U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:18 AM

918 posts, read 743,164 times

Advertisements

For everyone who says "those poor illegal aliens need our help." I recommend you watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Yac

5,884 posts, read 6,323,455 times
Calm down everybody and get back on topic. Which btw is MSNBC's "Beyond Borders" special, in case you forgot.
Yac.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
We could go back and forth on this issue, there are always 2 sides to every subject, those who agree and those who are against it. I know that MSNBC program was very one sided and that's one of the things I did not like, they should have included more people who opposed it in order to actually hear both sides of the story. This forum is one sided too just like the program, so I tried to share my opinion, and I also read all the posts so that I could learn about people who oppose the DREAMact & they're issues.
@ Chicagonut: I know the paragraphs were short and to the point, I know they lacked a lot of things, I could have written a better structured post, I could have used the 3 appeals of rhetoric to make it stronger and more appealing to the audience, but I didn't want to write a lot, it was already long so I took a lot of ideas out and did not include all I wanted to express. In fact, I wrote that during my study break because that night I was studying for an International Business Finance exam (FIN329), you might know how tiring and exhausting studying for mid-terms can be during college, if you went to college of course, which I do not know, but you get the idea right? I'm not an English major, but I've taken enough English classes. Here's something about my education as of today 11/21/10 AA in Transfer Studies, AA in International Business, AA in French. Those 3 are from a Community College so I know it's not that great, as of last semester Spring 10, I completed my Minor in Italian (SDSU), and if everything goes according to plan, next semester Spring 11, I will finish my Bachelor's Degree in International Business with emphasis in North America and specialization in Marketing, also a Certificate in Translation & Interpretation English-Spanish, all from San Diego State University.

On a different note, many of the readers seem to be misinformed about the DREAMact, so just read a little bit and you'll see that is not for everyone, there are restrictions, certain criteria and requirements to be met before they qualify, I don't think all applicants would qualify if that legislation were to pass but judge for yourself. Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal | DREAM Act Portal

For the most part I like this bill, BUT there is one thing I do not like and if I could, I would change about the DREAMact. Many of the people supporting this bill ask for TOO MUCH, such is the case in this bill:
They want to include Financial Aid for those students. I think that is ridiculous, and in my opinion they should exclude that from the bill. I have many American friends who go to College and are working part time jobs while enrolled in school, and to me that would be unfair to them since some of them do not qualify and can not receive any financial aid. I think those students under the DREAMact should work hard to earn their money and don't expect to take more money from the government, they're already asking for a path to citizenship and asking for more things is just an insult. Let them work, pay taxes, so they can help the US economy, but do not give more aid.

If there are any DREAMers out there, please make yourself heard and raise your voice. If there are any people who support this bill I thank you kindly and ask you to support the DREAM Act, and if there are any people who oppose it, I thank you as well for taking your time to read all these posts and commenting even if it's against the DREAM Act, we all have a different opinion and that's what makes us unique, let's hear both sides of the story, and don't forget to be polite and respectful to others.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:13 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,875,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1984 View Post
We could go back and forth on this issue, there are always 2 sides to every subject, those who agree and those who are against it. I know that MSNBC program was very one sided and that's one of the things I did not like, they should have included more people who opposed it in order to actually hear both sides of the story. This forum is one sided too just like the program, so I tried to share my opinion, and I also read all the posts so that I could learn about people who oppose the DREAMact & they're issues.
@ Chicagonut: I know the paragraphs were short and to the point, I know they lacked a lot of things, I could have written a better structured post, I could have used the 3 appeals of rhetoric to make it stronger and more appealing to the audience, but I didn't want to write a lot, it was already long so I took a lot of ideas out and did not include all I wanted to express. In fact, I wrote that during my study break because that night I was studying for an International Business Finance exam (FIN329), you might know how tiring and exhausting studying for mid-terms can be during college, if you went to college of course, which I do not know, but you get the idea right? I'm not an English major, but I've taken enough English classes. Here's something about my education as of today 11/21/10 AA in Transfer Studies, AA in International Business, AA in French. Those 3 are from a Community College so I know it's not that great, as of last semester Spring 10, I completed my Minor in Italian (SDSU), and if everything goes according to plan, next semester Spring 11, I will finish my Bachelor's Degree in International Business with emphasis in North America and specialization in Marketing, also a Certificate in Translation & Interpretation English-Spanish, all from San Diego State University.

On a different note, many of the readers seem to be misinformed about the DREAMact, so just read a little bit and you'll see that is not for everyone, there are restrictions, certain criteria and requirements to be met before they qualify, I don't think all applicants would qualify if that legislation were to pass but judge for yourself. Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal | DREAM Act Portal

For the most part I like this bill, BUT there is one thing I do not like and if I could, I would change about the DREAMact. Many of the people supporting this bill ask for TOO MUCH, such is the case in this bill:
They want to include Financial Aid for those students. I think that is ridiculous, and in my opinion they should exclude that from the bill. I have many American friends who go to College and are working part time jobs while enrolled in school, and to me that would be unfair to them since some of them do not qualify and can not receive any financial aid. I think those students under the DREAMact should work hard to earn their money and don't expect to take more money from the government, they're already asking for a path to citizenship and asking for more things is just an insult. Let them work, pay taxes, so they can help the US economy, but do not give more aid.

If there are any DREAMers out there, please make yourself heard and raise your voice. If there are any people who support this bill I thank you kindly and ask you to support the DREAM Act, and if there are any people who oppose it, I thank you as well for taking your time to read all these posts and commenting even if it's against the DREAM Act, we all have a different opinion and that's what makes us unique, let's hear both sides of the story, and don't forget to be polite and respectful to others.
Do you realize the DREAM Act will also legalize children in the 12-17 age groups who are enrolled in our primary and secondary schools? Tell me, how will they be legalized without also legalizing their parents, and thus rewarding them for violating our laws? In addition, their accelerated path to citizenship will enable them to sponsor relatives within the next several years. Not to mention, the “humanitarian” clause would permit their family to remain here from day one. The bill is a farce, period.

If you are trying to garner support, I don’t think you want people to visit the DREAM Act Portal Forum. While they have improved from the past by prohibiting blatant discussions on their criminal behavior, you will still see far too many posts containing profane and vulgar language, which they do not filter, and they are extremely entitlement-minded. The names they call “their” representatives in Congress is mind-boggling, given the fact that they are the same people they expect to vote in favor of the bill. I was somewhat sympathetic to their cause prior to visiting their forum. Their arrogance and lack of appreciation quickly changed my mind.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,901,359 times
Since I have been the recipient (?) of flames and also because I just don't like taking swipes at people, anyway, about grammer, punctuation, etc,etc, (how is that for a convoluted sentence) I think we should leave out the comments about such. It is the message that is important, don't you think ?

Having said that, I did stop reading eg1350's post about midway through but only because I guess I am a simple soul....the bottom line is the laws were broken and how can we teach our children and grandchildren that the laws of this country are sacred if we condone the wholesale breaking of them ? I understand compassion and all of that but, it we don't enforce the laws, choas will ensue....right ?

I agree that there is prejudice in all societies and nations, who can deny that. Why does America have to take all in and provide for them and deny their own citizens the opportunities and resources that we allocate to someone that has broken our laws ?

America has become so politically correct and afraid of appearing prejudiced that between that and the greed for low wage manpower and whatever else corporate America is cooking up, it is wrecking this country....and will wreck it soon. We have almost become a third country. We cannot continue to police, provide for and subsidize most of the countries in the world....the backs of the American people still working cannot bear it much longer...

The line needs to be drawn in the sand that Americans have had enough. We need to retreat and work on making our country great again before we take in every poor person south of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or