U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
LOL.... 1,003 out of 300 Million population. Sorry if I don't take this poll serious.
You obviously don't know how a scientific poll works huh? LOL

http://theweek.com/article/index/334...how-polls-work

Read and be enlightened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,610 posts, read 3,960,562 times
Reputation: 1389
"You guys on this forum are obviously in the minority."

Maybe those of us who are against the DREAM act are in the minority. So what?

We know how we feel and we support politicians who agree with us.

In the last election, the Democrats lost a bunch of seats in the House because a lot of white people who voted Democrat in 2008 chose to support Republicans in 2010.

I think the politicians are now taking the white vote more seriously and that is why some politicians who previously voiced some support for the DREAM act are now shying away from it. We'll see what happens in the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Tokyo (but will always be) Phoenix, Az
932 posts, read 1,640,789 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The majority of Americans support the dream act.




Rasmussen: Voters support idea of DREAM Act | The American Independent

You guys on this forum are obviously in the minority.
Please tell me how many times it took for the dream act to pass? It faced overwhelming opposition a few times, and now because of the tone deaf Democrats passed it doesn't mean we're the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Please tell me how many times it took for the dream act to pass? It faced overwhelming opposition a few times, and now because of the tone deaf Democrats passed it doesn't mean we're the minority.
A bill passing or not passing the congress doesn't reflect on how most most people fill about a particular piece of legislation. Once again, provide a credible scientific poll to back up your argument that you are not the minority on this issue. I have noted that majority of posters who are against any form of legalization claim to speak for the majority in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Tokyo (but will always be) Phoenix, Az
932 posts, read 1,640,789 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
A bill passing or not passing the congress doesn't reflect on how most most people fill about a particular piece of legislation. Once again, provide a credible scientific poll to back up your argument that you are not the minority on this issue. I have noted that majority of posters who are against any form of legalization claim to speak for the majority in this country.
FAIR: Poll Shows Most Voters Do Not Support DREAM Act (http://www.fairus.org/site/News2/1601521578?page=NewsArticle&id=23730&security=1601 &news_iv_ctrl=1741 - broken link)

Poll Shows Most Voters Do Not Support DREAM Act and Oppose Using Lame Duck Session to Pass It | Latest

After doing some research on your poll and other previous attempts to pass this act, turns that hispanics were the majority that voted on the poll. Of course the Democrats would vote to pass this bill, and this poll was conducted in an area of the country that doesn't feel the effects of illegal immigration as much as my state does.

[CENTER]
Forget everything else, but look at the last poll on this list. The majority here show that
the DREAM Act isn't important at all. In other words, they refused to put DREAM Act in its place, and instead phrased it "legalisation proccess". [/CENTER]

Last edited by Phxguy; 12-10-2010 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
List of sovereign states and dependent territories by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are 178th on the list of population density.

I think we've got room.
If I have a 5 bedroom house but only use 2 of them by your logic that means I should be expected to take in at least 2 homeless people and provide for them.
Because we have some room does not change the fact that we have a right to expect immigrants to obey our immigration laws. Nor does it take away the fact that as a nation we have a right to enforce our laws and hold all violators accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 06:56 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
[quote=tinman01;16966140]If I have a 5 bedroom house but only use 2 of them by your logic that means I should be expected to take in at least 2 homeless people and provide for them.
Because we have some room does not change the fact that we have a right to expect immigrants to obey our immigration laws. Nor does it take away the fact that as a nation we have a right to enforce our laws and hold all violators accountable.[/quote

As you know, it isn't just about "room" anyway. It is about the jobs and resources it takes to support a given population. The Sahara Desert has lots of room but just how many humans could it support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 07:11 AM
 
2,689 posts, read 3,007,062 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would support the Dream Act if it had mandatory military enlistment.

The two years of college is a huge loop hole. Any toolchest can enroll at some scummy junior college or online school like the University of Phoenix for two years. It's much harder having to enlist and serve in the U.S. military.

The Dream Act should be ammended and eliminate the college requirement and demand 4 years of military service.

It's a no-brainer. They have the choice of enlisting in the military and possibly dying overseas or enrolling in an online degree for 2 years or paying a few thousand a year to enroll in junior college and major in graphic design. What would you do? hmmm Give me a break. This is why the government shouldn't make decisions. It's not like they are demanding a 4 years college degree in electrical engineering.
So you're in favor of more government spending (military pay housing etc.) on illegal immigrants.

Sounds like that will fly with conservatives.....

(for the record I think your idea is good, but I don't see it getting anywhere on this forum)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 AM
 
2,689 posts, read 3,007,062 times
Reputation: 977
[quote=Phxguy;16964500]FAIR: Poll Shows Most Voters Do Not Support DREAM Act (http://www.fairus.org/site/News2/1601521578?page=NewsArticle&id=23730&security=1601 &news_iv_ctrl=1741 - broken link)

Poll Shows Most Voters Do Not Support DREAM Act and Oppose Using Lame Duck Session to Pass It | Latest

[quote]

More proof that you can find a poll to support any point of view.

I'm betting with the right wording you can conduct a poll that would get people to think a Hitler/Stalin ticket would win in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 07:18 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
FAIR: Poll Shows Most Voters Do Not Support DREAM Act (http://www.fairus.org/site/News2/1601521578?page=NewsArticle&id=23730&security=1601 &news_iv_ctrl=1741 - broken link)

Poll Shows Most Voters Do Not Support DREAM Act and Oppose Using Lame Duck Session to Pass It | Latest

After doing some research on your poll and other previous attempts to pass this act, turns that hispanics were the majority that voted on the poll. Of course the Democrats would vote to pass this bill, and this poll was conducted in an area of the country that doesn't feel the effects of illegal immigration as much as my state does.

[CENTER]
Forget everything else, but look at the last poll on this list. The majority here show that
the DREAM Act isn't important at all. In other words, they refused to put DREAM Act in its place, and instead phrased it "legalisation proccess". [/CENTER]
The organization that sponsored those polls are anti-immigrant and clearly have an agenda. Please provide a poll that is not commissioned by FAIR, NUMBERUSA, CIS.

Quote:
After doing some research on your poll and other previous attempts to pass this act, turns that hispanics were the majority that voted on the poll.
Got a link to this research you are talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top