Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
There are 60% of illegal immigrants who file. So there is obviously data. I guess it's around $37,000 according to Pew for 2010. ITIN is the determining way. Now I wonder what the average family size is. If the 37,000 is for a family of 5, then that would mean a significant number of families closer to poverty. If it is like 3-4, then a lot of lower middle income families. So income paints only part of the picture.
Do they file under an illegal alien category? If not, how are their wages enumerated? How does the IRS identify them as being illegal aliens as opposed to being citizens or legal residents? To my knowledge, the IRS does not issue a special ITIN for illegal aliens. Furthermore, Pew is not the IRS.

Again, which government agency maintains wage data on illegal aliens, and how is the data formulated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
It goes back to calculating the total burden. So it actually matters if we were to determine costs v. benefits.
I've compared costs vs benefits by using all sorts of sources for it. The costs well outweight any so-called benefits and it isn't just about economics either. Bottom line and my argument is always the Rule of Law and it always will be. If we actually needed these people and they were actually an overall benefit to us we would includes them in our legal immigration quotas. Why do you think we have immigration quotas?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do they file under an illegal alien category? If not, how are their wages enumerated? How does the IRS identify them as being illegal aliens as opposed to being legal residents? To my knowledge, the IRS does not issue a special ITIN for illegal aliens. Furthermore, Pew is not the IRS.

Again, which government agency maintains wage data on illegal aliens, and how is the data formulated?
Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com

Clearly they use ITINs.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I’m not interested in a USA Today article. Show me data from the IRS which clearly delineates the income of illegal aliens.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I’m not interested in a USA Today article. Show me data from the IRS which clearly delineates the income of illegal aliens.
The data collected in the article was from the IRS.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Any "supposed "benefit" which comes from an illegal earning an income would be a "benefit" that an American or legal resident would provide by earning that income if said illegal wasn't already taking their place in the workforce. I fail to see the logic in the "illegals benefit this country" argument.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Any "supposed "benefit" which comes from an illegal earning an income would be a "benefit" that an American or legal resident would provide by earning that income if said illegal wasn't already taking their place in the workforce. I fail to see the logic in the "illegals benefit this country" argument.
Pretty much the assumption is that if every illegal were deported, then more jobs will open up...no economic negatives. That means that illegals contribute nothing into the economy and that businesses have the money to train people and loose productivity. That means that the LEGAL residents who work in such places will not feel the effects of increased labor costs due to training (not assuming wages will go up) as well as decreased in productivity.

These are all big assumptions.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
from the article

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't track a worker's immigration status

Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
from the article

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't track a worker's immigration status
ITINs were issued to those that don't have SSNs. Thus, from the article, they are MOST likely illegal immigrants.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The data collected in the article was from the IRS.
If the data is “from” the IRS, there should be a direct link to the IRS source. I have searched the IRS, and cannot locate an “illegal immigration” wage report. Please be so kind to share this valuable info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration