U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 AM

451 posts, read 1,017,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am a black woman who grew up in rural Oklahoma, where train tracks separated cultures, and I was one of only two blacks in my senior class. I have been a soldier in the anti-American Middle East, and I have felt the isolation of being a conservative Republican instead of the liberal Democrat I am expected to be. Currently, I sport a badge of authority.

Because of these life experiences, I thought I had been called every name in the book except the one my parents gave me. But when a co-worker called me a racist, I was absolutely unprepared.

The accusation was made largely because of a sticker on the back of my truck. The simple statement "Stop illegal immigration" has earned me angry looks and obscene gestures in traffic. I have watched as cars rush to pull up beside the "redneck." Their scowls often turn to bewilderment when they spot me behind the wheel.

My Hispanic co-worker played the ace-in-the-hole race card by insisting only Latinos are being targeted for immigration reform. When I pointed out my sticker mentioned no race in particular, he stated, "It doesn't matter because everyone knows who you are referring to."

At that moment, I realized just how much irrational emotional feelings and personal agendas have alarmingly snuffed out common sense in this country. From top lawmakers in Washington to so-called sanctuary cities, everyone has succumbed to massive pressure from illegal factions.

Let us define common sense. It is the natural instinct that compels us to the logical thing when faced with an issue shrouded in smoke screens.
Continues,
The Denver Post - I'm a racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,429,696 times
Excellent editorial! I completely agree!

Oh, and to all of those people who call those who want secure borders "racist". It takes one to know one!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM

3,797 posts, read 7,258,245 times
Calling people names is a trite tactic used by people who know they have no solid ground on the issue. It's really sad that Americans can't speak for their country and for their rights without being ridiculed by foreign interests who live here but have little respect for Americans and our laws.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,763,043 times
Kind of like when pro border people call those who have no problem with immigrants "unamerican" I guess both sides call names for the same reasons

Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM

3,797 posts, read 7,258,245 times
You lost me. One side fights for the America and the rights of Americans. The other side of fights for illegal immigrants. Your people are smarter than me. You decide which side is anti-america, the side who fights for Americans or the side who fights for illegal foreigners.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:17 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,635,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
Excellent point- I went over this at great length in another post (check my posts if interested)- I'm in an interracial family. I have strong ties to the Hispanic community. I'm certainly in no position to be a "racist". The fact is that white racists are going to be attracted to the idea of "closing the border". White racists also like nice cars, cheap gas, and a balanced diet, I would imagine; that doesn't make these "racist" ideas.
Illegal immigration is a vexing legal problem, compounded by a huge cultural divide. It is not a "racist" issue, though indeed racists may want to chime in.
It may interest you to know that there are an awful lot of Hispanics here in California who are getting very disenchanted by "open borders". They may be "meanies", but they are hardly racists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration