U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM

166 posts, read 212,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what makes us great is that "everyone" in the US is protected and has rights. if we pick and choose then who do we say doesn't get protected. perhaps old seniors or mentally challenged folks? the poor or perhaps someone that has a different religion than I do. our system isn't perfect for sure but we can't and shouldn't pick and choose
the very thing that makes us a great nation is going to bring us down. We're too soft. Isn't it strange that we need to protect their rights but we shouldn't enforce our other laws? Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
and they don't have ANY constitutional 'rights' to be in this country illegally in the first place.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,978,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
yeah we NEED to 'protect' illegals - the article never said they were "awaiting a hearing" - it said they were "fighting deportation". In other words they've HAD a hearing and they're under a deportation order they're "fighting".
would your rather we just ignore the constitution?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
and they don't have ANY constitutional 'rights' to be in this country illegally in the first place.
it is my understanding everyone, legal or not has constitutional rights on US soil

Old 12-05-2010, 02:22 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
it is my understanding everyone, legal or not has constitutional rights on US soil
They have the right to be deported - or they can choose voluntary departure.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They have the right to be deported - or they can choose voluntary departure.
Her parents and one of her sisters were ordered to voluntarily deport within 60 days back in July this year. Can't find out if they HAVE left or not (probably not). Her other sister, at that time had an application for cancellation of removal proceedings in effect (she had a then 7 month old anchor baby), don't know if that's been heard yet.

It seems that Gaby was brought here by her parents when she was a child, but she is currently NOT illegal, having managed to find herself a sponsor and is currently on an F1 (foreign) student visa, which makes one wonder how she would even be eligible under the provisions of the Dream Act if it WERE to pass, as to be eligible one of the requirements is that you are UNdocumented (as they call it) at the time of enactment.

Or is this just one more case where they'll "make an exception"? (cough cough)

Last edited by Opyelie; 12-05-2010 at 03:15 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 AM

527 posts, read 1,501,633 times
The US has plenty of regulations... possibly too many. The problem with the US is that regulation and law does not accompany supervision and enforcement which in effect make regulation pointless.

It is hard to even consider ourselves part of a country due to the weaknesses of federalism. Our citizenship laws are some of the weakest in the world where we use place of birth as the "automatic" requirement for citizenship instead of blood lines like ever other country (where one parent has to be a citizen before the child can be "automatically" a citizen).

Couple that with no "official language" status and no means of documenting anybody other than a number with no corresponding picture, fingerprint, or biometric. Anybody can either steal or forge identity in this so called country.

And we wonder why we have such a problem with "illegal immigration"? You have to wonder if revoking citizenship provides more rights than we currently have.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
what makes us great is that "everyone" in the US is protected and has rights. if we pick and choose then who do we say doesn't get protected. perhaps old seniors or mentally challenged folks? the poor or perhaps someone that has a different religion than I do. our system isn't perfect for sure but we can't and shouldn't pick and choose
You mean like how the illegals pick and choose which of our laws they will or will not abide by? Like I.D. theft, using fake or stolen SS numbers and working in our country without authorization, just for starters?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Quote:
If we're such a "Great Nation" and we shouldn't "pick and choose", Then You tell me this.
Why does our Government get to "pick and choose" which laws to enforce and which laws illegal aliens are justified to break?
Why does our Government get to "pick and choose", which Rights apply, and who they apply to.
Not to mention employers that choose to hire illegal worker who have no rights to work in this country?

What happened to the EEOC Laws.. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.).. .which prohibit employment discrimination.?
So don't tell me the this is a Great nation because our Rights and Laws are spread out to EVERYONE.

We The People, The US Citizens, are the ones being discriminated against. If you can't see that, then you have an unequal balance that leans to one side yourself.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-05-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You mean like how the illegals pick and choose which of our laws they will or will not abide by? Like I.D. theft, using fake or stolen SS numbers and working in our country without authorization, just for starters?
I answered the op's question as to "why" IMO illegals are allowed to "fight" deportation. the op was not about other crimes that are being committed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If we're such a "Great Nation" and we shouldn't "pick and choose", Then You tell me this.
Why does our Government get to "pick and choose" which laws to enforce and which laws illegal aliens are justified to break?
Why does our Government get to "pick and choose", which Rights apply, and who they apply to.
Not to mention employers that choose to hire illegal worker who have no rights to work in this country?

What happened to the EEOC Laws.. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.).. .which prohibit employment discrimination.?
So don't tell me the this is a Great nation because our Rights and Laws are spread out to EVERYONE.

We The People, The US Citizens, are the ones being discriminated against. If you can't see that, then you have an unequal balance that leans to one side yourself.
I can't imagine any american not thinking we are a GREAT nation, despite our faults.

as to why our government picks and chooses what laws to enforce or ignore I would guess it is money.

if our government tries to pick and choose what rights to afford some and not others, in america we have the right to go to court and challenge it. does that mean we will always agree with the challenge, no of course not.

do I like it that a murderer, caught red handed, with his prints on a weapon, both his and the victims blood on it, as well as a confession to the police, can and does plead innocent and demands a jury trial? no. do I like it that once convicted to death he has what seems like unlimited appeals that can cost millions and drag on for years? no. however the other side of that coin is an innocent person charged with a crime they didn't commit.

same thing as to why people are able to fight what they feel they should, our constitution. it is a right. take out the emotion and the bias, the legal wrangling. the constitution is meant to protect us as individuals, even if we may not like the individual or their fight, we are all entitled to protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or