U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2010, 05:52 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
As the DREAM Act stalls in the Senate, a small majority of Americans say they support the path to legal status for people brought illegally to the United States as children.
In a Gallup poll released Friday, 54 percent of Americans said they would vote for a law that would create a route to citizenship for immigrants who had gone to college or served in the military. Forty-two percent said they would vote against the bill.


Read more: Poll: Slim majority supports DREAM Act - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

Independents overwhelmingly support this common sense piece of legislation. For those of you against it, don't post polls sponsored by CIS,NumbersUsa, FAIR . Post polls from a neutral, non-biased organizations.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Where was the poll cunducted? How was it worded? Where all the facts given.
For example the path is not dependent upon the person actually graduating.
It does not exclude those with a criminal record. ( Last I time I checked).
Did they discuss the requirments imposed upon legal immigrants who wish to sponsor their children for an F1 VISA (Student VISA)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Where was the poll cunducted? How was it worded? Where all the facts given.
For example the path is not dependent upon the person actually graduating.
It does not exclude those with a criminal record. ( Last I time I checked).
Did they discuss the requirments imposed upon legal immigrants who wish to sponsor their children for an F1 VISA (Student VISA)?
Why wouldn't the facts be given? Gallup is a pretty reliable, non biased polling firm.

Btw, it is very clear that those with criminal records would be excluded from the dream act.

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2010,1210-hernandez.shtm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why wouldn't the facts be given? Gallup is a pretty reliable, non biased polling firm.

Btw, it is very clear that those with criminal records would be excluded from the dream act.

ILW.COM - immigration news:Crime Provisions Of House's DREAM Act
What about using a false name, ssn and fake ID?
Most polls that I have endured use leading question that allow no room for discussion. Thats why I ask.
Also the location of where the poll was conducted is relevent because obviously if done in an area that is extremely liberal or high population of illegals would skew the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 PM
 
2,526 posts, read 2,313,186 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why wouldn't the facts be given? Gallup is a pretty reliable, non biased polling firm.

Btw, it is very clear that those with criminal records would be excluded from the dream act.

ILW.COM - immigration news:Crime Provisions Of House's DREAM Act
You can't be serious. Did you read the question that the poll asked? No mention of the Dream Act was even stated. Here are the words used in the poll question:



What law are they even talking about here? The word "Dream Act" is not even mentioned in the poll. Why not? What are the pollsters hiding from?

For news agencies to report that "54% of Americans favor the Dream Act" based upon this poll question is deception at best. That should be clear to anyone who reads it.

Suppose the pollsters had asked the following question:

Do you favor granting citizenship to illegal aliens who have broken our immigration laws and that would also provide a future path of chain migration citizenship for their alien family members?

What do you think the poll results would be on that question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Any legitimate or unbias Poll would show both Pro's and Con's on an issue, and
without trying to gain votes from either side.
This is nothing but a bias poll giving onesided information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
You can't be serious. Did you read the question that the poll asked? No mention of the Dream Act was even stated. Here are the words used in the poll question:



What law are they even talking about here? The word "Dream Act" is not even mentioned in the poll. Why not? What are the pollsters hiding from?

For news agencies to report that "54% of Americans favor the Dream Act" based upon this poll question is deception at best. That should be clear to anyone who reads it.

Suppose the pollsters had asked the following question:

Do you favor granting citizenship to illegal aliens who have broken our immigration laws and that would also provide a future path of chain migration citizenship for their alien family members?

What do you think the poll results would be on that question?
How do they even know that the 54% were even US Citizens? For all they know they could have all been members of La Raza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,136 posts, read 21,125,167 times
Reputation: 23163
I am wondering about the citizenship of the people being polled. I don't care what the polls say. You cannot have fairness when the people who want the amnesty are here without permission. My daughter had a friend from France that had two degrees. One was in business and the other came with a pilot's license. He went to the same pilot's school that the terrorists went to, but he had to go home to France because he could not get a work visa and was a law abiding citizen. He would have been an asset to our country. We even went to our senator to try and get permission for him to stay. No was the answer. Our senator told us that politicans have no pull when it comes to immigration. But they can give amnesty to illegals?

Our nation will soon be known as the nation of criminals. The rest of us will probably be dead. There is no compromise on this as far as I am concerned. You cannot turn people who have no respect for the law into good citizens. Go door to door and get rid of those who do not belong here. I am so tired of these illegals demanding rights that they should not have so they can work for nothing and make the rich richer while we are paying for everything. If our borders are not closed and the illegals sent back to where they came from and made to stay outside our borders, I predict a revolution. Stop it before it gets any worse. Our legal USA citizens deserve to be protected from these invaders.

What part of "these people don't belong here" don't you understand? They are destroying our country with the help of the government who is giving our money that we do not have to them. No we cannot give money to those who have paid into the SS and Medicare for years, but we can afford to pay twice the money the senior citizens are getting to people who are not even citizens. Can senior citizens sue the government because they are giving our money to people the constitution says cannot legally have it? If it were possible, I would like to be in on that class action law suit.

Last edited by NCN; 12-10-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am wondering about the citizenship of the people being polled. I don't care what the polls say. You cannot have fairness when the people who want the amnesty are here without permission. My daughter had a friend from France that had two degrees. One was in business and the other came with a pilot's license. He went to the same pilot's school that the terrorists went to, but he had to go home to France because he could not get a work visa and was a law abiding citizen. He would have been an asset to our country. We even went to our senator to try and get permission for him to stay. No was the answer. Our senator told us that politicans have no pull when it comes to immigration. But they can give amnesty to illegals?

Our nation will soon be known as the nation of criminals. The rest of us will probably be dead. There is no compromise on this as far as I am concerned. You cannot turn people who have no respect for the law into good citizens. Go door to door and get rid of those who do not belong here. I am so tired of these illegals demanding rights that they should not have so they can work for nothing and make the rich richer while we are paying for everything. If our borders are not closed and the illegals sent back to where they came from and made to stay outside our borders, I predict a revolution. Stop it before it gets any worse. Our legal USA citizens deserve to be protected from these invaders.

What part of "these people don't belong here" don't you understand? They are destroying our country with the help of the government who is giving our money that we do not have to them. No we cannot give money to those who have paid into the SS and Medicare for years, but we can afford to pay twice the money the senior citizens are getting to people who are not even citizens. Can senior citizens sue the government because they are giving our money to people the constitution says cannot legally have it? If it were possible, I would like to be in on that class action law suit.
The Senior Citizens haven't gotten a COLA"Cost Of Living Adjustment" in at least 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
The Senior Citizens haven't gotten a COLA"Cost Of Living Adjustment" in at least 3 years.
Not quite true ...........

Quote:
The COLA is based on the percentage change in consumer prices from the third quarter of one year to the same quarter the following year. Because of a big increase in energy prices from 2007 to 2008, the Social Security COLA was a whopping 5.8 percent in January 2009. With energy prices later falling and the onset of recession, the price index declined 2.1 percent between the third quarters of 2008 and 2009. Hence, no COLA for 2010.
With inflation still at a low, there's not likely to be any COLA for SS in 2011 either.

But basically, due to the steep increase in gas prices in 07/08, seniors actually received a higher COLA for 2009 than they would have otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top