U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,588,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It was totally disgusting. Although I needed a barf bag, I watched the entire program because I wanted to see just how low they would stoop. The few anti-illegals present were interrupted each time they attempted to speak, and it was nothing but a huge load of propaganda crapola.

Of course they featured DREAMie sob stories, complete with crocodile tears. One of the arrogant DREAMies appeared onstage with the panel, proudly proclaiming his illegal status. True to form, he even wore a pin which read, “No Papers.” When asked if he would return to Mexico if the DREAM Act and CIR fail, he stated, “I’m not going anywhere!” If they think their little charade will garner support, they are sadly mistaken. In my opinion, this in-your-face defiance will backfire like the massive marches.

The illegal-fest can be viewed at the following link. I recommend watching it on an empty stomach.

msnbc.com Video Player

A DREAMie comment. . .

Town Hall Event: Immigration - DREAM Act Portal Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,830,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If there was any justice or semblance of law in this country, they would have handcuffed that little smartass and shipped him and his family back to mexico. The illegals know that the INS is wimpy and won't do a thing to harm them.
I wanted to jump through the TV and slap that smirk off his face. I’m sick of illegals flaunting their status, and daring our government to enforce our laws. He is the embodiment of arrogance and entitlement. Since he considers himself such an asset, he should return to Mexico and help his own damn country.

Mark my words, if they pass the DREAM Act, it will prove even more disastrous than the ’86 mass amnesty. There will be no enforcement or oversight, and even those who crossed the border last week will manage to obtain “documents” to prove their eligibility. Furthermore, who will verify their info, or monitor the program to ensure compliance? If we can’t even keep track of tourist visas, why would anyone believe this would be different? It will simply be another free-for-all, with the taxpayers left holding the bag. It MUST be stopped.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,163,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
NO, they're not immigrants, they are UNDOCUMENTED immigrants.
No, they are illegal aliens.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,972,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, they are illegal aliens.
I was only joking.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,924 times
I am one of those "DREAMies" as you arrogantly call it. I was brought to this country when I was only 11 years old and ever since I've been here I've worked, my mom has worked, and my father has worked. Long hours, hard labor, low pay, and even sometimes no pay. You can not imagine the struggles we faced, and you can not judge people without putting yourselves in their shoes and experience life as we live it, but that's another story and off topic. I've worked my butt off to pay for my studies, and yes high school was free and I'm very thankful to this country for its wonderful educational system, but being a college student I can say that I've paid for everything without receiving any money from the government, or your taxpayer money. I've worked in restaurants, construction sites, liquor stores, flower shops, car washes, and yes, like millions of undocumented immigrants I used a fake SSN, so some of you might have received some of that money which I can't and would never claim even if I was given the chance. I've paid my way through school with sacrifice and a lot of sweat from all those jobs. I graduated from a Community College with 3 Associate's Degrees and transferred to a State University. I'm currently working on my Bachelor's and expect to graduate next semester.
I consider myself and American because this is the land that saw me grew up, that gave me shelter and gave me the opportunity, even if I had to fight hard to get that opportunity.
From eating fast food and apple pies, to going to the ball park and sing "take me out to the ball park" during the 7th inning stretch. My eyes become watery and my heart sings "The Star Spangled Banner" as the Football stadium awaits Kick-Off. I consider myself an American because that's what I've embraced since childhood and that's the life I've had growing up. I've fought hard to be where I am, I've made a ton of sacrifices to stay in school and stay out of trouble. We must work hard together to improve ourselves and have a better opportunity. That's the true nature of being an American, to better yourself while working with others in order to help each other out.
I understand some people may be upset because an illegal immigrant may have a higher education than them, or their son, their daughter, their nephew etc. But we make choices in life, and those choices lead us in our path. Those "DREAMies" have a story similar or even worst than mine, but they're still pursuing their dreams, some in school, and some hoping to serve our country in the Armed Forces. All they're asking for is an opportunity to show this country their appreciation, repay in some way for the opportunities that this great land offers to immigrants, whether they're Asian, African, European or wherever they come from. We just want to continue our lives without that "fear", without that "obstacle" of not knowing if we'll be able to finishing our goals, without being "discriminated" against for not being "American enough", for being "Illegals" or having brown skin. We know we can contribute to the well being of society, these students are prepared and would like to contribute to the land that saw them grow up. All we ask for is a chance.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 PM

3,790 posts, read 4,520,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1984 View Post
I used a fake SSN, so some of you might have received some of that money which I can't and would never claim even if I was given the chance.
Fine example you've set

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 AM

1,011 posts, read 847,298 times
sd, fine on you for bettering yourself, but that's neither here nor there - you almost make it sound like you did something heroic. Good for you and your parents who obviously raised you well. But there is still this thing called law...

This country is what it is due to it being country of laws. Otherwise, it will quickly become corrupt, unmanageable, and a place full of violence and abject poverty.

In fact, by obtaining a fake SSN not only you committed a crime, may have contributed to a legal citizen's misery if your (mis)deeds reflect on his/her record, but you also directly contributed to the US becoming more corrupt in the long run. Isn't it disrespectful to the country you profess to embrace? Jumping the border (not in your case, but common for others clamoring for the DreamAct) as one pleases is another violation of the US laws. And that is disrespectful to the country.

I know folks with PHDs, special talents, etc... who've also cleaned toilets, worked in restaurants, etc.. and that have done everything you've done and more, BUT had enough respect for this country's laws to follow the rules, got their own legal SSNs (AND IF THEY WERE REFUSED SAY ASYLEM, voluntarily went back home) Isn't it unfair to them if you get a break for just doing what any normal human being should be doing? (i.e. learning, working, not participating in crime)

Another problem is that when does the US say "ok, this is it. This is the last amnesty"? We've already had a few, and every time it heralded an even greater unlawful crossings of people that probably knew that the US politicians never actually meant what they said. There are legal ways to cross the US border from every country. There are legal ways to obtain visa, apply for green card, citizenship.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 AM

1,011 posts, read 847,298 times
Oh, yes, and as for the MSNBC 'panel', it would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic. They basically had a room full of "latinos" all agreeing with each other in vague, nebulous terms "we must fix our immigration laws (i.e. allow unrestricted immigration from spanish speaking countries south of the border), they are all humans looking for work, the US must send money to south america to build infrastracture (? how did that get in there)". Not a single concrete way of dealing with illegal immigration - just platitudes vaguely hinting at 100% amnesty and basically unrestricted illegal immigration until "the US fixes South America's economies like it did Germany and Japan" (that of course would mean we'd have to annex it first)

Well, except for that one out-of-place looking former INS officer that actually asked meaningful and practical questions and dealt with facts only he could know.

Not much of a debate - more of a circus, and a community meeing. I always thought la Raza meetings would go like this. What I don't understand why a lot hispanic US citizens seem to have this tribal mentality trying to protect 'their people's' honor and the 'right' to violate US border, people who should be as foreign to them as to the rest of the US citizens.

Last edited by wellyouknow; 11-18-2010 at 01:06 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,314,532 times
MSNBC and crapola, go together like Fake Illegal Tears and a Controlled Media, putting on the glitz. MSNBC GAG me over and over again, sickening is not the word, i have another.

When is the lovely media going to stop portraying the sob stories, i could give a rat's a-- about their stories, look what part of illegal do these idiots not understand. This Country is going more towards the rights and privlages of illegals rather then their own Citizens who were born here, that is sickening.

Can we send a message all of us who feel this way to MSNBC and let our voices be heard, and Rachael gag me over and over again, i could barf on her.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,163,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1984 View Post
I am one of those "DREAMies" as you arrogantly call it. I was brought to this country when I was only 11 years old and ever since I've been here I've worked, my mom has worked, and my father has worked. Long hours, hard labor, low pay, and even sometimes no pay. You can not imagine the struggles we faced, and you can not judge people without putting yourselves in their shoes and experience life as we live it, but that's another story and off topic. I've worked my butt off to pay for my studies, and yes high school was free and I'm very thankful to this country for its wonderful educational system, but being a college student I can say that I've paid for everything without receiving any money from the government, or your taxpayer money. I've worked in restaurants, construction sites, liquor stores, flower shops, car washes, and yes, like millions of undocumented immigrants I used a fake SSN, so some of you might have received some of that money which I can't and would never claim even if I was given the chance. I've paid my way through school with sacrifice and a lot of sweat from all those jobs. I graduated from a Community College with 3 Associate's Degrees and transferred to a State University. I'm currently working on my Bachelor's and expect to graduate next semester.
I consider myself and American because this is the land that saw me grew up, that gave me shelter and gave me the opportunity, even if I had to fight hard to get that opportunity.
From eating fast food and apple pies, to going to the ball park and sing "take me out to the ball park" during the 7th inning stretch. My eyes become watery and my heart sings "The Star Spangled Banner" as the Football stadium awaits Kick-Off. I consider myself an American because that's what I've embraced since childhood and that's the life I've had growing up. I've fought hard to be where I am, I've made a ton of sacrifices to stay in school and stay out of trouble. We must work hard together to improve ourselves and have a better opportunity. That's the true nature of being an American, to better yourself while working with others in order to help each other out.
I understand some people may be upset because an illegal immigrant may have a higher education than them, or their son, their daughter, their nephew etc. But we make choices in life, and those choices lead us in our path. Those "DREAMies" have a story similar or even worst than mine, but they're still pursuing their dreams, some in school, and some hoping to serve our country in the Armed Forces. All they're asking for is an opportunity to show this country their appreciation, repay in some way for the opportunities that this great land offers to immigrants, whether they're Asian, African, European or wherever they come from. We just want to continue our lives without that "fear", without that "obstacle" of not knowing if we'll be able to finishing our goals, without being "discriminated" against for not being "American enough", for being "Illegals" or having brown skin. We know we can contribute to the well being of society, these students are prepared and would like to contribute to the land that saw them grow up. All we ask for is a chance.
I am having doubts about your education level since you don't seem to know how to make paragraphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or