Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Yes, there are costs to citizens and benefits to illegals... that's the whole problem.
Really, that's what Harvard, USC, and Berkeley concluded? Didn't know that...

Obviously there are benefits to Americans as well.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How can any study have accurate anwers or conclusions when we have no clue what the actual number of illegals really is.
How do you do a cost analysis on the cost of a loved one killed by an illegal?
How do we determine the cost of someone trying to rebuild their life after ID theft?
A gov that has been less than zealous at enforcing immigration laws must also have their veracity questioned.
For example I don't trust a single thing the CBO says.
You're putting up emotional appeals that have nothing to do with anything. Bad things happen to people. However, so do good things. An illegal immigrant saved my mom. Does that mean all illegal immigrants are lifesavers? No. An illegal immigrant almost killed my dad. Does that mean all illegal immigrants are reckless drivers? No. Why put the sentence "how do you do a cost analysis on the cost of a loved one killed by an illegal". It's a blatant strawman.

Secondly, why not trust the CBO? Why not trust the institutions we put in place that have done a good job so far in other areas of public policy? It's really interesting that illegal immigration is one of the few aspects of public policy that facts and figures are met with sentences like "how do we determine the cost of someone trying to rebuild their life after ID theft"

Personally, it seems disrespectful to those that have died by illegal immigrants as well as to those illegal immigrants who simply live their lives. Advancing your point using those examples, to me, seems a little tasteless.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post

But do the benefits outweigh the costs? That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Somehow something with the word "illegal" attached to it doesn't conger up a net positive in my mind.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Still no link to back up your assertions that unemployment rates are higher for illegals than citizens? I've read all the mixed bag stats on the pro's and con's of illegal immigration. I have seen firsthand personally that the negative impacts outweigh the postives in just my own state and community. Doesn't matter anyway as the bottom line is that they are here illegally and that is all the argument one needs to make.

No, they won't take my job as I am retired but I do know many Americans both young and middle aged that have had their job situation negatively impacted by cheap, illegal labor.
Link? Nope. Umm... contact here for more information. Sociology Graduate Program | UCI Sociology

I like peer reviewed materials. Typically it's better. Everyone spews links. Not everyone takes the time to read a thesis or attend seminars. I used to hang out with a few postdocs.

We can even logically arrive there. Illegal immigrants are concentrated in the SW (with the nations highest unemployment rates). They are in industries that have seen severe loss (construction and lower level service sectors). They are mostly Hispanic (which have a higher unemployment rate than the average). They are less likely to have a college degree (thus making them even more likely to be unemployed). They are more likely to be unemployed than the average American.

Your argument of illegal is illegal means we shouldn't allow gay marriage. Because illegal is illegal and that is all the argument one needs to make.

Look all I'm saying is that it would be nice to less knee jerk reactions from both sides.

I'm tired of whining from La Voz and from the Tea Party members.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
But do the benefits outweigh the costs? That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Somehow something with the word "illegal" attached to it doesn't conger up a net positive in my mind.
That is the question. You're right. However, simply because something is illegal doesn't really mean that you've answered the question.

Prohibition laws, DADT, gay marriage bans, are all bad policies that had something legal and illegal attached. I guess what I'm saying is that the word illegal doesn't in of itself denote positives or negatives.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
That is the question. You're right. However, simply because something is illegal doesn't really mean that you've answered the question.

Prohibition laws, DADT, gay marriage bans, are all bad policies that had something legal and illegal attached. I guess what I'm saying is that the word illegal doesn't in of itself denote positives or negatives.
You are comparing apples to oranges here. We have a legal way of coming here so there is no prohibition on it other than making sure we can sustain a certain number of immigrants and that they come here legally.

Another point is that yes some laws may need changing but one doesn't break them beforehand just because they haven't been changed to suit them yet.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
You are comparing apples to oranges here. We have a legal way of coming here so there is no prohibition on it other than making sure we can sustain a certain number of immigrants and that they come here legally.

Another point is that yes some laws may need changing but one doesn't break them beforehand just because they haven't been changed to suit them yet.
No I'm not. I'm trying to demonstrate the flaw of thought process, which is the same thought process for those policies. Illegal=bad, x=illegal...therefore x=bad. That's the essential thought process. There is a flaw there. X may or may not be as bad, therefore should people frame this debate in such terms?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
No I'm not. I'm trying to demonstrate the flaw of thought process, which is the same thought process for those policies. Illegal=bad, x=illegal...therefore x=bad. That's the essential thought process. There is a flaw there. X may or may not be as bad, therefore should people frame this debate in such terms?
Our laws have determined what is illegal aka bad. Go cry to our government then and stop demonizing law abiding Americans for adhering to our laws in their present form.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:

If they're so obvious why don't you explain them to us. I'm talking about net benefits, not just individual benefits without taking into account the backside costs that many pro-illegal people tend to overlook.

If Jose' picks strawberries for $3.50 an hour instead of minimum wage and that means my strawberries are $1lb instead of $2lb like they would be if legal citizens picked them that could be seen as a benefit but in reality you have to consider that I'm also paying taxes which cover the cost of Jose's 6 children in school, their free lunch program, their ESL classes, their before and after school programs, the family WIC card, the increase to my uninsured motorist coverage because Jose' doesn't have car insurance and while the US gov. isn't aware of that Geico somehow is, the cost of ID theft that we all cover do to Jose' stealing my neighbor's SS#, etc etc etc. Let's not even talk about when Jose' gets drunk and kills someone on the way home from his "job" picking berries.

Now sure, not every illegal is taking advantage of the system like Jose' is but most are and very few are paying any income taxes even though the pro-illegal crowd claims they are. These people aren't stupid, they know the game and they know how to claim 99 dependents on that stolen SS#.

Now I love strawberries but I don't eat enough to come anywhere near close enough to make Jose' being here a benefit to me and if I knew that paying an extra $1lb would eliminate the "need" for Jose' to be here I'd do it freely in a heartbeat.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that the word illegal doesn't in of itself denote positives or negatives.
To most liberals you're right, that's the whole problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration