U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 06:28 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,600 times

Advertisements

Heartwarming story of pro-illegal groups demanding that illegal immigrants not be deported. This just days after the gruesome murder of Zina Linnick. Shameful.

LINK: Michelle Malkin » Showdown in Waukegan: Open borders lobby protests program to deport criminal aliens

Showdown in Waukegan: Open borders lobby protests program to deport criminal aliens

By Michelle Malkin • July 16, 2007 11:34 AM

Thousands of pro-illegal immigration activists are expected to descend on Waukegan, Illinois today. Why? Because the City Council is voting on a measure that would allow the city to partner with the feds to deport criminal aliens. This is the 287(g) program I have been telling you about–the one that every state legislature and local government should be joining. The one the Bush administration should be aggressively promoting in the name of public safety and national security. The anti-enforcement lobby is fighting tooth and nail to prevent the program from spreading:

Waukegan authorities say they are preparing today for thousands of people expected to descend on the downtown area to protest the city’s proposed extension of immigration enforcement.
Waukegan Police Chief William Biang said his department is working with other local agencies to beef up enforcement for an announced rally that will coincide with the City Council’s vote to reconsider application for 287(g) authorization.

Though thousands are expected, only about 175 will fit in council chambers. Admission will be granted only to those who have tickets, which will be distributed at Waukegan’s south beach, beginning at 4 p.m.

The first 400 people will be given tickets, but only 174 are guaranteed admission.

If the council supports moving forward with 287(g), ultimately Waukegan police could obtain authority to begin deportation proceedings for illegal residents convicted of violent crimes.

That’s something that many in the Hispanic community say would go too far.
Yeah. God forbid we enforce existing laws and kick out violent illegal alien criminals!

Turns out the scheduled vote is a “revote.” The program was initially approved by a 7-2 vote last month:

At issue is a federal training program for local and state law-enforcement agencies that would allow officers to enforce immigration laws and initiate deportation proceedings.

What started out with a whisper — no members of any activist group were at the June 18 meeting when the Waukegan council voted 7-2 to authorize police to apply for the program — has turned into a roar.

Mayor Richard Hyde and other officials have said the program, referred to as 287(g) after a section of the federal Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, would allow officers to start deportation proceedings for immigrants — legal or illegal — convicted of crimes such as murder, rape and drug-related felonies. The goal is to oust criminals, not persecute immigrants obeying the law, Hyde said.
The open borders lobby is organizing boycotts of Waukegan. The Freedom Folks bloggers are there to cover the story, and have posted photos of businesses that are supporting the pro-illegal alien crowd. Unfortunately, the local Dunkin Donuts has chosen the wrong side.

Things are expected to heat up today around 4-5pm. If you’re in the area, stop by and support the city.

Sovereign Nation or Sanctuary Nation: It’s your choice and it’s in our hands.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Default Inexcusable

Regardless of one's stance on immigration, this one plainly goes "over the top"- and this isn't the first time it's come up. The surreal atmosphere that gave us "Special Order 40" is still at work. I pride myself on clear discussion and honest debate, but I simply cannot conceive of how anyone, no matter how "out there", could sit there with a straight face and object in any way to the swift deportation of violent felons. It just boggles the mind.
Perhaps "straight face" is the key word- indeed, I've never heard anyone defend this calmly or in a logical way, but with screaming, hysterical fury. When a person holds a position that is just indefensible, the only recourse against criticism is to repond with loud, disruptive, all-over-the-map nonsense. There's no way to defend this and still sound reasonable. Sad situation, and sadder still when we give these people our respectful attention as they "state their case"...

Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
Yes, this was on the news. supposedly about 4-5000 people showed up and it was broken up pretty peacefully I guess by the police.
And yes, it does make me sick when people defend the criminals. Their justification is that the 287(g) status will be abused and people will be profiled. I know there are other communities around here that are considering 287(g) status as well as waukegan.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,053,512 times
Liberal democrats know since they are the party of handouts that most illegal immigrants will vote for them. In fact they have rallied for ex-felons to be able to vote. They want them all, murderers, rapist, drug dealers, they will take them all.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,417,177 times
Honestly I'm not suprised. The illegal immigrant lobby is not known for their intelligence. They are hell bent on turning our country into the cesspools from whence they came.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Honestly I'm not suprised. The illegal immigrant lobby is not known for their intelligence. They are hell bent on turning our country into the cesspools from whence they came.
Case in point: Geraldo Rivera

If you've never seen him talk about illegal immigration, I highly recommend when you do it's on an empty stomach. I'll never forget him saying that because we are deporting illegal aliens we are ripping babies from their mothers teat, I didn't make that up either. Yes, yayoi they are not known for their intelligence.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:59 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
I believe that the march did not work and waukegan still voted to implement the 287g status (8-2).

Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,128 times
pro illegal groups are making plenty of money off illegals, but total fools in their border views given the outcome.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
Perhaps one reason illegal alien support groups strive so hard to prevent criminal deportations is that if we don't deport the felons then all the rest get to stay by default.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Perhaps one reason illegal alien support groups strive so hard to prevent criminal deportations is that if we don't deport the felons then all the rest get to stay by default.
Good point, never thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or