Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of the Dream Act
Yes 20 19.80%
No 73 72.28%
Uncertain because I don't know all of the issues addressed by the act. 8 7.92%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times

Advertisements

Not surprising considering when it went through the Senate it was listed as the "Removal Clarification Act 2010" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Sure, they can attend a college for 2 years, but it has to be in a 4-year bachelors degree program... meaning, at least half of the credits required for a 4-year bachelors (or higher) degree. If they are taking random classes for two years that don't amount to half of the credits for a bachelors degree, it won't satisfy the requirement.
That's not all that hard to do. The first two years of most degree plans are basic courses and electives. And includes placement credits like CLEP and distance education (online courses).

And they have 6 to 10 years to get it done. (Some sites claim 6 but I remember reading 10). Either way, by the time comes that they would be judged as failing to satisfy the requirements, they will have entrenched themselves here in other ways. And the bill allows for extensions, don't tell me when Jose shows he has 48 of the 60 hours needed he is going to be denied an extension and kicked out.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
The US Government has said that isn't easy to do... 88,000 parents of US citizens have been deported over the past 10 years. A "DREAMie" isn't going to have an easier time obtaining legal status by having a child here. The hardship waiver in the DREAM Act is no different than what is currently available to any undocumented parent of a US Citizen.
88,000 out of an estimated population of 12 to 20 million and you cite that as evidence that it isn't easy for an illegal to remain here? Your own link (note it doesn't provide the link to the study it tells us about, there's that "don't read it yourself, we'll read it for you" attitude again) says most were for criminal convictions. And when it characterizes offenses as assault and drunken driving as "minor offenses" it tells me something of their agenda.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It doesn't say it has to be required for the degree, only 2 years at a university offering a degree program. Many people change their major once they get into the system. I did. And they are offered 10 years and extensions to accomplish this. Incidently, I don't see where it says how many credit hours per year. How about 3 credit hours per year for 2 years? Does that work? I don't see how else it could take 10 years to complete, do you? When you don't actually have to obtain a degree, yes, you can shop your courses.
Very astute observation. The bill measures college performance in the units of years but colleges do not measure progress in those units. Now one would assume that requiring two years of a four year degree means earning 50% of the minimum required credits but you know what happens to u and me when we assume.

Just one more example of vagueness in the bill.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
WOW, that's 8800 per year! Gosh, I wonder what they did!

You didn't hear about the thousands that were relaesed a few months ago without even facing a hearing. I guess it was pretty easy for them. They didn't have to prove ANY hardship other than not wanting to be deported!
I remember when that happened. Even defendants and their lawyers were shocked. Many had made final arrangements and said their goodbyes and showed up at their hearing prepared to be deported, only to be bewildered and ecstatic to hear one by one the prosecutor recommend the case be dismissed.

Which illustrates that all those so-called requirements in the Act mean nothing if they will not be enforced. We already have laws that set requirements for legal status that this administration simply chooses not to enforce. Will these same people choose to enforce the requirements in this Act?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again with the race card! Mexicans aren't the only illegals in this country and Mexican isn't a race.

If these illegals left it would be Americans taking those jobs and THEY in turn would be paying those same taxes. So your argument is moot.
We have a lot of Americans who won't take those low-paying jobs even if they were available. They are sitting back drawing unemployment now rather than do those low wage jobs.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not at all.
If someone entered your home without permission, decided to move in, made use of your assets, would you be ok with this?
What if the they then demanded that you also accept their family to move in?
What if while living with you they ate your food, used your phone, drove your car without permissin and made charges against your credit card? Still ok with this?
Ok so after a while they get a job and start paying a little towards your bills. You still don't mind having these strangers live with you?
Notice no mention of race because race is not important. Its the act that we are discussing.
So in your opinion do we as a nation have a right to select who we grant a VISA? Every other nation does, so do we have that right? If so why is it wrong for us to excercise that right?
And this analogy illustrates why the counter claim that "illegals contribute more to the economy than they cost" is irrelevant.

Nobody has the right to move into your home without your permission. It would not matter if they mowed the yard, cleaned the house, stocked the fridge, and paid more towards utilities than they use. They still have no right to move into your home without your permission. And if you exercise your right to have them removed, that does not make you a heartless immoral person.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Have we ever tried jailing the employers? I am not saying it would work - I just didn't know if we have ever tried that angle
We have and do. The problem though is that employers typically have the resources to put up a strong legal fight with appeals, making a conviction very time consuming and costly.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
We have a lot of Americans who won't take those low-paying jobs even if they were available. They are sitting back drawing unemployment now rather than do those low wage jobs.
Many times unemployment pays more than a low wage job. If you have a family to feed you take the most you can get in today's economy. Wait till all the extensions run out and you will see Americans wanting those jobs. Not that they will get them anyway where there are illegals working them for less. What about the fast food jobs and other entry level jobs that our youth need but can't get because the employers are hiring low waged illegal crews who only communicate in Spanish?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
Maybe if these citizens would get off the couch maybe then they can find decent jobs instead of being the trash guy that comes around every Friday.

Actually I have found illegals more enthusiastic and ready to work then most American citizens.
So you're saying giving them citizenship would be counterproductive? If being a US citizen makes one lazy, then there's no good reason to put illegals on that path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration