Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
You know I've noticed something when I watch those 'house flipping' and home improvement shows on tv. If you pay close attention, though they don't pan the camera in that direction, it would appear to me that many of the workers look as if they're illegal immigrants. It's not only large corporations who are hiring them, it's individuals who are making a profit on their labor. You might want to stay away from places where a lot of new construction or 'flipping' is taking place.

In rural upstate NY, closer to the Canadian border, I have only seem one or two who appeared to be illegal. They stand out in a 99% white city. Apparently there had been a dozen or so working one of the local farms but they were picked up right away and shipped off by the Border Patrol.
How in the hell can you tell the legal status of someone you see on tv? Simply because they're not white?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 PM

This forum is amazingly stupid. It's all about economics, people. Illegal immigration is already down significantly, not only because our own economy is a mess, but because economies where most of the illegals come from are improving. Meaning that, for the most part, it's always been about employment and some semblance of a better quality of life. Not to impregnate your women, commit crimes, or lower property values. And the whole moving thing to get away from them... really? Are people that afraid?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This forum is amazingly stupid. It's all about economics, people. Illegal immigration is already down significantly, not only because our own economy is a mess, but because economies where most of the illegals come from are improving. Meaning that, for the most part, it's always been about employment and some semblance of a better quality of life. Not to impregnate your women, commit crimes, or lower property values. And the whole moving thing to get away from them... really? Are people that afraid?
Well, wouldn't want you to have to continue posting in a "stupid" forum, now would we? Educate yourself on the true negatives of illegal immigration then get back with us. In the meantime, buh, bye.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
People know that. It doesn't matter why the government or corporations are allowing illegal immigration. What DOES matter is that the things you mentioned such as "lower property values" and committing crimes ARE happening (among many other negative effects). Just because those things weren't the results that were desired doesn't mean people shouldn't do what they can do to fight against massive illegal immigration.

So, basically, what you said is voided. Who cares about the motives when the actual results are what matters? Of course we care about the motives, but what's happening on the streets is what touches people more.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well, wouldn't want you to have to continue posting in a "stupid" forum, now would we? Educate yourself on the true negatives of illegal immigration then get back with us. In the meantime, buh, bye.
There are negatives to all types of immigration. Let's be honest, though, there is far more outrage of *who* is illegally immigrating than that illegal immigration occurs, at least on this forum. I mean, would people be making threads about running away from neighborhoods and cities if the illegal immigrants were English? No f*cking way.

I do think illegal immigration should be reduced as much as possible, but I am also a person of empathy and rationality, and having experienced extreme poverty and having lived in Mexico teaching English, I also have a different perspective than many Americans. Serious criminals should absolutely be sent packing, but I see no reason why we can't reform our policies to make it easier to get people registered into the system and paying taxes. I would support a fine system, a requirement to learn English, being able to pass a comprehensive civics test, and stay out of legal trouble for a certain length of time. Mass deportation would severely hurt our economy and is not a viable option. Nor are laws that are largely based on racism and hysterical stereotypes.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
People know that. It doesn't matter why the government or corporations are allowing illegal immigration. What DOES matter is that the things you mentioned such as "lower property values" and committing crimes ARE happening (among many other negative effects). Just because those things weren't the results that were desired doesn't mean people shouldn't do what they can do to fight against massive illegal immigration.

So, basically, what you said is voided. Who cares about the motives when the actual results are what matters? Of course we care about the motives, but what's happening on the streets is what touches people more.
In regards to the pro-illegals that claim we need to increase our quotas for legal immigration and give amnesty to millions of illegals, I was just watching the news and an economist (I believe, not sure) said that we need to create 200,000 new jobs just to keep up with our population growth.

Edit: 200,000 new jobs "per month".

Last edited by chicagonut; 08-04-2011 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

Except that I am able to see people individually. If an illegal immigrant (or ANYONE) commits a serious crime, I think we can all agree that they need to be held accountable. However, like every other group, the number of criminals is going to be relatively low to the overall population. I am not arrogant or self-righteous enough to blame all for the actions of a few. Anecdotal, but I have known many many Hispanics here, some legal, some not, and none of them were serious offenders beyond their legal status (most were just visa overstays). In fact, Hispanics in certain areas have actually helped turn neighborhoods around by starting multiple small businesses.

I think most of the negativity is related to the drug trade along the US-Mexico border. Obviously a very serious problem, but Americans themselves are the biggest consumers of illegal drugs anywhere, and we need to take responsibility for our part in that violence. The "War on Drugs" is a total failure by any reasonable account. This problem is not going to go away so long as we don't address our own issues.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 08-04-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
In regards to the pro-illegals that claim we need to increase our quotas for legal immigration and give amnesty to millions of illegals, I was just watching the news and an economist (I believe, not sure) said that we need to create 200,000 new jobs just to keep up with our population growth.
Most of the jobs lost in the latest recession were not menial, low-paying factory jobs or food-industry that most illegals are involved with. High-pay, professional jobs in government, education, etc are what is truly needed. Illegals don't really have anything to do with this, like it or not.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times
Quote:
Most of the jobs lost in the latest recession were not menial, low-paying factory jobs or food-industry that most illegals are involved with. High-pay, professional jobs in government, education, etc are what is truly needed. Illegals don't really have anything to do with this, like it or not.
Wait, what? The working class was by far the most affected group in this recession.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:

Edit: 200,000 new jobs "per month".
Good luck with those being created, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration