Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times

Advertisements

A plan to legalise those with higher education or a record of military service is a small step well worth taking

IT WAS always meant to have been one of Barack Obama’s big priorities. But along with saving the planet from global warming and closing down the prison camp at Guantánamo Bay, immigration reform has slithered down the White House’s to-do list as health care turned from triumph to liability. With the House of Representatives due to pass into Republican control at the beginning of next year and the Democrats’ majority in the Senate due to be slashed at the same time, Mr Obama looks set to end his second year in office without having brought forward a plan for immigration reform, let alone getting one enacted. Even climate-change legislation has fared better than that.

Immigration reform: Let them have a DREAM | The Economist

Good article.End these valuable immigrants !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
It's coincidental that it's called the DREAM act because, at this point that's all it is....a dream.
BTW, I really like this bill but it's probably dead on arrival now.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
One thing that is always brought up in these arguments that is BS.
Quote:
"living without authorisation inside America, many of whom have been there for decades doing jobs that Americans won’t do while living in the constant fear of deportation."
If they weren't here for the cheap labor then the companies may have to pay more for other workers but in no way will they just close up shop.

As far as letting them stay if they go to a school of higher education, the taxpayer will be on the hook for that also. I see no gain there, just more tax payer cost.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
One thing that is always brought up in these arguments that is BS.

If they weren't here for the cheap labor then the companies may have to pay more for other workers but in no way will they just close up shop.

As far as letting them stay if they go to a school of higher education, the taxpayer will be on the hook for that also. I see no gain there, just more tax payer cost.
That's not true.The US needs more high-skilled workers, more doctors and scientists are necessary

Old 12-01-2010, 04:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
That's not true.The US needs more high-skilled workers, more doctors and scientists are necessary
What is not true from what I said?

I have no problem with lawyers and doctors that want to come to this country.

I do have a problem with giving amnesty to illegals because they go to college for 2 years. You don't get a law degree or become a doctor after 2 years and it is ridiculous that citizens should have to compete with illegals for college grant money and scholarships.

As I said, more tax payer costs with no gain to the taxpayer.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,571 times
The "Economist" can kiss my behind on any topic now, what with their cheerleading for the TARP and "saving capitalism with public funds" before, when they were about to unload in their pants.

Especially in this uniquely US topic.

What can these limeys with their 'magazines' contribute to our border debate. Bugger off now, Brits. We are not your subjects, rather reverse - you are ours.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,571 times
Quote:
And the Dream act is the opposite. It provides non-skilled criminal (border violating) labor.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:27 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
What is not true from what I said?

I have no problem with lawyers and doctors that want to come to this country.

I do have a problem with giving amnesty to illegals because they go to college for 2 years. You don't get a law degree or become a doctor after 2 years and it is ridiculous that citizens should have to compete with illegals for college grant money and scholarships.

As I said, more tax payer costs with no gain to the taxpayer.
Stop making so much sense. Liberals don't like it.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
A plan to legalise those with higher education or a record of military service is a small step well worth taking

IT WAS always meant to have been one of Barack Obama’s big priorities. But along with saving the planet from global warming and closing down the prison camp at Guantánamo Bay, immigration reform has slithered down the White House’s to-do list as health care turned from triumph to liability. With the House of Representatives due to pass into Republican control at the beginning of next year and the Democrats’ majority in the Senate due to be slashed at the same time, Mr Obama looks set to end his second year in office without having brought forward a plan for immigration reform, let alone getting one enacted. Even climate-change legislation has fared better than that.

Immigration reform: Let them have a DREAM | The Economist

Good article.End these valuable immigrants !

The Economist is and always has been a left leaning publication. I give little credence to thier articles, as they always have a leftist spin.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Yeah, lets encourage illegal immigration. That's the ticket.

How do liberals sleep at night? I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration