U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 AM

12,793 posts, read 12,784,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Wait, what? The working class was by far the most affected group in this recession.
I didn't realize that professional jobs could not include the working class. Unless they were all working for McDonalds, a good portion of the middle, working class lost good-paying career jobs.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
None of that, "Oh, these people are just here for a better life," can make the real effects of illegal immigration go away. Nor can you and your explanation of how you see individuals instead of a group. The truth is that they ARE a group. People try to think on a case-by-case basis for illegal immigrants, but they ARE a group. Basically, they ADD up to a problem. The sum is greater than the parts type of thing.

I don't see it that way at all, of course. I see no logical reason to blame all of them for the criminal behavior of a small percentage. I'm not really sure how anyone can seriously justify that.

Also, I believe you are wrong about why people care about illegal immigration. You must have just started keeping up with the topic because people have been pissed about illegal immigration for decades now. The drug war just started gaining awareness about four or five years ago and even then it wasn't on the minds of those here in the United States like it is now. So, I think that you should know that you are incorrect about that.

Oh come on, the drug war has been going on a lot longer than that. Whether or not most people were aware of it is irrelevant. As far as how long I have been following this issue, I'd say about 10 years, when I had direct experience with it myself and realized what a joke our system is. And of course I saw poverty. Not the American kind of poverty where everyone is overweight from all the sh*t they get on food stamps and a government roof over their heads, but real poverty. The kind of poverty where people die in the street, where people lay down on broken glass for entertainment just to make a few cents, their backs bleeding and full of scars. Where people, including far too many kids, live in shanties with no water and human waste in the street. THAT is real poverty. And if you are any kind of human being, you feel something, and pretty soon the world looks a hell of a lot differently. But most Americans will never see that. I doubt 99.99% of the people on this forum have seen anything like that. And I hope no one has to. At the end of the day, though, ignorance is not an excuse.

You talk about Hispanics opening businesses. I don't know where you are from, but in my city Hispanic-owned businesses are frequented by Hispanics and then the small few who are curious about their stores. They don't really "help" the neighborhoods either. If there are any businesses here that help those who are not Hispanic, they are the lawn care businesses.

That doesn't really make sense. A business, no matter who patronizes it, still pays taxes and is still a part of the economic health of the area it's in. It does not not and cannot exist in a vacuum. There was just an article the other day in my city talking about how once blighted areas were experiencing rebirth largely because of immigrant businesses.

I seem like you joined the illegal immigration discussion very late because the issue has been going on for a LONG time. Long before the CNN coverage of the murders in Juarez or Acapulco.
Nope.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

Do you really believe they are using "bogus SSNs?" Also, yeah, they put taxes into SS, but who is to say that that isn't being negated by any government assistance they are receiving? Also, many illegal immigrants are getting tax returns. Either for themselves or with their children included for the Earned Income Tax Credit.

Check the links below for stories of "innocent Americans" who did have their identities stolen. These are just two examples of many:

The secret list of ID theft victims - Security

Man Told To Pay Taxes On $40K Earned By Illegal Immigrant - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
All you have proven is that some illegals are scum. Shocking. Point to any group and there are bound to be articles just like this. I'm also curious, since I see this brought up quite often and never see any actual numbers:

Just what percentage of illegals use government assistance, particularly off fraudulent documents?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 AM

2,423 posts, read 3,009,126 times
Not all illegals are Mexican. Scores and scores of latino illegals are now coming from Central America: Guatemala and especially El Salvador. When Illegal Central Americans get caught by the INS most say that they're Mexican so they can be dumped in Mexico. Mexico has a huge illegal immigrant problem as well. People from ALL over the world are in the Mexican border cities ready to come in: Chinese, Iranians, Iraqis, South Americans, Koreans, Portuguese, Spaniards, etc, etc. Mexico's southern border states are being over run by El Salvadorans and their notorious gang members. They have terrorized small townships in Chiapas and Oaxaca. These guys eventually make their way into the USA.

I blame the U.S. government for not enforcing the laws. Republican or Democrat... doesn't really matter: BOTH EQUALLY WORTHLESS.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 AM

2,423 posts, read 3,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yattigirl View Post
I am a culinary arts student and viewed this website because the amount of mexicans in Philadelphia is huge. This affects every culinary student because restaurants would rather hire a mexican in the kitchen, rather than a culinary studeny or grad!! I am not a mean or racist person but it doesn't seem fair that a group of mexicans can invade the industry that I plan to work in and take over am I wrong for feeling this way. I know it's the fault of the business owners.
Invade?? They didn't invade the industry. They were hired by management. I know a chef that graduated from culinary school that works in Riverside, CA. She said the top chefs in the world's resorts are Mexican. In Mexico men cook a lot and have a knack for cooking. They can learn any cooking technique/cuisine effortlessly. You are going against big time competition. I suggest you open your own restaurant and not hire them. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,317,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Invade?? They didn't invade the industry. They were hired by management. I know a chef that graduated from culinary school that works in Riverside, CA. She said the top chefs in the world's resorts are Mexican. In Mexico men cook a lot and have a knack for cooking. They can learn any cooking technique/cuisine effortlessly. You are going against big time competition. I suggest you open your own restaurant and not hire them. Good luck.
If i could, i know Riverside quite well, lived in Canyon Crest Hills years ago. What Restaurant does your friend work at, interested.

Not a whole lot of Classy Restaurants in Riverside, Market Broiler, P.J. CHANG, DON JOSES, RED LOBSTER, OLIVE GARDEN, MANY MORE, a few good French and Italain cusine. Which one does your friend work at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or