Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
An associates degree is completed in two years. They have a choice of college or military.

I wouldn't get my Victoria's Secrets in too big of a wad. Memphis' earlier post is spot on. I too believe this is grandstanding. It still has to get through the Senate.

But................this is Christmas and CHIRSTmas is known for miracles. I'll be praying for these young people to be able to start the path of legal citizenship to the only country that has been home.

If this passes, it will indeed be a CHRISTmas miracle.
Sorry, read the fine print! They aren't required to attain a degree. They are only required to complete two years of college. If you attend a university for 2 years, you are not automatically granted an associates degree just for completing 2 years of school.

And what the hell is an associates degree going to do for you? The idea of making these people get an education is to make them more competitive for jobs and productive members of society. If you are going to have an education requirement, at the very least make it worthwhile by making people earn a bachelors degree.

What do you think most of these people will do when given the option of joining the military vs doing two years of community college. Give me a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The illegals have to be nationalized to keep the pool of cheap and exploitable labor available.
Oh trust me, having an associates degree is not going to change their status of being cheap and exploitable labor. It's not like these people are forced to get bachelors degrees in finance or engineering. Getting an associates degree in communications with a C average will mean they will continue to work at fast food restaurants because it's a worthless degree. The only entity who will profit from this will be the University of Phoenix and other diploma mills. The tax payers will be footing the bill for this sham legislation to create the ultimate loophole to amnesty.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
and just HOW will an influx of newly minted legal Dreamies lining up for 2 years of Community College classes help when said junior colleges all across the USA are ALREADY stretched to the max as it is?
Quote:
In some parts of the country, the budget stresses are so serious that the whole concept of community colleges as open-access institutions — where anyone, with any educational background, can enroll at any point in their lives — is becoming more an aspiration than a reality.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/ed...community.html

Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Our legislators seem more preoccupied with legalizing illegals than keeping them out in the first place.
I was told this would happen by a grammar School teacher some 30 years ago. The teacher said he couldn't tell us how he knew but he wanted to let us know. Another thing he told us was to start learning Spanish because in our future it will become our new language. Damned if he wasn't right so far.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
How can people voted into office in Washington not listen to the majority of the people?

What would happen if these young people can stay but have NO chance of later get their family members "legally" here....wouldn't that be a better idea. That is really thinking only at the kids, and not rewarding their criminal parents!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,229 times
The passing of this act has truly marked the beginning of the end of America as we know it.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,478 times
The majority of Americans support the dream act.
Quote:
[LEFT]In a Gallup Poll released Friday, 54 percent of Americans said they would vote for a law that would create a route to citizenship for immigrants who go to college or serve in the military. Forty-two percent said they would vote against the bill. [/LEFT]
Quote:

A Rasmussen poll shows that in theory, at least, voters should support the DREAM Act: Most voters in the poll said children brought to the U.S. illegally should get a chance at citizenship if they complete two years of college or participate in the military.
Rasmussen: Voters support idea of DREAM Act | The American Independent

You guys on this forum are obviously in the minority.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:34 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That's what you'd like to believe.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That's what you'd like to believe.
I have two reputable polls to back me up. What do you have?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The majority of Americans support the dream act.

Rasmussen: Voters support idea of DREAM Act | The American Independent

Quote:
random sample of 1,003 adults
LOL.... 1,003 out of 300 Million population. Sorry if I don't take this poll serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration