Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times

Advertisements

You guys are in massive debt. They just INCREASED tuition 8% for students?

Why ON EARTH are you paying for illegals to go to school?

Can I get a democrats perspective on why this is a good idea, I already understand the Republican minority perspective.

IMO it makes no sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
MOD CUT
It's simple: the more educated our populace is, the better off we are as a state and as an economy. If we don't support community colleges and give poor first- or second-generation immigrants a chance to become good, contributing members of society, then they simply won't. They will resort to crime and then we will pay even more to deport them or keep them in prison.

But, MOD CUT will say, if we give them the carrot of opportunity, then they will come in greater numbers. Well, I say to you, welcome to America. That's exactly why your ancestors came here in the first place. And by saying "I can have opportunities, but they can't," you are, in fact, being anti-American and seeking to strip this great country of the finest quality it has.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-17-2010 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
MOD CUT

It's simple: the more educated our populace is, the better off we are as a state and as an economy. If we don't support community colleges and give poor first- or second-generation immigrants a chance to become good, contributing members of society, then they simply won't. They will resort to crime and then we will pay even more to deport them or keep them in prison.

But, MOD CUT will say, if we give them the carrot of opportunity, then they will come in greater numbers. Well, I say to you, welcome to America. That's exactly why your ancestors came here in the first place. And by saying "I can have opportunities, but they can't," you are, in fact, being anti-American and seeking to strip this great country of the finest quality it has.
That's great in theory, but the state is suffering from school overcrowding. Your post does not address the massive costs associated with your generous offer.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-17-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Why are you Paying for Illegals College?
Because college graduates will pay more taxes and contribute more to society than prison inmates, seems fairly simple.

Quote:
That's great in theory, but the state is suffering from school overcrowding. Your post does not address the massive costs associated with your generous offer
We are talking about college, California colleges are not suffering from school overcrowding, there is no generous offer, the children who qualify for college will pay the same as any other resident.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Hartford_Renter,
You guys always complain about this but NEVER offer up a solution about what to do with the illegal aliens who are here.

Just say it. You want us to deport all 12 Million of them right away.

First of all, this is a Federal Problem, if you want to point a finger, do it at DC because states(like CA and AZ and TX etc) are coping with the INABILITY of the Fed to do its damn job in the first place which is to secure our borders. That's number 1.

If anything we shouldnt be deporting them back to Mexico or China or wherever, but what we should be doing is putting them on charter buses and sending them to Washington DC and then charging the fed for the cost to transport them.

This is the ultimate in the federal government dragging its feet and then demanding the states deal with a problem created by DC.

But since they are here many for nearly a generation, we are not going to tear families apart, we are not going to change the US Constitution so that being born here does NOT automatically make a baby a citizen-that's ludicrous.

No, I believe that where we can create productive residents, we should take that opportunity. As with any other group, if we don't help them to assimilate into our society through education(which I firmly believe is the great equalizer of all peoples), then there are forces in the community that will lead them into crime, drugs, gangs and so on.

If there are illegals who are felons or have committed serious crimes, they must GO. No argument there.

But with respect to educating children(be they illegal or legal), I look at it this way, either we pay to school them now or we pay to jail them later.

I prefer the former.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
MOD CUT

Right, I agree with that in theory. Educating illegals is, in ISOLATION a positive.

Except by spending on illegals, you HURT the regular CA citizen, who doesn't get FREE TUITION.

That's why it doesn't make sense

Think about it

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-17-2010 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 06:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Except by spending on illegals, you HURT the regular CA citizen, who doesn't get FREE TUITION.
Go read the newspaper, see if you can figure out the difference between instate tuition and free tuition.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
This seems hauntingly similar to a topic on the same subject that already got closed by the moderators because it became a discussion about illegal aliens.

Illegal alien CA residents aren't getting free tuition. They're simply getting the same rate that other California residents get, the "in-state" rate.

No free tuition deals here.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hartford_Renter,
You guys always complain about this but NEVER offer up a solution about what to do with the illegal aliens who are here.

Just say it. You want us to deport all 12 Million of them right away.

First of all, this is a Federal Problem, if you want to point a finger, do it at DC because states(like CA and AZ and TX etc) are coping with the INABILITY of the Fed to do its damn job in the first place which is to secure our borders. That's number 1.

If anything we shouldnt be deporting them back to Mexico or China or wherever, but what we should be doing is putting them on charter buses and sending them to Washington DC and then charging the fed for the cost to transport them.

This is the ultimate in the federal government dragging its feet and then demanding the states deal with a problem created by DC.

But since they are here many for nearly a generation, we are not going to tear families apart, we are not going to change the US Constitution so that being born here does NOT automatically make a baby a citizen-that's ludicrous.

No, I believe that where we can create productive residents, we should take that opportunity. As with any other group, if we don't help them to assimilate into our society through education(which I firmly believe is the great equalizer of all peoples), then there are forces in the community that will lead them into crime, drugs, gangs and so on.

If there are illegals who are felons or have committed serious crimes, they must GO. No argument there.

But with respect to educating children(be they illegal or legal), I look at it this way, either we pay to school them now or we pay to jail them later.

I prefer the former.
1. I want to spend the tax dollars as efficiently as possible. Don't really care if there are illegals here unless these people are costing us money. Don't dislike illegals or want to deport all of them.

2. I think you make a good argument, about paying for school or jail but if you are hurting the citizen, because if you think about it if you pay for an illegal, you are rejecting one Californian. Does this make sense? It doesn't

3. You are RAISING the tuition on everyone else, by 8%. I mean I don't even live in your state, and when I heard this, I had to ask, WHAT ARE DEMOCRATS THINKING???

4. Also isn't your income tax like 10% you are almost BANKRUPT? Aren't you at all interested in making cuts any place??!! I honestly for THE LOVE OF GOD CANNOT UNDERSTAND???

BTW I mean In state tuition, not free tuition.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
1. I want to spend the tax dollars as efficiently as possible. Don't really care if there are illegals here unless these people are costing us money. Don't dislike illegals or want to deport all of them.

2. I think you make a good argument, about paying for school or jail but if you are hurting the citizen, because if you think about it if you pay for an illegal, you are rejecting one Californian. Does this make sense? It doesn't

3. You are RAISING the tuition on everyone else, by 8%. I mean I don't even live in your state, and when I heard this, I had to ask, WHAT ARE DEMOCRATS THINKING???

4. Also isn't your income tax like 10% you are almost BANKRUPT? Aren't you at all interested in making cuts any place??!! I honestly for THE LOVE OF GOD CANNOT UNDERSTAND???

BTW I mean In state tuition, not free tuition.
Valid arguments, but the root of this problem is 3,000 miles away from California. And we should be reimbursed by the fed for every penny we spend on them.

In the meantime, the state is making due with the situation we have in front of us.

Furthermore, I don't know of any Californians that can't afford college being turned away in favor of an Illegal. All you have to do is fill out a FAFSA online or turn it in at the Financial Aid office.

As far as In-state tuition, the Illegal alien must prove that he/she attended at least 3 years of high school in California before they qualify for In-state tuition, so its not like some kid crossing the border yesterday is going to pay in-state tuition. That's not what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration