Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,042 times

Advertisements

I think it helps to also put the CBO report into proper perspective. The director of the CBO is appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives and President pro tempore of the Senate, in this case Nancy Pelosi and Daniel Inouye, respectively. Needless to say, both Pelosi and Inouye are strong supporters of the Dream Act.

I would suspect that the CBO director and his staff of minions would like nothing more than to keep their jobs this winter, and consequently they'll need to keep both Nancy and Daniel happy. I doubt seriously that anything published by the CBO would frown upon the King and Queen .

For the most part cost estimating is really nothing more than crystal ball gazing. In this case the crystal balls of Nancy and Daniel. Not exactly the best crystal balls to be gazing into. I would also suspect that the CBO is like any other appointed government agency. It's a puppet to be used for those who pull it's strings.

Ideally, there should be two congressional cost estimates for any bill. One estimate coming from each side of the table. The true costs for legislation will most likely be found somewhere in the middle.

However, the real issue is not whether the CBO cost estimates will prove to be accurate or if the Dream Act will help reduce Government deficits. I doubt it will. But rather that we've elected politicians to represent us who are more than willing to reward lawlessness in exchange for quick Government and political "enrichment" (if there is any). This speaks volumes to our character.

Pro 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Is this the same CBO that claimed that Obamacare would pay for itself?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
Exactly Kele. The CBO are given the parameters that are to be used in figuring the data. Just as in any scientific study, if you ignore certain parameters it skews the data.

If illegals are taking the jobs Americans don't want they aren't making enough to PAY taxes...they would be getting refunds. All of a sudden they are going to be in the top income brackets that pay for everything? Come on give me a break! How many Americans want to be in that position and have worked hard but still haven't broken the barrier to get to the top?

Legalizing the illegals can't possibly add to our economy. Those that advocate legalization are quick to say that if illegals are forced to leave who will clean our houses and mow our lawns. I just can't fathom these same people paying off the debt and deficit as they eat up all the social services meant for citizens.

Are there really people out there that believe that bringing in 12 million poor people will be good for our economy? Do they honestly believe that by paying sales tax they are paying for the health care, education, section 8, WIC, Social Security fraud or accidents caused by uninsured drivers just to name a few? Or are the ones behind the driving force of Dreamies all people that don't actually pay taxes and get refunds every year? Are they people that want the benefits of cheap labor without realizing the underlying costs? Any benefit that goes to an illegal is a benefit that a citizen will never see. I don't understand why this isn't obvious.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM

555 posts, read 877,017 times
I don't believe any government studies or reports, especially when they support an administration political position. In this case, the economics are irrelevant. What is relevant is how did illegal aliens come to amass so much political power in the Congress that they have a proposed bill that benefits them at a time when America is in dire economic straights with record high unemployment and massive deficits. The answer is that the traitors in the Congress have not enforced our immigration laws for decades and allowed millions of anchor babies to accumulate this power for the benefit of their ethnocentric agenda. They all need to be removed, one way or another.

What is most troubling is that the border remains unsecured, and, if passed, this law would attract thousands more illegals across the border. If passed, the citizens need to stop any further invasion at the border. If we don't, that will be the end of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration