U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,833,102 times
Reputation: 9878

Advertisements

Right now, peoplare debating Dream Act vs No Dream Act.

However, how would you feel if the Dream Act was limited to military service and a minimum of 4-6 years of service was required to attain citizenship.

I would support this. I would not support any type of college education as a means of gaining citizenship. That just creates loop holes and diploma mills will be created to specialize in serving these individuals. Can you imagine the sudden emergence and growth of on-line schools offering 2 year degrees catering to this group in easy majors just to satisfy this requirement. I can see commercials all over television catering to this group much like you have shady groups on late night television offering credit to bankrupt people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
3,709 posts, read 4,492,665 times
Reputation: 3607
Nope

They have had enough time to go about this the legal
way and yet have chosen to spend the time in search
of Amnesty and the 'Free Ride' in fact I'm not sure
I'd even trust them in the military as their actions
seem to speak for themselves.

just my humble opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,833,102 times
Reputation: 9878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Nope

They have had enough time to go about this the legal
way and yet have chosen to spend the time in search
of Amnesty and the 'Free Ride' in fact I'm not sure
I'd even trust them in the military as their actions
seem to speak for themselves.

just my humble opinion
Oh please get a dose of reality. When does a 16 year old have the time and resources to go about this legally. Kids who are brought here when they were young had no choice. You can't blame them. How is some kid going to hire a lawyer and file the necessary paperwork to fulfill the path to citizenship.

That being said, there should be consequences for them being here AND there should be legislation to enable these people to fairly acquire their citizenship. Military service fulfills this. It requires great sacrafice and a service to this country. Spending two years in a community college studying graphic design does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
So what other crimes should be pardoned on the basis of military service?
What about the ones who came here at age 15? Dream act is good up until age 16 if I am not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So what other crimes should be pardoned on the basis of military service?
What about the ones who came here at age 15? Dream act is good up until age 16 if I am not mistaken.
I believe under immigration laws, everyone under the age of 16 is considered a minor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I believe under immigration laws, everyone under the age of 16 is considered a minor.
Irrelevent. The prmise is that these ( Children) wouldn't fit in, in their native countries. If they came here after age 12 for example and they are 16 they would have less trouble fitting in there than they did when they arrived here.
Once again what other crimes should we pardon based on military service or an attempt at trade school or college. Success is not a criteria according to the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 AM
 
166 posts, read 212,151 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Oh please get a dose of reality. When does a 16 year old have the time and resources to go about this legally. Kids who are brought here when they were young had no choice. You can't blame them. How is some kid going to hire a lawyer and file the necessary paperwork to fulfill the path to citizenship.

That being said, there should be consequences for them being here AND there should be legislation to enable these people to fairly acquire their citizenship. Military service fulfills this. It requires great sacrafice and a service to this country. Spending two years in a community college studying graphic design does not.
Um, his parents were supposed to do that before they brought their kids here. They created this problem and then demand that WE fix it.
And there's already a system in place in our laws to allow non-citizens to serve and earn a path to citizenship. We don't need another watered-down version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Right now, peoplare debating Dream Act vs No Dream Act.

However, how would you feel if the Dream Act was limited to military service and a minimum of 4-6 years of service was required to attain citizenship.

I would support this. I would not support any type of college education as a means of gaining citizenship. That just creates loop holes and diploma mills will be created to specialize in serving these individuals. Can you imagine the sudden emergence and growth of on-line schools offering 2 year degrees catering to this group in easy majors just to satisfy this requirement. I can see commercials all over television catering to this group much like you have shady groups on late night television offering credit to bankrupt people.
Many of these "kids" are too old to join the military and many might not be able to pass the physical requirements. From what I understand there are already Americans waiting to get into the military and the openings are limited now.

I am opposed to the Dream Act, period. It isn't just about the kids but their parents won't get deported just as long as their kids qualify under the Dream Act. This isn't just about an amnesty for kids but their parents also. In otherwords it is just another blanket amnesty such as in 1986.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Right now, peoplare debating Dream Act vs No Dream Act.

However, how would you feel if the Dream Act was limited to military service and a minimum of 4-6 years of service was required to attain citizenship.

I would support this. I would not support any type of college education as a means of gaining citizenship. That just creates loop holes and diploma mills will be created to specialize in serving these individuals. Can you imagine the sudden emergence and growth of on-line schools offering 2 year degrees catering to this group in easy majors just to satisfy this requirement. I can see commercials all over television catering to this group much like you have shady groups on late night television offering credit to bankrupt people.
I wouldn’t support ANY measure to legalize the arrogant, entitlement-minded, unethical DREAMies who post on the DREAM Act Portal Forum. If these “children” are representative of the vast majority of DREAM Act beneficiaries, they are much too narcissistic to genuinely desire to serve this country in our military, let alone risk their lives. I certainly wouldn’t want my son’s life to be dependent on a DREAMie covering his back during combat. There may be a few exceptions, but the ADULT DREAMies who post on that forum certainly do not fit the bill.

Prior to visiting their forum, I too, felt compassion. Their insolence and delusional sense of entitlement changed my mind. They don’t even have enough sense to appreciate the bill in Congress. They want MORE, and consider the current version of the DREAM Act to be pure BS. One delusional DREAMie has even implored his fellow illegals to contact “their” representatives to demand changes to the bill. There were also a few who stated they would “harm” this country if the DREAM Act fails. Yes, they are all patriotic “Americans” in every manner other than a silly document. They love the USA, and could not possibly live outside this country.

Many DREAMies are the same age as their parents when they illegally entered our country. If their parents managed to adapt to a foreign land with a 5th grade education, I am sure they are much better equipped due to their expensive, U.S-funded education. I wish them well, but I feel no obligation to reward them with citizenship. They have only their parents to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM
 
216 posts, read 198,544 times
Reputation: 88
ditto too, Benicar and chicagonut.
Always kills me is how much fake pride they have, right let go and fight for the beloved mexico.
They surely need them now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top