U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,337,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
paying their fair share of tax money back to the documented taxpayers for all those years they provided the larger bulk of funding for the illegal's education.
Can some of you get it through your prejudices, illegal immigrants pay the same taxes everyone else does. Now you could quibble about federal taxes, but federal money does not support schools.

Now if you can tell me how illegals avoid paying the same state taxes as you, and thus supporting schools, like you, please tell me how that happens.

You know, being prejudiced is one thing, but allowing prejudice to destroy logic is quite another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 760,635 times
Ah these kinds of threads are entertaining and yet subtly funny to me. I am the son of an illegal immigrant who has been here since the age of 14. He is a punctual taxpayer a business owner whos employees mostly white and who's ancestors probably had a much easier time becoming citizens 100 years ago. After all of his successes no criminal record and the amount of time he has been here he is still not an American citizen. Most illegals are hard working individuals who by the way don't live off of pixie dust and free government water they consume, buy groceries, love American cars, etc etc. I you really want to be in a recession possibly a depression kick out all of the illegals removing 12 million consumers and tax payers (yes they pay taxes yet receive less in benefits) from our economy. If you want to pay $10 for a head of lettuce go right ahead. Yay. I love how most right wingers seem to lack hard facts and the ability to back up their slander with hard evidence. Do some research, don't just listen to what bob the tea party fox news correspondent has to say

Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,547 posts, read 14,044,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Do you people in CA understand how to budget, or spend their money wisely? Your legislature is like a bunch of drunk sailors.
It's the voters who are drunk sailors. They're the ones who voted the legislative drunk sailors into office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
It seems that a good many of our immigrants start their own companies rather than trying to find jobs.
My gardener (who often brings his wife to help him, and brings the kids when school is out) is probably more typical of the "industry" that immigrants start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Now if you can tell me how illegals avoid paying the same state taxes as you, and thus supporting schools, like you, please tell me how that happens.
You have heard of getting paid under the table. If the illegals all paid their fair share of income taxes it would be a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
If you want to pay $10 for a head of lettuce go right ahead.
That's exactly what I want! I'm not kidding either. Once we had real prices that didn't rely on cheating and lying and taking advantage of taxpayers and the workers themselves we would see the real prices of our produce and other illegal immigrant labor products, and the country would instate a reasonable guest worker program.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Ah these kinds of threads are entertaining and yet subtly funny to me. I am the son of an illegal immigrant who has been here since the age of 14. He is a punctual taxpayer a business owner whos employees mostly white and who's ancestors probably had a much easier time becoming citizens 100 years ago. After all of his successes no criminal record and the amount of time he has been here he is still not an American citizen. Most illegals are hard working individuals who by the way don't live off of pixie dust and free government water they consume, buy groceries, love American cars, etc etc. I you really want to be in a recession possibly a depression kick out all of the illegals removing 12 million consumers and tax payers (yes they pay taxes yet receive less in benefits) from our economy. If you want to pay $10 for a head of lettuce go right ahead. Yay. I love how most right wingers seem to lack hard facts and the ability to back up their slander with hard evidence. Do some research, don't just listen to what bob the tea party fox news correspondent has to say
My mother was once illegal as well, she definitely paid taxes into the system and will never see the benefits from those first 16 years in the states.

The argument you will receive is that the illegals of today are not the same as the illegals of yesterday.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's the voters who are drunk sailors. They're the ones who voted the legislative drunk sailors into office.

My gardener (who often brings his wife to help him, and brings the kids when school is out) is probably more typical of the "industry" that immigrants start.

You have heard of getting paid under the table. If the illegals all paid their fair share of income taxes it would be a good start.

That's exactly what I want! I'm not kidding either. Once we had real prices that didn't rely on cheating and lying and taking advantage of taxpayers and the workers themselves we would see the real prices of our produce and other illegal immigrant labor products, and the country would instate a reasonable guest worker program.
Very narrow point of view. A guest worker program is a solution...immigration reform allowing people who want to both work and be good tax paying American citizens is even better. I think many illegals who come here have no desire to move back to Mexico. Well, my dad wants to buy a bunch of land in the yucatan to grow old on, but thats different. How many tens of millions of Irish German and Italian people came here again and are now citizens? Hmmmm...

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Very narrow point of view. A guest worker program is a solution...immigration reform allowing people who want to both work and be good tax paying American citizens is even better. I think many illegals who come here have no desire to move back to Mexico. Well, my dad wants to buy a bunch of land in the yucatan to grow old on, but thats different. How many tens of millions of Irish German and Italian people came here again and are now citizens? Hmmmm...
Tons, and the vast predominance of them came through Ellis Island and did so legally. They didn't hire crooks to spirit them across an international border like the sneak-thieves they are.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Tons, and the vast predominance of them came through Ellis Island and did so legally. They didn't hire crooks to spirit them across an international border like the sneak-thieves they are.
This is beginning a digression away from the subject.

The European immigration was also before many of these immigration laws were in effect. All they had to do was show up.

The New Colossus on the Status of Liberty appears to have only applied to Europe.

(read the fine print at the bottom)
"Sorry we meant Europe only!"

Last edited by Mach50; 11-18-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM

And why do they have the need to do so? If they had the opportunity to become citizens as easily as those at the turn of the 20th century then they wouldn't risk their lives to cross the damn desert. Think to yourself hey why are they still illegal hey why are hard working people with no criminal history still denied citizenship. Hey why does it take over 10 years these days to even have the possibility of becoming citizens. These people don't had the luxury of 5 year plans in Mexico. They either come and live a happy life and have food to eat or stay and suffer. If there was an Ellis island of our southern border I'm quite sure it would be utilized heavily

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Your dad has lived in this country illegally since the age of 14, but did not take advantage of the 1986 amnesty which would have legalized his status. Why? He has no criminal record, yet has obviously used a fake or stolen SSN to gain employment. The fact that he has not YET been caught does not negate his lawlessness. Ordinarily, I don’t discuss a person’s parent, but your post made him fair game.

Your claim that we would pay $10 per head of lettuce is complete and utter nonsense. The unscrupulous employers of illegals certainly aren’t generous enough to share their ill-gotten profits with consumers. Our grocery costs continue to skyrocket, notwithstanding a glut of illegal farm workers. Contrary to popular belief, a whopping 76% of agriculture workers are citizens or legal residents. Hence, we will certainly not starve or enter a deep depression if illegals return home. I suppose we weren’t eating prior to the arrival of cheap, illegal labor.

Illegal aliens do in fact rely on tax-funded benefits. If not for their U.S.-born children, most would be unable to survive in this country on their meager wages. In fact, the entire family benefits from these “citizen” children. In addition, many give birth expressly for the government handouts -- WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, Medicaid, etc. Most parents support their children. Sadly, the opposite is true for many illegals.

Illegal aliens are not all hardworking pillars of society. Do a quick Google search on the victims of illegal aliens, as well as their astronomical burden on the taxpayers of this country. Illegal immigration only benefits the peddlers and profiteers, and it is bankrupting this country. You may consider this entertaining and amusing, but I most assuredly do not.

Quote:
And why do they have the need to do so? If they had the opportunity to become citizens as easily as those at the turn of the 20th century then they wouldn't risk their lives to cross the damn desert. Think to yourself hey why are they still illegal hey why are hard working people with no criminal history still denied citizenship. Hey why does it take over 10 years these days to even have the possibility of becoming citizens. These people don't had the luxury of 5 year plans in Mexico. They either come and live a happy life and have food to eat or stay and suffer. If there was an Ellis island of our southern border I'm quite sure it would be utilized heavily
Our country and our needs have drastically changed since the days of Ellis Island. Furthermore, immigration should benefit the host country, not simply provide a better life for the immigrant. We have no legal or moral obligation to lower our standards to accommodate every impoverished citizen of the world. If foreigners are unable to become legal immigrants, clearly, they do not meet our needs.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:16 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,486,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Can some of you get it through your prejudices, illegal immigrants pay the same taxes everyone else does. Now you could quibble about federal taxes, but federal money does not support schools.

You know, being prejudiced is one thing, but allowing prejudice to destroy logic is quite another.
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Illegals are in the vast majority of cases earning money "under the table".

They pay nothing, we pay for everything.

End result is CA bankruptcy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration