U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 PM

4,933 posts, read 8,697,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
It seems that all the fast food workers in our area are Mexican (even management). Some of whom can hardly speak English. What is the incentive for these places to hire Mexicans?
I think a better question may be what does their applicant pool look like? In most urban areas in the U.S., restaurants are hiring burger flipping type positions in an applicant pool that is dominated by Hispanics.

Quote:
When we questioned one of the corporate guys about the legality of the workers, the man said "prove they're not legal". Isn't it up to those who hire to prove whether they are legal or not?
Not necessarily, it is only up to the employer to follow federal and state mandated hiring requirements. If an applicant successfully goes through the I-9 process, has indicated that he/she has the legal right to work in the U.S. and can provide documents that appear to be real and belong to he/she, the applicant is good to go. If all of this checks out and the employer decides to not hire based on the fact that the applicant is Hispanic and doesn't speak English that well, thereby assuming the applicant is not actually legal that would be a discriminatory hiring practice, which is illegal and punishable by law.

Quote:
If it's a legitimate business, don't they have to file W-2s and such for these workers and pay minimum wages?
Yes.

Quote:
Are they getting something back from the government for hiring minorities?
No, but all employers are required to file EE1 reports which shows their employees broken down by position, location and race to show the OFCCP that they are in compliance with affirmative action and that there are not discriminatory hiring practices taking place.

Quote:
Our high school kids can't even find jobs anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why they insist on hiring these folks who are probably undocumented.
In my experience in the restaurant industry, in alot of cases Hispanic individuals are very hard workers and many have alot of experience working in the restaurant industry. In the end, it goes back to who is applying for these jobs. I guarantee if you take a look at the applicant pool for these positions it contains a very high concentration of Hispanics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 10,014,935 times

Old 11-23-2010, 02:15 PM

14,307 posts, read 6,377,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Many of you are missing the point on why hispanics are preferred over anyone else. They have a work ethic. They show up to work, they show up on time, they work their entire shift, they dont call out, no excuses. Its easy to hire small crews of 2-3 Americans. But ask any employer whose tried to hire a large crew. The quality/quantity of applicants is pretty poor.

Even though unemployment is high, many people will still not take step down jobs. And then there is also shift work. Try finding people to work 2nd or 3rd shift.

You need to look from the point of the employer: How high can you go in payroll without having to raise your prices to a point where you cease to have customers?

We all shop at Supermarkets. We all see food prices skyrocketing. In what direction do you think the fast food vendors prices are going? Every month is a balancing act.

We are getting to the point where a $20 bill barely feeds two people (maybe three).
Hispanics? Kind of stereotyping, aren't you? I find it racist to say that one group has a better work ethic than an another. If you are referring to the illegal kind they are afraid of being reported to ICE so they do whatever the employer tells them to and beyond that just to keep their jobs. Many of them both legal and illegal are always taking off to Mexico because of some supposed sick or dead relative so they do take a lot of time off.

You forget that many of these jobs our youth used to do before illegals entered the picture. As for our unemployed adults they already lost those jobs to illegals before they were drawing unemployment and it had nothing to do with their work ethnic....think greed!

If an employer can't afford to pay a fair wage to an American then they should go out of business. Prices will only rise to what the market can bear. By the way, why are our prices at the supermarket sky high since there are so many illegals picking our crops? Hmm.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,973,253 times
Quote:
I'll use the construction industry. I know of numerous roofers who pay MORE to hispanics because they show up to work, they show up on time, they work their entire shift, they dont call out, no excuses.

Look around you. Who do you see on cell phones? Who do you see hanging out in front of stores (or sometimes the back)? Americans (non-minority) in this this age group have no work ethic. Hispanics do. I'm not going to seperate legal from illegal.

In case you hadn't noticed, you're posting in the Illegal Immigration forum. We're not discussing the perceived work ethics of one ethnicity over another.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM

11,087 posts, read 9,241,206 times
Quote:
Don't say "WE". Unlike you, I'm an American and I don't favor illegal migrants over fellow Americans...as you do.
Unlike you, I do not descriminate based on language. And where in any of my statements do I state I favor illegals??

Why don't you go to dhs.gov and pull up the 2009 (since 2010 is not over yet) and pull up the amount of legal immigrants. Here I'll start: Mexico 164,920.

Quote:
We are getting to the point where a $20 bill barely feeds two people (maybe three).
Maybe you can get more out a $20 in Oklahoma, but many can't.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I think a better question may be what does their applicant pool look like? In most urban areas in the U.S., restaurants are hiring burger flipping type positions in an applicant pool that is dominated by Hispanics.

Not necessarily, it is only up to the employer to follow federal and state mandated hiring requirements. If an applicant successfully goes through the I-9 process, has indicated that he/she has the legal right to work in the U.S. and can provide documents that appear to be real and belong to he/she, the applicant is good to go. If all of this checks out and the employer decides to not hire based on the fact that the applicant is Hispanic and doesn't speak English that well, thereby assuming the applicant is not actually legal that would be a discriminatory hiring practice, which is illegal and punishable by law.

Yes.

No, but all employers are required to file EE1 reports which shows their employees broken down by position, location and race to show the OFCCP that they are in compliance with affirmative action and that there are not discriminatory hiring practices taking place.

In my experience in the restaurant industry, in alot of cases Hispanic individuals are very hard workers and many have alot of experience working in the restaurant industry. In the end, it goes back to who is applying for these jobs. I guarantee if you take a look at the applicant pool for these positions it contains a very high concentration of Hispanics.
All you do is skip over the facts as if illegal workers were some kind of exception.

What that tells me is that you, and the other ones kissing up to illegals on this thread, are cheap ass employers that will hire anyone that can be exploited

Old 11-23-2010, 02:54 PM

20,293 posts, read 11,497,426 times
Quote:
I'll use the construction industry. I know of numerous roofers who pay MORE to hispanics because they show up to work, they show up on time, they work their entire shift, they dont call out, no excuses.

Look around you. Who do you see on cell phones? Who do you see hanging out in front of stores (or sometimes the back)? Americans (non-minority) in this this age group have no work ethic. Hispanics do. I'm not going to seperate legal from illegal.
Lets use the construction industry. Illegals have invaded the industry. Illegal drywall hangers. They will hang for 1/3 or more less than a legal, licensed and insured contractor. They will use nails instead of glue and screws.
It has nothing to do with work ethic or quality of work and everything to do with cheap.
The same goes for the roofers and masons.
The greedy builder pockets the savings. End of story.
Cell phones. Well I have seen plenty of hispanics yaking on their cell phones.
hanging out in front of stores or in back. Paaaalease. Its just as common to see a group of hispanics hanging out together as any other race.
Whites and blacks or legals citizens don't show up for work? Where do you come up with this racist crap? I work in a factory of 3000 employees. The average incident rate in our mill is 3 incidents for 48 total ours. 3= how many times they called in sick or did not show up on a schedueled work day. By the way we work 12 hour swing shifts. Hispanics constitute the extreme minority in our mill. Less than asian, or black. employees.
And just why won't you seperate legal from illegal? There is a difference you know. For example legals won't work for the wages their illegal counter parts will either. The other obvious difference is of course legals actually have a right to be here, and to work here.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Unlike you, I do not descriminate based on language. And where in any of my statements do I state I favor illegals??

Why don't you go to dhs.gov and pull up the 2009 (since 2010 is not over yet) and pull up the amount of legal immigrants. Here I'll start: Mexico 164,920.

Maybe you can get more out a $20 in Oklahoma, but many can't.
What does anything that I've said have to do with language?

The dollar bill no longer exists, they are now "Federal Reserve Notes"
Pull one out and read it.

BTW, I'm talking about "illegal migrants" here, not "legal immigrants".

Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM

11,087 posts, read 9,241,206 times
Quote:
In case you hadn't noticed, you're posting in the Illegal Immigration forum. We're not discussing the perceived work ethics of one ethnicity over another.
I know where we are, I know most of us came to this country via immigration somewhere in our pasts and I know what country I'm in. This country is built on immigration. And based on the OPs statement we have no right to assume anything based on language skills.

But we are the only country on the planet that does not require its residents to carry proof of citizenship. If you want to fix the problem, then we will need every legal resident to carry a National ID. And you know whats really great, It already exists. Its called a Passport Card.

Quote:
You forget that many of these jobs our youth used to do before illegals entered the picture. As for our unemployed adults they already lost those jobs to illegals before they were drawing unemployment and it had nothing to do with their work ethnic....think greed!
Our kids did do it 20-30 years ago. The current kids don't. As for unemployed adults their jobs got outsourced to other countries.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 11-23-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM

5,672 posts, read 2,286,491 times
Quote:
I know where we are, I know most of us came to this country via immigration somewhere in our pasts and I know what country I'm in. This country is built on immigration. And based on the OPs statement we have no right to assume anything based on language skills.

But we are the only country on the planet that does not require its residents to carry proof of citizenship. If you want to fix the problem, then we will need every legal resident to carry a National ID. And you know whats really great, It already exists. Its called a Passport Card.
Most of us didn't 'come here'. Most of us were born here.

The country is now built-up. Mass immigration is no longer needed or wanted.

Many Americans have passports, but they are not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration