Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,202,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Terrorism and Illegal immigration are to wholly separate issues; with two distinctly different modes of deterence. Two link the two methods is- at best-a naive interpretation of the of the two problems and their modes of combatance.
A secure border would serve both purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,400,200 times
The mindset on this board is exactly why I want to leave this country. I'm sick of the paranoid neo-cons insisting the sky is falling at every news blurb that Fox News puts out on the "scary illegals!!!" It is very unlikely that terrorists will cross illegally into the U.S. (the 9/11 terrorists all came legally), but it is highly likely that more American citizens will lose our rights because of insane policy changes driven by irrational fear.

I'll leave you guys with a quote from one of our Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Terrorism and Illegal immigration are to wholly separate issues; with two distinctly different modes of deterence. Two link the two methods is- at best-a naive interpretation of the of the two problems and their modes of combatance.
WHAT

A Naive Interpretation

PLEASE explain how they are separate issues I'd sure
hate to be as NAIVE as the current administration and
the amnesty supporting liberals, some of them I might add
who took an OATH to protect the United States of America

Because it's sure not getting done

Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The mindset on this board is exactly why I want to leave this country. I'm sick of the paranoid neo-cons insisting the sky is falling at every news blurb that Fox News puts out on the "scary illegals!!!" It is very unlikely that terrorists will cross illegally into the U.S. (the 9/11 terrorists all came legally), but it is highly likely that more American citizens will lose our rights because of insane policy changes driven by irrational fear.

I'll leave you guys with a quote from one of our Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
It's to bad you want to leave, but that's YOUR choice

Things along the border states are just a we bit different
then in Mankato...I've been there

And here is a Founding Fathers quote just for YOU !

“WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW…RESISTANCE BECOMES DUTY.â€

Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-16-2010, 04:24 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,294,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
It's to bad you want to leave, but that's YOUR choice

Things along the border states are just a we bit different
then in Mankato...I've been there

And here is a Founding Fathers quote just for YOU !

“WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW…RESISTANCE BECOMES DUTY.â€

Thomas Jefferson

One less liberal in America is a good thing!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 04:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,544,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
One less liberal in America is a good thing!!!
Amen to that! From a recovering liberal.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,202,780 times
Quote:

Enlighten me. How is securing the border giving up our freedom? The open or poorly secured border approach has been a dismal failure. It has in fact resulted in many citizens of this nation falling victim of a number of crimes including murder, rape,ID theft, Kidnapping, Child abuse and fraud. We have over 12 million illegals in this country costing us billions of dollars that would be better spent on our own citizens.
So please enlighten me. I really want to know why securing the border is a bad idea.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,302,007 times
Quote:
Militarize the Canadian border? WHY? Afraid of the Canadians coming down with their hockey and poutine, eh?

This country is quickly descending into fascism. If this happens, I will seriously consider leaving this country and moving to Canada. I don't want to live in a police state with no freedoms. Don't you realize the entire goal of the TERRORists is to take our freedom and sense of security? To cause people to become TERRIfied? If we descend into a fascist police state, the terrorists have won!
Say what? You just completely flipped out and went on a tangent because someone suggested putting military security on the borders. What is so wrong with that? First of all, don't forget we ARE The United States of America. One of the unfortunate things of being in the United States is that we are always a target, always. That is one of the things that comes along with being in the position that we are and having the history that we have.

And what? We are a fascist police state because we are being smart and taking appropriate precautions with the above-mentioned in mind? I don't understand all these people that run around throwing out all these political keywords and catch phrases. Sometimes I think you all don't think before saying that stuff or just don't realize what you are talking about. Who cares what the "terrorists want?" They ARE a real threat, we shouldn't not be cautious because we want to play some pride game in which we say, "We're not going to let them see us cautious." That's just asking for trouble.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,832,289 times
Quote:

which country were you planning on "blessing" with your presence?

Will you be going there LEGALLY or illegally? Please don't tell me you're planning on moving to a country that actually ENFORCES their immigration laws LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,400,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Say what? You just completely flipped out and went on a tangent because someone suggested putting military security on the borders. What is so wrong with that? First of all, don't forget we ARE The United States of America. One of the unfortunate things of being in the United States is that we are always a target, always. That is one of the things that comes along with being in the position that we are and having the history that we have.

And what? We are a fascist police state because we are being smart and taking appropriate precautions with the above-mentioned in mind? I don't understand all these people that run around throwing out all these political keywords and catch phrases. Sometimes I think you all don't think before saying that stuff or just don't realize what you are talking about. Who cares what the "terrorists want?" They ARE a real threat, we shouldn't not be cautious because we want to play some pride game in which we say, "We're not going to let them see us cautious." That's just asking for trouble.
So, instead of doing the smart thing and changing our foreign policy, which is what pisses other countries off in the first place, we crack down on our own citizens and strip people of their civil liberties in the name of "security." That's ridiculous. I value my freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration