U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
He may well have been using a false SS. That is common. May or may not be someone elses. Often a relatives. He may also have a TID which works much the same. The taxes are paid whether the ID is good or bad.

Sales and property taxes are paid by all legal or illegal.

And yes it may well be illegal. Still paid.
It may be a legal relative letting illegals use their SS# while they get credited.
Then later in life the legal relative can collect the SS.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Nope. Illegal and criminal are different things. The US generally treats unlawful entry as an administrative offense. But still irrelevant. Even if a convicted felon on his way to prison his estate would still have every right to sue.
In this country everyone has a legal right to sue someone for anything and everything.
I can be sued for saving your life because I am not an EMT. I saved your life but that doesn't matter. Yes that has happened.
It is criminal to commit fraud. IE false ID, use someone elses SSN, to work under the table.
Sorry no sale. I understand that the police have a job to do and should do it. That said I don't believe criminals should be rewarded because bad things happen to them when they commit crimes.
This scum bag illegal is dead but for 1 reason. His own bad choices. Had he returned to his own country he might very well be alive today. Instead he opted to live the life of a criminal. The cops are alleged to have not protected him. If this is the case they should be fired. End of story. No criminal should be rewarded for their crimes.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In this country everyone has a legal right to sue someone for anything and everything.
I can be sued for saving your life because I am not an EMT. I saved your life but that doesn't matter. Yes that has happened.
It is criminal to commit fraud. IE false ID, use someone elses SSN, to work under the table.
Sorry no sale. I understand that the police have a job to do and should do it. That said I don't believe criminals should be rewarded because bad things happen to them when they commit crimes.
This scum bag illegal is dead but for 1 reason. His own bad choices. Had he returned to his own country he might very well be alive today. Instead he opted to live the life of a criminal. The cops are alleged to have not protected him. If this is the case they should be fired. End of story. No criminal should be rewarded for their crimes.
You in favor of machine gunning the criminal speeder?

YOu simply have such a strong bias that you cannot deal with reason.

There is no cure for that malady.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You in favor of machine gunning the criminal speeder?

YOu simply have such a strong bias that you cannot deal with reason.

There is no cure for that malady.
No.
But nor am I in favor of the speeders family sueing the state because they didn't have enough cops on the road to arrest every speeder.
Where did I even elude to an idea that cops should machine gun any criminal?
You assume a lot. Just because someone doesn't feel criminals or their families should be rewarded doesn't mean that I advocate for a police state.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
<<Also with them was Luis Almonte, a friend of the family who filed suit on behalf of the estate since the family’s legal status prevents them from doing so, Mateo told Efe. >>

I don't see how a 'friend of the family' can sue on their behalf. I would think he doesn't have standing in the court, meaning he wasn't an injured party.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Also with them was Luis Almonte, a friend of the family who filed suit on behalf of the estate since the family’s legal status prevents them from doing so, Mateo told Efe. >>

I don't see how a 'friend of the family' can sue on their behalf. I would think he doesn't have standing in the court, meaning he wasn't an injured party.

Apparently the "friend" has been made the administrator of the estate. The deceased victim's brother is in the USA, but perhaps he is also here illegally.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 AM

And why hasn't the family been deported yet?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:22 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
<<Apparently the "friend" has been made the administrator of the estate.>>

Would the court have appointed an administrator? I can't see an illegal alien, supposedly working for minimum wages, making a will, and naming an administrator. Also, the article says the friend is suing because the family is here illegally, not that he's an administrator. That said though, I've never known the fact that someone was here illegally to prevent them from suing. The whole thing seems funny to me.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 PM

401 posts, read 397,602 times
Quote:
Nope. Illegal and criminal are different things. The US generally treats unlawful entry as an administrative offense. But still irrelevant. Even if a convicted felon on his way to prison his estate would still have every right to sue.
You are right. An "illegal" and a criminal are different things. Each should be treated completely differently. Assuming the "criminal" is a US citizen he should be entitled to fair civil process through our court system. An "illegal" should not have the right to utilize the services of our court systems for his or her financial gain. If the illegal is also a criminal, the illegal should be immediately deported and would not have any right to civil trial either.

Here is an example where the US tax payers are being fleeced. Have the trial in his country of origin. Let his government pay for it.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
You are right. An "illegal" and a criminal are different things. Each should be treated completely differently. Assuming the "criminal" is a US citizen he should be entitled to fair civil process through our court system. An "illegal" should not have the right to utilize the services of our court systems for his or her financial gain. If the illegal is also a criminal, the illegal should be immediately deported and would not have any right to civil trial either.

Here is an example where the US tax payers are being fleeced. Have the trial in his country of origin. Let his government pay for it.
An illegal has all the rights of a citizen. We do not discriminate based on citizenship or legality. It is perfectly OK for a non-resident alien to sue in US courts. We treat foreigners just like locals in our courts and justice system.

Having traveled a lot of the world as an employee of a US corporation I have visited a number of places where I was an illegal. It is a standard American business practice. We would not want foreign governments however slapping US employees into jail would we?

illegality is basically a legal technicality generally of little import. Gets to be an issue in the US simply because there are too many.

We need to fix that but probably won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration