Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:26 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Amnesty is a reality. Face it. We're not going to deport 12 to 20 million illegals. Stop dreaming.
Just for what it is worth, you might find this interesting: the Department of Homeland Security released information that pretty much supported the fact that it would be cheaper to deport the estimated illegal immigrant population than to allow them to remain here. But, even I know that saving funds isn't always the priority of some of our agencies, so that report might not even men anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Just for what it is worth, you might find this interesting: the Department of Homeland Security released information that pretty much supported the fact that it would be cheaper to deport the estimated illegal immigrant population than to allow them to remain here. But, even I know that saving funds isn't always the priority of some of our agencies, so that report might not even men anything.
Source?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Source?
DHS confirms cheaper to deport every illegal alien than allowing them to stay - National Immigration reform | Examiner.com

This is presented by a writer at Examiner.com, but it is based off of a highly-publicized and well-known release by the DHS at the request of US Senators that gives an estimate of how much it would cost to deport the estimated illegal immigrant population. This reported cost was then weighed against the estimated and reported costs by the states and federal governments of how much money went towards illegal immigrants. Thus, resulting in the fact that it is indeed "cheaper" to deport illegal immigrants than to allow them to stay.

This release by the DHS has actually been a step in the right direction of addressing the myth that it would cost "too much" to deport the estimated illegal immigrant population and that letting them stay here would be more cost-efficient. It is a step in the right direction of coming to a decision on what to do when it comes to deporting illegal immigrants.

Our nation is more than capable of doing it.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The 14th Amendment was primarily to guarentee that descendents of those brought over as slaves were given citizenship. A lot of discussion about it, here is a good article that also covers people not given citizenship, why, and thoughts about the Amendment and it's desired outcome and not how it's being implemented.

Neal Ross -- Our Constitution and Our Borders

United States v. Wong Kim Ark (No. 18)

The evident intention, and the necessary effect, of the submission of this case to the decision of the court upon the facts agreed by the parties were to present for determination the single question stated at the beginning of this opinion, namely, whether a child born in the United States, of parent of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the Emperor of China, but have a permanent domicil and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States. For the reasons above stated, this court is of opinion that the question must be answered in the affirmative.

Order affirmed.

you are beating a dead horse...a long dead horse.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 PM

884 posts, read 716,438 times
If we could get the illegals labeled as "transients" we could have a shot.

California Government code 241 (for the illegals living here in Calif anyway.)

Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
DHS confirms cheaper to deport every illegal alien than allowing them to stay - National Immigration reform | Examiner.com

This is presented by a writer at Examiner.com, but it is based off of a highly-publicized and well-known release by the DHS at the request of US Senators that gives an estimate of how much it would cost to deport the estimated illegal immigrant population. This reported cost was then weighed against the estimated and reported costs by the states and federal governments of how much money went towards illegal immigrants. Thus, resulting in the fact that it is indeed "cheaper" to deport illegal immigrants than to allow them to stay.

This release by the DHS has actually been a step in the right direction of addressing the myth that it would cost "too much" to deport the estimated illegal immigrant population and that letting them stay here would be more cost-efficient. It is a step in the right direction of coming to a decision on what to do when it comes to deporting illegal immigrants.

Our nation is more than capable of doing it.
No source. Rather outrageous. Where is the DHS letter?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
No source. Rather outrageous. Where is the DHS letter?
On the internet, when someone asks for a source they are usually asking for a link and then they will read to see if it is legitimate. They don't get a link and then say, "Rather outrageous" and ask for a "DHS 'Letter'," but, no worries, coming right up.

I'm glad you think it is "rather outrageous." Would that be your way of saying, "This can't be correct because it doesn't support my wishes?"

Sometimes you can't even find a hard-copy on some reports. But, for you, I will attempt to find one. One of the first things I did when I read this article was go to the Department of Homeland Security website to look for it on the front page, just looking for a news headline, didn't see it. But, I will try to find something just so you won't think it is outrageous.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
I'd love to know what twisted reasoning decides a tourist is "subject to the jurisdiction" of the USA when they come here to drop their babies PURELY for the USC conferred on said baby.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 PM

OLECAPT:

Here is your source. http://www.scribd.com/doc/44620174/D...onse-Judiciary

It's an actual embedded PDF file of the letter from the Department of Homeland Security to the Senators.

Seems to me that the pressure is on these agencies to enforce the law and start thinking about massive deportation efforts.

It'd be "rather outrageous" if they didn't.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
On the internet, when someone asks for a source they are usually asking for a link and then they will read to see if it is legitimate. They don't get a link and then say, "Rather outrageous" and ask for a "DHS 'Letter'," but, no worries, coming right up.

I'm glad you think it is "rather outrageous." Would that be your way of saying, "This can't be correct because it doesn't support my wishes?"

Sometimes you can't even find a hard-copy on some reports. But, for you, I will attempt to find one. One of the first things I did when I read this article was go to the Department of Homeland Security website to look for it on the front page, just looking for a news headline, didn't see it. But, I will try to find something just so you won't think it is outrageous.
Garbage. Every so often you get one of these massive things...sometimes left but more often right wing...where an outrageous claim is made. Then you try and trace it back and you get into right wing sources quoting other right wing sources forever. Add search terms like AP or NYTimes or Washington Post and you get no hits.

So we got this massively interesting disclosure by DHS not covered by anyone except the way out right wing press.

I doubt it. But hell I would be fascinated if it did exist. Particularly the other things said and the conditions etc. But none of that in a second hand view..

So I have no idea whether I like the letter or not...Just want to see what it says...and I am vastly suspicious when that turns out to be hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration