U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times

Advertisements

As a passport and/or green card is on the I-9 A list - you can easily supply a DL and SS card from the B & C list and not have to supply ANY A list document.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM

86 posts, read 160,393 times
I didn't say they were all illegal; I said they were all Mexicans. The ones whom I suspect are illegals are the ones who can't speak English. How do you become legal w/o speaking English? The person that we spoke to was from the corporate office, and he yelled at us "prove they're not legal". At which point, we said that's your job. The McDonald's is a corporate run place. On another note, a friend runs a landscaping business in the area. When we questioned him about the legality of his workers, he said they all had social security numbers. They're assumed legal until the government says they're not. So sad. Americans losing homes - can't find jobs and that's management's response. Our schools are about 40% hispanic - running special bilingual classes and dual language classes - all costing us a lot of money. The only language offered in the dual language classes is Spanish. Why not French, Chinese? I guess we all know why.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
I didn't say they were all illegal; I said they were all Mexicans. The ones whom I suspect are illegals are the ones who can't speak English. How do you become legal w/o speaking English? The person that we spoke to was from the corporate office, and he yelled at us "prove they're not legal". At which point, we said that's your job. The McDonald's is a corporate run place. On another note, a friend runs a landscaping business in the area. When we questioned him about the legality of his workers, he said they all had social security numbers. They're assumed legal until the government says they're not. So sad. Americans losing homes - can't find jobs and that's management's response. Our schools are about 40% hispanic - running special bilingual classes and dual language classes - all costing us a lot of money. The only language offered in the dual language classes is Spanish. Why not French, Chinese? I guess we all know why.
They can be legal and not speak a word of English, in fact in some parts of the country, they can be born here, attend school here and not speak English.

However - if they're legal, the employer was supposed to have made some attempt to hire Americans first - and that's the part that isn't done.

When a business has 80%-100% employees of just one ethnicity and 80%-100% of the employees cannot speak English, you can suspect they weren't trying at all to employ Americans. With the high unemployment rates here in the USA, certainly some Americans would have accepted the job.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
It seems that all the fast food workers in our area are Mexican (even management). Some of whom can hardly speak English. What is the incentive for these places to hire Mexicans? When we questioned one of the corporate guys about the legality of the workers, the man said "prove they're not legal". Isn't it up to those who hire to prove whether they are legal or not? If it's a legitimate business, don't they have to file W-2s and such for these workers and pay minimum wages? Are they getting something back from the government for hiring minorities? Our high school kids can't even find jobs anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why they insist on hiring these folks who are probably undocumented.
what does a "Mexican" look like? and how and YOU tell the difference?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 PM

86 posts, read 160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
what does a "Mexican" look like? and how and YOU tell the difference?
You're probably right - I couldn't tell the difference by "looking" between someone from Mexico and Cuba or any other latino community. However, in our area, the majority of those who can't speak English are from Mexico. I've worked in a hospital and schools and that's a pretty definite fact. The individualls who are here from Cuba or Puerto Rico seem to speak English and have assimilated into the area.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The OP claims that "ALL the fast food workers", including management, in his area are illegals. I'd be surprised if McDonakds, Burger King, et al hired illegals & didn't check credentials. If they do then report them. The companies will face much bigger fines than the illegals.
Don’t be surprised. This is happening nationwide.

Quote:
RENO, Nev. — Two executives and the corporate owner of 11 northern Nevada McDonald's restaurants pleaded guilty to felony immigration charges and agreed to pay $1 million in fines.

Authorities say Mack Associates Inc. employed illegal immigrants at the fast-food restaurants by giving them names and Social Security numbers belonging to others.
McDonald's Franchisee Fined $1M for Hiring Illegal Aliens - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,278,882 times
When I was growing up most fast food workers were teenagers. Then I started noticing around the late 1980s through much of the 90s that adults, mostly white, became the majority of the fast food workforce. Perhaps teenagers didn't want to work fast food anymore? Anyway I noticed these adults were overall worse workers than the teens were. They were slower, didn't smile, were often rude..many seemed to be possessed with negative energy and they took it out on the customers.

For the last several years the vast majority of the fast food workers where I live are Hispanic. I'm not sure if they are legal or illegal, probably a mix of the two, but I can say that overall they are excellent workers. Most are quick and are very nice and pleasent to deal with..such a big improvement from the past.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
When I was growing up most fast food workers were teenagers. Then I started noticing around the late 1980s through much of the 90s that adults, mostly white, became the majority of the fast food workforce. Perhaps teenagers didn't want to work fast food anymore? Anyway I noticed these adults were overall worse workers than the teens were. They were slower, didn't smile, were often rude..many seemed to be possessed with negative energy and they took it out on the customers.

For the last several years the vast majority of the fast food workers where I live are Hispanic. I'm not sure if they are legal or illegal, probably a mix of the two, but I can say that overall they are excellent workers. Most are quick and are very nice and pleasent to deal with..such a big improvement from the past.
Fear of deportation tends to render excellent customer service. However, if they are here illegally, they are working using a stolen or fake SSN. In other words, they are criminals.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:51 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,959,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
When I was growing up most fast food workers were teenagers.
When I was growing up kids had newspaper routes. Maybe it's because of declining subscribers but now newspapers are delivered by adults in cars. They are "independent contractors" & don't get paid much or have benefits- maybe that's why most are immigrants.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM

2,788 posts, read 4,237,546 times
Quote:
It seems that all the fast food workers in our area are Mexican (even management). Some of whom can hardly speak English. What is the incentive for these places to hire Mexicans? When we questioned one of the corporate guys about the legality of the workers, the man said "prove they're not legal". Isn't it up to those who hire to prove whether they are legal or not? If it's a legitimate business, don't they have to file W-2s and such for these workers and pay minimum wages? Are they getting something back from the government for hiring minorities? Our high school kids can't even find jobs anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why they insist on hiring these folks who are probably undocumented.

They dont check..or dont care
My daughter work for McDonalds in Colorado..Tony Boselli owns several McDonalds my daughter said lots of the workders are illegal.
One worker went on vacation and her lover who is a manager and illegal would clock her in like she was working..So she got paid and she wasnt even there...My daughter is looking for another job..Tony Boselli your a scam..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or