U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
1890: 402,000 immigrants processed at the barge office.
1892: Ellis Island has 450,000 immigrants pass through the first year.
1900: They were processing 5,000 immigrants per DAY!
1907: There were 11,747 immigrants in one day. 1,007,004 immigrants in ONE year!

(sounds like an invasion to me)

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Influenced by American welfare agencies that claimed to be overwhelmed by requests for aid from impoverished immigrants, the exclusion of those "liable to become a public charge" became a cornerstone of immigration policy as early as 1882. The Alien Contract Labor Law of 1885 also excluded all immigrants who took a job in exchange for passage. These laws presented the immigrant with a delicate task of convincing the legal inspectors that they were strong, intelligent and resourceful enough to find work easily, without admitting that a relative had a job waiting for them.

Why did the Dillingham Commission point to 1880 as the beginning of a great wave of southeastern European immigration?
The 1880s was a time of high unemployment, growing labor unrest, political corruption, and urban decay. These problems would likely have taken hold even without immigrants from southeastern Europe. Many Americans, however, were eager to blame immigrants from southeastern Europe as the culprits behind the new problems.

In 1917 anti-immigration forces succeeded in pressuring the government to impose a literacy test as a further means of restricting immigration. The law required all immigrants sixteen years or older to read a forty-word passage in their native language. Most immgrants had to read biblical translations. Working from 9 am to 7 pm, seven days a week, each inspector questioned 400-500 immigrants a day. Those who failed to prove they were "clearly and beyond a doubt entitled to land" were detained for a hearing before the Board of Special Inquiry. As immigrants had no legal right to enter the U.S., there could be no lawyer present at this hearing, but friends and relatives could testify on the immigrant's behalf. The Board reviewed about 70,000 cases a year, admitting five out of every six detainees.
However, it was not until the twentieth century that the majority of immigrants were from southeastern Europe; until that time, more immigrants came from places like England, Ireland, and Scandinavia than from southeastern Europe.

[LEFT]ELLIS ISLAND[/LEFT]

The term "native," in this context, refers not to American Indians, but rather to Anglo-Americans who considered themselves "true Americans"[SIZE=2] even though their ancestors had been immigrated from Europe just a few generations before. [/SIZE]At first, many champions of American business, such as the editors of The Commercial and Financial Chronicle,[/SIZE] argued that immigration would provide a ready pool of unskilled workers to man the nation's factories and would help boost the American economy. Many businessmen, however, began to change their minds as strikes became more common and labor unions grew larger and more powerful. Increasingly, they and many other Americans blamed "radical" immigrants to for the nation's labor problems. The reaction to the Haymarket Square bombing in 1886 demonstrates this kind of thinking in action.

One leading proponent of eugenics theory was Dr. Charles Benedict Davenport. Davenport argued that weaknesses in society were due to the unnatural preservation, by the use of modern medicine, of the "feeble-minded" and "unfit." In his 1911 book, Heredity in Relation to Eugenics, written at a time when Italians, Poles, Greeks, Russians and Jews were the targets of anti-immigrant phobia, he held that "the population of the United States will, on account of the great influx of blood from South-eastern Europe, rapidly become darker in pigmentation, smaller in stature, more mercurial, more attached to music and art, [and] more given to crimes of larceny, kidnapping, assault, murder, rape and sex-immorality" and that "the ratio of insanity in the population will rapidly increase." Advocates of the new "science" of eugenics, however, called for more than simple immigration restriction. Scientists, politicians, and others relied upon the "evidence" of heredity to advocate such drastic measures as sterilization, controlled breeding, institutionalization, and even executions of the feeble. People often associate such measures with Nazi Germany and Hitler's methods of "racial purification." Yet, proponents of eugenics and "racial purity" also enjoyed a great deal of popular support in the United States during the late-nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

"This organization was founded in 1894 by a group of Boston lawyers, professors, and philanthropists who were alarmed by the large number of immigrants entering America each year. The league urged that immigrants be required to demonstrate literacy in some language. In theory a literacy test would not discriminate against the people of any particular race, creed, or color. But in reality it would keep out many of the "new" immigrants from southern and eastern Europe---whom league members considered inferior beings, likely to become criminals or public charges if admitted.
A literacy bill was passed by Congress in 1897, but President Grover Cleveland vetoed it. In 1917, however, as wartime hysteria fed American xenophobia, another literacy bill was signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson. After 1917, as key members lost interest or passed away, the Immigration Restriction League declined in influence."
(Source: The Reader's Companion to American History, edited by E. Foner and J. A. Garraty. Published in Boston by Houghton Mifflin. ©1991.) [/SIZE][/LEFT]

H102 Lecture 08: Foreign Immigrants in Industrial America (http://us.history.wisc.edu/hist102/lectures/lecture08.html - broken link)

You know, many of these immigrants cheated on those literacy tests, so that makes them illegal. Many of you are anchor babies!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarcasmn aside, it's amazing how stupid human beings are; they repeat the same, tired old fears. How utterly stupid of the anti-immigration crowd. That is the point of ALL of my posts on the anti-Mexican thread. "anti-Mexican" because that is honestly is what it is. Some people haven't even the intelligence to figure out they are repeating the very things that others did to their grandparents or g-grandparents.

An invasion is an univited intrusion. Immigration is not. When will you get your head out of the past? Things are different now in so many ways. Our laws are different today and our situtation today is different. Good Lord!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,705,775 times
You weren't invited by the owners. Now you're getting your come uppance.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
So now you admit your real agenda. Destroy the American people. Because something happened 400 years ago, you want to destroy the USA completely.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
And that folks - is the open borders proponents' real agenda.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
I didn't need to get invited. I was born here.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
There's one thing I left out,

Sending ARMED soildiers to guard the the Border is what indicates a declaration of invasion.

That explains why they were sent down there UNARMED.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 11-21-2010 at 09:54 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,496,089 times
Harry Reid, who will continue his reign as Senate Majority leader thanks to the labor unions he serves, has already told them that he will try to ram through an amnesty bill for illegal aliens, and the highly controversial “card check” legislation to make it easier for unions to force workers to join them.

Our hard work and dedication to America paid off big time on Election Day but the fight is just beginning. We have a President of the United States who openly referred to us as his enemies during the recent campaign just because we oppose his policies. He also said we needed to be punished for this transgression. That really sums up what we are facing.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:

You know, many of these immigrants cheated on those literacy tests, so that makes them illegal. Many of you are anchor babies!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarcasmn aside, it's amazing how stupid human beings are; they repeat the same, tired old fears. How utterly stupid of the anti-immigration crowd. That is the point of ALL of my posts on the anti-Mexican thread. "anti-Mexican" because that is honestly is what it is. Some people haven't even the intelligence to figure out they are repeating the very things that others did to their grandparents or g-grandparents.
My great grandparents and grandparents came here LEGALLY. My grandparents came here with skills. My great grandparents came here determined to learn English. My grandparents came here delighted at the opportunity and pleased at America.

My grandparents were patriots. They did NOT march in the streets to denounce this country. They did not DEMAND welfare benefits. They did not screech anti-Semitism at everyone nor did they DEMAND Yiddish speaking teachers and Yiddish interpreters at public expense.

If they could not survive here they left and went back home.

In the 1920's Americans slammed the door shut. No more immigrants. My great grandparents had relatives at the time who wanted to flee real oppression. Not I want material goods and money from the American taxpayers so I can have six children by the time I'm 22 but ovens and men determined to murder them and their small children just because of their religion.

My great grandparents did NOT demand that Americans take in my relatives. My grand parents did NOT smuggle in my relatives in violation of American immigration laws. My grandparents did NOT whine that Americans did not accept every single poverty stricken refugee in the middle of a recession. My grandparents were grateful that they lived in a country that stood up against Hitler and tried to stop the slaughter.

I am sick and tired of hearing the notion that because a lot of people want to come here from Mexico who do not in fact have any skills we need or any intention of learning English are somehow ENTITLED to come here. Worse entitled to do so in violation of our migration laws or in front of other more qualified potential Americans. Even worse ENTITLED to do so at public expense just because they can't get all the stuff they want in their home countries.

I am personally profoundly offended that anyone would dare compare my patriotic, hard working, English speaking, skilled, tax paying relatives with people who want to come here solely so they can collect American social services.

I am no one's anchor baby. I am a tax paying, hard working, English speaking native. Most of all I fail to understand why I should welcome anyone to my country who isn't merely because some people can't tell the difference between 1910 and 2010.

Quote:
Oh yes I was. So were my relatives. The United States has legally allowed millions and millions of people from Mexico to become Americans. The United States has been incredibly generous to Mexicans despite the fact that many migrants are low skilled and do not speak English.

Americans do not owe a country with huge resources and 11 billionaires anything else. We've already been incredibly nice.

Mexicans have a country of their own. Let them stay there and fix it up instead of violating our laws and making demands of American taxpayers. Let them finally make demands of Carlos Slim instead of Joe Taxpayer.

Every single country INCLUDING Mexico has immigration laws. Explain to me why you think Americans shouldn't? Or why Mexicans should get special privileges denied to other would be migrants? Why on Earth should we welcome surly whiners who argue that we all suck?

If we're all the miserable racists you've alleged why don't you leave? Why would any Mexican want to come here in the first place?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Can immigration be confused with the word invasion?
And when does it become an invasion instead of immigration?
Some how I deleted my last post.......

The Military was retrieved from the border so quickly because, sending "armed" US Troops the guard the border by order of the US Federalgov, is what indicates an "invasion.
Declaring an invasion would not only (like a "police state) force all Federal Immigration Laws and Laws pertaining to the protection of the US Citizens to be strictly enforced, it would also label every person in the US illegaly as an "invader".no exceptions.
Also, declaring invasion on the fluxuation of illegals would prove that everything the president(s) and the feds have done and are doing for the invaders (illegals) and are not doing for the good of the US Citizens,would be in violation of the US Immigration Laws and The US Constitution. such as, Aiding and ebedding and Treason against the US Citizens.

If you wondered why the 1200 troops were sent to the border UNARMED,
now you know.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,496,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
My great grandparents and grandparents came here LEGALLY. My grandparents came here with skills. My great grandparents came here determined to learn English. My grandparents came here delighted at the opportunity and pleased at America.

My grandparents were patriots. They did NOT march in the streets to denounce this country. They did not DEMAND welfare benefits. They did not screech anti-Semitism at everyone nor did they DEMAND Yiddish speaking teachers and Yiddish interpreters at public expense.

If they could not survive here they left and went back home.

In the 1920's Americans slammed the door shut. No more immigrants. My great grandparents had relatives at the time who wanted to flee real oppression. Not I want material goods and money from the American taxpayers so I can have six children by the time I'm 22 but ovens and men determined to murder them and their small children just because of their religion.

My great grandparents did NOT demand that Americans take in my relatives. My grand parents did NOT smuggle in my relatives in violation of American immigration laws. My grandparents did NOT whine that Americans did not accept every single poverty stricken refugee in the middle of a recession. My grandparents were grateful that they lived in a country that stood up against Hitler and tried to stop the slaughter.

I am sick and tired of hearing the notion that because a lot of people want to come here from Mexico who do not in fact have any skills we need or any intention of learning English are somehow ENTITLED to come here. Worse entitled to do so in violation of our migration laws or in front of other more qualified potential Americans. Even worse ENTITLED to do so at public expense just because they can't get all the stuff they want in their home countries.

I am personally profoundly offended that anyone would dare compare my patriotic, hard working, English speaking, skilled, tax paying relatives with people who want to come here solely so they can collect American social services.

I am no one's anchor baby. I am a tax paying, hard working, English speaking native. Most of all I fail to understand why I should welcome anyone to my country who isn't merely because some people can't tell the difference between 1910 and 2010.

Oh yes I was. So were my relatives. The United States has legally allowed millions and millions of people from Mexico to become Americans. The United States has been incredibly generous to Mexicans despite the fact that many migrants are low skilled and do not speak English.

Americans do not owe a country with huge resources and 11 billionaires anything else. We've already been incredibly nice.

Mexicans have a country of their own. Let them stay there and fix it up instead of violating our laws and making demands of American taxpayers. Let them finally make demands of Carlos Slim instead of Joe Taxpayer.

Every single country INCLUDING Mexico has immigration laws. Explain to me why you think Americans shouldn't? Or why Mexicans should get special privileges denied to other would be migrants? Why on Earth should we welcome surly whiners who argue that we all suck?

If we're all the miserable racists you've alleged why don't you leave? Why would any Mexican want to come here in the first place?
VERY WELL PUT +
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration