U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You already named 1. Construction. Not all states are as diligent as yours.
Masons
Drywallers
roofers
paving
landscaping.
Except for the masons, none of these are high paying jobs. Even for the contractors themselves in these arent high paying fields. And for most of the the country these are seasonal. Maybe poeple from California, Texas and Florida should enlighten me since these three states have the highest illegal populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 PM

5,771 posts, read 6,969,484 times
Where I live all the fast food workers are still Americans. Considering the only other person I saw on here say this is from PA too, maybe it's a PA thing lol.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Except for the masons, none of these are high paying jobs. Even for the contractors themselves in these arent high paying fields. And for most of the the country these are seasonal. Maybe poeple from California, Texas and Florida should enlighten me since these three states have the highest illegal populations.
Maybe that's why there are so many more illegals there since that work can be done down there much more year round than let's say New England or the Great Lakes area.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Where I live all the fast food workers are still Americans. Considering the only other person I saw on here say this is from PA too, maybe it's a PA thing lol.
I see you live in Pittsburgh. I can attest to the lack of illegals in that area. I am originally from a small town near Pittsburgh, and while I left the area years ago, I frequently visit family and friends living in Pittsburgh and neighboring areas. I last visited in September, and it was quite refreshing to see Americans are still doing those jobs “Americans won’t do.”

Unfortunately, the area isn’t completely free of illegals, because an illegal was recently convicted of murder in Canonsburg.

Quote:
CANONSBURG, Pa. (AP) - An illegal Mexican immigrant has pleaded guilty in the stabbing death of his southwestern Pennsylvania neighbor in February, and will face deportation after he serves a 15- to 30-year prison sentence.

Twenty-5-year-old Samuel Juarez Cruz apologized through an interpreter Thursday, after pleading guilty to third-degree murder and conspiracy in the death of 26-year-old Jose Medina, of Honduras.

Washington County prosecutors say both men were laborers living in a Canonsburg apartment building.
Illegal immigrant guilty in western Pa. stabbing - abc27 News

Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM

60,095 posts, read 30,614,837 times
They must have done something here.

I'm starting to see the illegals gone and more kids working in the Taco Bells, Mickey D's and Whataburger's

Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,278,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's funny my experience has been exactly the opposite. When there used to be "citizens" of all ethnicities and ages working those places the service was better, no communication problems, my order was right and I always got a smile and friendly attitude from them. They were hard workers also. Not so today with all these non-English speaking (probably illegal) Latinos. Me thinks you are trying to pull some legs around here.
No I'm being sincere. I had my worst fast food experiences in the era directly before Hispanics took over the majority of the fast food workforce. BTW, I'm not pro-illegal immigration, I'm just calling it how I see it on this specific issue.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
No I'm being sincere. I had my worst fast food experiences in the era directly before Hispanics took over the majority of the fast food workforce. BTW, I'm not pro-illegal immigration, I'm just calling it how I see it on this specific issue.

Well, if we are basing it on how desperate workers are and the fact that they won't complain about harsh working conditions then maybe we should think about sneaking in illegals from other areas that will work even more cheaply as they've come from even worse conditions.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I see you live in Pittsburgh. I can attest to the lack of illegals in that area. I am originally from a small town near Pittsburgh, and while I left the area years ago, I frequently visit family and friends living in Pittsburgh and neighboring areas. I last visited in September, and it was quite refreshing to see Americans are still doing those jobs “Americans won’t do.”

Unfortunately, the area isn’t completely free of illegals, because an illegal was recently convicted of murder in Canonsburg.

Illegal immigrant guilty in western Pa. stabbing - abc27 News
I'd agree but compared to other areas I'd say it's pretty close. I can go a fairly long time without seeing a Hispanic in this area however.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 PM

22 posts, read 39,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
It seems that all the fast food workers in our area are Mexican (even management). Some of whom can hardly speak English. What is the incentive for these places to hire Mexicans? When we questioned one of the corporate guys about the legality of the workers, the man said "prove they're not legal". Isn't it up to those who hire to prove whether they are legal or not? If it's a legitimate business, don't they have to file W-2s and such for these workers and pay minimum wages? Are they getting something back from the government for hiring minorities? Our high school kids can't even find jobs anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why they insist on hiring these folks who are probably undocumented.
Probably the worst case that I've experienced in this regard has been at the Carls's Jr. in the strip mall at the Ramona Expressway at State Street. On multople occasions I have ordered from the drive-thru there and the barely-English-speaking employee got my order WRONG. One time, I requested "cream and sugar" for a coffee, as I recall, and the (likely illegal alien) person manning the drive-thru 2-way radio was absolutely confused by the terms "cream and sugar".

Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly'The Machine'Levene View Post
Probably the worst case that I've experienced in this regard has been at the Carls's Jr. in the strip mall at the Ramona Expressway at State Street. On multople occasions I have ordered from the drive-thru there and the barely-English-speaking employee got my order WRONG. One time, I requested "cream and sugar" for a coffee, as I recall, and the (likely illegal alien) person manning the drive-thru 2-way radio was absolutely confused by the terms "cream and sugar".
So it's "Levene & Shelly" instead of "Lavern & Shirley"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or