that a group mulitiplies like rats is not calling them rats. It is only a comparison to their breeding habits. Of course the ethnocentrics twist it to mean they are being called vermin.
And why is LaRaza jumping in so quickly? Aren't there illegals from countries OTHER than hispanic countries?

Again, they are singling THEMSELVES out, but cry 'racism' when people equate illegal aliens with hispanics..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration