Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times

Advertisements

There are some Americans who'd be damned happy to have these custodial jobs......

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO - Federal immigration authorities have pressured one of San Francisco's major building service companies, ABM, into firing hundreds of its own workers. Some 475 janitors have been told that unless they can show legal immigration status, they will lose their jobs in the near future.
What makes you think custodial/janitorial jobs are the "lowest of the low" anyway........not according to this report

Quote:
"Homeland Security is going after employers that are union," Miranda charged. "They're going after employers that give benefits and are paying above the average."
Hundreds of union janitors fired under pressure from Feds » peoplesworld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 AM

134 posts, read 127,050 times
Go into any American classroom and ask the kids what do they want to be when they grow up? Keep a record of how many say "janitor". If they do, they are just joking and the whole class will laugh. Janitors do not get any respect in general. Not as much respect as a doctor or judge.

If someone has been a janitor all their lives chances are they were not doing much with their life anyway.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
Go into any American classroom and ask the kids what do they want to be when they grow up? Keep a record of how many say "janitor". If they do, they are just joking and the whole class will laugh. Janitors do not get any respect in general. Not as much respect as a doctor or judge.

If someone has been a janitor all their lives chances are they were not doing much with their life anyway.
So you're not comfortable judging someone who breaks into another country without permission and violates multiple laws in that country . . . but you are comfortable judging someone who earns an honest day's wages? What other jobs should we deem unimportant and let low skilled, non-English speaking illegal migrants steal?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter what people's aspirations are. There are many less educated Americans who have always done these jobs.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:

Oh please, you also want to keep a record of how many say "doctor", "lawyer", that will never even come close to meeting what's required? It's life, aspirations don't always marry up with what people have to work with.

I could just as easily say if someone ends up sitting behind a desk in an 8x8 cubicle shuffling paper all their lives they weren't doing much with their life either.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Hmm I don't see Americans wanting to do custodial services for the rest of their lives.

You don't see Americans that want to pick up your garbage for the rest of their lives either.
But that doesn't mean that Americans refuse to do the job .

Last edited by mkfarnam; 01-11-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:

Where did you read or hear that Custodial/Janitorial work was a career driven occupation?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM

134 posts, read 127,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So you're not comfortable judging someone who breaks into another country without permission and violates multiple laws in that country . . .
Where did I say this? I'll wait.

Quote:
but you are comfortable judging someone who earns an honest day's wages? What other jobs should we deem unimportant and let low skilled, non-English speaking illegal migrants steal?
"Steal"? What job did they steal from you exactly? I think the majority of Americans do not want to live paycheck by paycheck, don't you agree? Blame the greedy AMERICAN companies for hiring illegals who earn laughable low wages to "steal" your job. Not the illegals who come in to apply for them.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:

"Steal"? What job did they steal from you exactly? I think the majority of Americans do not want to live paycheck by paycheck, don't you agree? Blame the greedy AMERICAN companies for hiring illegals who earn laughable low wages to "steal" your job. Not the illegals who come in to apply for them.
They steal jobs from less educated, blue collar worker Americans and you know it.

So I guess you would be one who would only blame the bank robber but not their accomplice? They are equally guilty!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:

I do blame employers, as well as illegals. Employers could not exploit them if they were not here illegally. The door swings both ways. Do you also blame employers for illegals stealing IDs and committing other acts of theft and fraud?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration