U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,913,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
An illegal has all the rights of a citizen. We do not discriminate based on citizenship or legality. It is perfectly OK for a non-resident alien to sue in US courts. We treat foreigners just like locals in our courts and justice system.

Having traveled a lot of the world as an employee of a US corporation I have visited a number of places where I was an illegal. It is a standard American business practice. We would not want foreign governments however slapping US employees into jail would we?

illegality is basically a legal technicality generally of little import. Gets to be an issue in the US simply because there are too many.

We need to fix that but probably won't.
At last we agree on something.
Illegals do have most of the rights of a legal citizen. At least as far as the constitution is concerned.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:54 PM

401 posts, read 398,402 times
Quote:
An illegal has all the rights of a citizen. We do not discriminate based on citizenship or legality. It is perfectly OK for a non-resident alien to sue in US courts. We treat foreigners just like locals in our courts and justice system.

Having traveled a lot of the world as an employee of a US corporation I have visited a number of places where I was an illegal. It is a standard American business practice. We would not want foreign governments however slapping US employees into jail would we?

illegality is basically a legal technicality generally of little import. Gets to be an issue in the US simply because there are too many.

I am not suggesting that we imprison an illegal alien criminal without due process. I am suggesting that that person be deported after the arrest. I do believe that you would be returned to the US (deported) if you committed a crime (not too severe) while traveling as an employee of a US corporation. Is this not correct ? I am sure there are some countries that would hold you without due process but that is another issue.

I am sure there are many countries' governments that refuse to hear civil suits by foreigners. I am simply suggesting that the US tax payers should not pay for law suits brought by illegal aliens against our government. Let them file the suit with their own government.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:15 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,970,981 times
Quote:

Then can you explain why a "friend of the family" is suing on behalf of the estate due to "the legal status of the family" preventing them from doing so? There's something weird with this case imho

Old 11-26-2010, 05:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,558,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Then can you explain why a "friend of the family" is suing on behalf of the estate due to "the legal status of the family" preventing them from doing so? There's something weird with this case imho
A friend of the family is not suing. The estate is suing. The estate is also suing the perps and their families in state court.

The administrator or executor of an estate is generally appointed by the court...generally with the agreement of the family.

All of this is driven by State law and differs substantially from state to state.

Any of you antis have a source that says this guy was in fact illegal? Does not appear in the record anywhere I can find it.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,234,181 times
Quote:
A friend of the family is not suing. The estate is suing. The estate is also suing the perps and their families in state court.

The administrator or executor of an estate is generally appointed by the court...generally with the agreement of the family.

All of this is driven by State law and differs substantially from state to state.

Any of you antis have a source that says this guy was in fact illegal? Does not appear in the record anywhere I can find it.
A friend in the family has a seprate law suit.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
A friend in the family has a seprate law suit.
Source?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Source?
My mistake.

I misread the part...

Quote:
Besides the federal lawsuit, the Lucero estate also has filed a lawsuit in state court against the families of the seven assailants.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:13 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,970,981 times
Quote:

I did have a link from the time when the event happened, but it's old and no longer working. I do recall that in the link it was stated the deceased had entered the USA legally on a visa (didn't say what kind) but had then overstayed.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I did have a link from the time when the event happened, but it's old and no longer working. I do recall that in the link it was stated the deceased had entered the USA legally on a visa (didn't say what kind) but had then overstayed.
Been here sixteen years. You know he did nothing in that time to regularize his status?

So you all have been blowing hard on this one and you don't actually know that the guy is illegal?

You wonder why I suspect you have an anti-hispanic bias?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I've read the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration