U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
All you do is skip over the facts as if illegal workers were some kind of exception.

What that tells me is that you, and the other ones kissing up to illegals on this thread, are cheap ass employers that will hire anyone that can be exploited
Nope, we're all following the laws we're required to follow per federal and state governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:24 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I know where we are, I know most of us came to this country via immigration somewhere in our pasts and I know what country I'm in. This country is built on immigration. And based on the OPs statement we have no right to assume anything based on language skills.

But we are the only country on the planet that does not require its residents to carry proof of citizenship. If you want to fix the problem, then we will need every legal resident to carry a National ID. And you know whats really great, It already exists. Its called a Passport Card.

Our kids did do it 20-30 years ago. The current kids don't. As for unemployed adults their jobs got outsourced to other countries.
Well where I live American kids still work those jobs.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM

20,892 posts, read 22,671,095 times
Quote:
Most of us didn't 'come here'. Most of us were born here.
Quote:
....via immigration somewhere in our pasts
But someone in your past immigrated to this country? A previous generation maybe?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
But someone in your past immigrated to this country? A previous generation maybe?
And this has what to do with the discussion about illegals and the jobs they take from legals?
The majority in this nation entered following a legal path. Born to citizen parents, or entered on a VISA became perm. residents and often later to become citizens. In short they obeyed our laws.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:36 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
I know where we are, I know most of us came to this country via immigration somewhere in our pasts and I know what country I'm in. This country is built on immigration. And based on the OPs statement we have no right to assume anything based on language skills.

But we are the only country on the planet that does not require its residents to carry proof of citizenship. If you want to fix the problem, then we will need every legal resident to carry a National ID. And you know whats really great, It already exists. Its called a Passport Card.

Our kids did do it 20-30 years ago. The current kids don't. As for unemployed adults their jobs got outsourced to other countries.
The difference is 20-30 years ago there weren't 12 million plus illegal alien cheap workers in this country. Our youth of today don't get hired because of the cheap rate of pay and the language barriers now. Many adult jobs did get outsourced but many of them did not such as construction. They also were taken by cheap illegal labor.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Well, a dead tip-off is they can't speak a word of English.....
that is idiotic.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
that is idiotic.
Why? Unless they just got off the boat a days before being hired they should be able to speak some English. Illegals tend to stay among their own which further handicaps their ability to learn the language. Most legals who intend to become perm. residents or citizens make it a point to learn the language as quickly as possible.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA
Look around you. Who do you see on cell phones? Who do you see hanging out in front of stores (or sometimes the back)? Americans (non-minority) in this this age group have no work ethic. Hispanics do. I'm not going to seperate legal from illegal.
This is some straight up bullsh*t right here.

So, Americans "non-minority" (AKA, whites only) have no work ethic?

Logically, then, you're asserting that black Americans and Asians and Hispanic Americans DO have work ethic?

Dude, seriously get yourself to a place with a sizable number of Hispanic and other minorities before spouting off at the mouth. There is nothing per se about "hispanic culture" that makes them good workers, and the American hispanic kids are perfect examples of that, as they are just as big of slackers as Americans. Also, there's nothing about Latin or South America that screams "we have a great work ethic in this country." At ALL.

What contractors like about "hispanics" (the illegal ones, since the legal ones need benefits too and have recourse when minimum wage is not offered) is that they are cheap. Plain and simple.

My father (a legal immigrant from a Latin country) worked construction back in the late 80s before becoming disabled. Wages for construction have stagnated since then, and workers replaced by horeds of illegals have replaced the Americans my father worked with. Another development? Oh yeah, quality of homes also and construction is widely regarded as having been down during the same period. GREAT!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:

What was done in the past is history. We're living in today's reality.
So what does any of what YOUR saying have to do with illegal immigration.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Many of you are missing the point on why hispanics are preferred over anyone else. They have a work ethic. They show up to work, they show up on time, they work their entire shift, they dont call out, no excuses. Its easy to hire small crews of 2-3 Americans. But ask any employer whose tried to hire a large crew. The quality/quantity of applicants is pretty poor.

Even though unemployment is high, many people will still not take step down jobs. And then there is also shift work. Try finding people to work 2nd or 3rd shift.

You need to look from the point of the employer: How high can you go in payroll without having to raise your prices to a point where you cease to have customers?

We all shop at Supermarkets. We all see food prices skyrocketing. In what direction do you think the fast food vendors prices are going? Every month is a balancing act.

We are getting to the point where a $20 bill barely feeds two people (maybe three).
Pure hogwash. Their work ethic is no better or worse than any other ethnic or racial group. I managed a project comprised of a large Hispanic population. Not only did I fire quite a few for no call/no shows, positive drug screenings, theft of government property, to name a few, but I also assisted the DEA in an investigation to bust a cocaine drug ring operated by a group of Hispanic workers. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the “sex ward” established by members of the night shift; or, the Hispanic worker who offered to get lunch for a group of his coworkers, collected their money, and never returned to work. Give me a friggin break!

The next time you feel compelled to extol the superior work ethic of Hispanics, do it among people who don’t have firsthand experience to refute your ridiculous claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or