Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Mexican is a citizen of the country Mexico but also includes those whose language, cultural and political allegience is with that country.

Mexicans who love their country enough to actually live in it and work hard to make it better are not the ones that people sneer at. There is something rather obnoxious about people who refuse to assimilate, have zero respect for this nation and it's laws, march around with their own country's flag yet shriek like little girls over the thought of being returned to it. If they really love Mexico so much, they wouldn't be so horrified with the thought of living there.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
The problem is that the english language is hard for people who have english as a second language to understand . We have hundreds of words that are synonymous and can not be taken from context to understand their inferred meaning. Saying a person is a "mexican" does not always mean that the person IS an actual mexican but can mean the person has enough of the general understood characteristics for the intention of the statement to be understood in a specific conversation. People who speak spanish as their native language for the most part can not understand this.To many the word "mexican" can mean that the person is of obvious hispanic orgin and that is all. Our language does not require our speech to be technically correct and always exact in order to express our thoughts.
A new contender has emerged: Blame the Spanish-speaker for not understanding that Americans are lazy in their literary styles. No one realizes this better than I do. I've seen it for years.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
[quote=IBMMuseum;31226558]A new contender has emerged: Blame the Spanish-speaker for not understanding that Americans are lazy in their literary styles. No one realizes this better than I do. I've seen it for years.[/QU It is not about blame. It is about understanding our way of communicating. It is not an exact science . You used the word "lazy" but there are many other words that mean the same thing. You used it as a criticism. Our spanish speaking friends just don't have the ability to analyze our language and know this.Some of our language is heavily colloquial .Do you understand what I mean by this?. Perhaps you do, but the guy for Peru living in a certain section of North Carolina will not. This is my point.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexican is a citizen of the country Mexico but also includes those whose language, cultural and political allegience is with that country.

Mexicans who love their country enough to actually live in it and work hard to make it better are not the ones that people sneer at. There is something rather obnoxious about people who refuse to assimilate, have zero respect for this nation and it's laws, march around with their own country's flag yet shriek like little girls over the thought of being returned to it. If they really love Mexico so much, they wouldn't be so horrified with the thought of living there.
Agreed. A Mexican can be of any "Race". Not all are Indian mixes.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It is not about blame. It is about understanding our way of communicating. It is not an exact science . You used the word "lazy" but there are many other words that mean the same thing. You used it as a criticism. Our spanish speaking friends just don't have the ability to analyze our language and know this.Some of our language is heavily colloquial .Do you understand what I mean by this?. Perhaps you do, but the guy for Peru living in a certain section of North Carolina will not. This is my point.
So the "guy from Peru" doesn't understand that he isn't being constantly incorporated into the slurs from "malamute" about things like "Mexican" parents bringing drugs over the border?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True and they teach their children that American laws are to be disregarded. They themselves are bringing in the drugs, it would be hard to tell their children not to use them...
Sure, I realize that when "malamute" says "Mexicans", he is smearing a specific nationality, at least most of the time. Maybe that is the issue, that those that have English as a second language don't realize what he and others are actually saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. A Mexican can be of any "Race". Not all are Indian mixes.
But you've already identified that "ALL" those with a "Mexican" appearance "look shady" to you:

Quote:
I blame the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens and La Raza for that too. Their "you owe me" attitude makes ALL "Mexican" LOOKING people look shady.
Can't "unsay" that. There's a theme going on here. I guess at least a few people are willing to look the other way however.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

But you've already identified that "ALL" those with a "Mexican" appearance "look shady" to you:
Like I said: people who look "Mexican" like as in brown skin and straight hair; their rep has been messed up by illegal aliens from Mexico and Central America. Some darker skin anglo white people, Indians and even some light skin Black people have to deal with prejudice because of La Raza wanting amnesty for illegal aliens. OTOH: white Mexicans and so on; even if here illegally assuming they speak proper English, they have little to worry about because they'd blend in with us anglos.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I think folks on both sides of the debate have contributed to the problem. Some will defend Illegals from SOB no matter what laws have been violated. This certainly undermines their position.
Some on the other side are pretty heavy handed with their comments about people from Mexico. As all know I am no fan or supporter of illegals. I have also pointed out that the majority of illegals are in fact from Mexico.
That said I don't use phrases like Mexicans are drug smugglers, or Mexicans are whatever. Some are and many are not.
I seek control of the border between the USA and Mexico because that is where the majority of illegals enter our country. Not because I hate people from Mexico.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Like I said: people who look "Mexican" like as in brown skin and straight hair; their rep has been messed up by illegal aliens from Mexico and Central America. Some darker skin anglo white people, Indians and even some light skin Black people have to deal with prejudice because of La Raza wanting amnesty for illegal aliens. OTOH: white Mexicans and so on; even if here illegally assuming they speak proper English, they have little to worry about because they'd blend in with us anglos.
That's some "heavily colloquial" speaking or something, because I had an easier time understanding you when you said a "Mexican" appearance gave them a "shady look". Prejudice is prejudice, it's just not going into effect because some perceived "amnesty". You're backpedaling, let's discuss this image problem that is happening.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:29 PM

62,951 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think folks on both sides of the debate have contributed to the problem. Some will defend Illegals from SOB no matter what laws have been violated. This certainly undermines their position.
Some on the other side are pretty heavy handed with their comments about people from Mexico. As all know I am no fan or supporter of illegals. I have also pointed out that the majority of illegals are in fact from Mexico.
That said I don't use phrases like Mexicans are drug smugglers, or Mexicans are whatever. Some are and many are not.
I seek control of the border between the USA and Mexico because that is where the majority of illegals enter our country. Not because I hate people from Mexico.
You'll play hell trying to convince the pro-illegals of what you stated in your last sentence and in fact I am sure the race card would rear its ugly head. I know, I have never said that many or even most Mexicans are drug smugglers but the race card gets thrown at me anyway. Just advocating for diversity in our legal immigration numbers even though that would not exclude Mexicans throws some into a tizzy.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
That's some "heavily colloquial" speaking or something, because I had an easier time understanding you when you said a "Mexican" appearance gave them a "shady look". Prejudice is prejudice, it's just not going into effect because some perceived "amnesty". You're backpedaling, let's discuss this image problem that is happening.
Not "backpedaling" here; being more clear in what I was trying to say.

But that still doesn't change the fact that most ILLEGAL aliens ARE Mexican and MOST look a certain way. What La Raza needs to do is start turning against illegal aliens and help rat them out instead of helping those law breakers out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration