U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times

Advertisements

But just try using this as an excuse if you're a USC or legal resident..........

I thought driving without a license WAS a crime?

Quote:
But the police department quietly changed its policy in November, and now motorists whose immigration status prevents them from obtaining a license are allowed to sign a waiver and leave their car parked nearby, or call a friend or family member to immediately come pick it up.
[quote]
"The law is the law, but we can apply it with some sensitivity," De La Fuente added. "The intent of these actions is definitely to get criminals, not people who are just trying to work and feed their family."[/quote]

So if I'm ever stopped for some law I've failed to adhere to, can I use this excuse, and ask them to apply said law "with sensiteeeeeeeeeeevity"?

Oakland's undocumented drivers can keep their cars; avoid thousands in impound fees - Inside Bay Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,281,869 times
Maybe they just don't have the space or manpower to tow a thousand vehicles a day.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Maybe they just don't have the space or manpower to tow a thousand vehicles a day.
It helps if you actually READ the article (just sayin')

THAT certainly wasn't the issue...........

Quote:
Ismael Santoyo, of Ismy's Towing in East Oakland, said the new policy, combined with other changes such as fewer checkpoints being run by the Police Department, fewer sideshows, and allowing drivers whose cars were booted for nonpayment of parking tickets more time to pay before a tow is called, have nearly put him out of business. The undocumented tows and impound fees represented about 50 to 60 percent of his business, he said.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,386,453 times
So if you're an American citizen and you drive without a license or insurance . . . you can get in sorts of trouble. But if you're a law breaking illegal migrant twit you can do all of that and you won't get into trouble.

Why does tiny vocal group of foreigners get to have a say in how our country is run?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM

9,958 posts, read 7,316,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So if you're an American citizen and you drive without a license or insurance . . . you can get in sorts of trouble. But if you're a law breaking illegal migrant twit you can do all of that and you won't get into trouble.

Why does tiny vocal group of foreigners get to have a say in how our country is run?
We only wish it were a tiny group, there are millions of illegals in this country.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
That's it. We should all quit buying insurance and stop renewing DLs. Think how much money we can save.

I'm just trying to feed my family too dam*it.

We feel bad because this business is our life, but people drive without a license because they have to work, they have families and they have to drive," he said.

NO THEY DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE. Take the freakin bus dummies. I hope whoever passed this gets T-boned by an uninsured illegal.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-25-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
That IS pretty messed up and it is becoming more and more obvious that illegal immigrants are under a separate type of rules and laws here in the U.S. across the various states. I think it's pretty wack and unfair. It's kinda frustrating and sad too. No one asked them or forced them to come here, so why is there so much adjusting done for them? They crack the whip on us (legal residents and citizens), but because of the fact that they are illegal immigrants, they get a pass on a lot. Once again, no one asked them to come here. Those of us legally here get NO compassion from the justice system.

I'm wondering what would happen if someone would sue these states for basically discriminating against legal residents. The special consideration for illegal immigrants really has to stop, it is very disrespectful and a smack in the face to legal residents.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

That pretty much sums it up. I'm sure that it doesn't happen like that everything, but I have the feeling that it happens more than not. I feel that law enforcement often doesn't want to "deal with illegal immigrants" because of all that is involved in that, so they "let them go" or give special consideration. That is the worst thing that anyone could do because it doesn't help the situation of illegal immigration in the United States. It allows the illegal immigrant to stay here, establish themselves further and dig a deeper base here and possibly have children here which further connects them with the country. It's all very basic to me. Illegal immigration is so complex, but it has a lot of BASIC human elements to it, such as migrating, social interaction (an illegal immigrant meets someone here, has a child), issues with communicating, and a desire for a person to call a place a home. Those things are very human and the illegal immigrant is no different, so when they act out those needs, the country, the tax-payer and other elements of our country will pay the cost or feel the effects of it.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,386,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
That IS pretty messed up and it is becoming more and more obvious that illegal immigrants are under a separate type of rules and laws here in the U.S. across the various states. I think it's pretty wack and unfair. It's kinda frustrating and sad too. No one asked them or forced them to come here, so why is there so much adjusting done for them? They crack the whip on us (legal residents and citizens), but because of the fact that they are illegal immigrants, they get a pass on a lot. Once again, no one asked them to come here. Those of us legally here get NO compassion from the justice system.

I'm wondering what would happen if someone would sue these states for basically discriminating against legal residents. The special consideration for illegal immigrants really has to stop, it is very disrespectful and a smack in the face to legal residents.
There should be a lawsuit. You can't have one law for illegal migrants and another for legal citizens. Why should American citizens have to pay car insurance when illegals are told not to? If the police would prosecute an American citizen they have no legal standing to let an illegal migrant go unpunished. Ultimately that yet again illustrates the fundamental problem with illegal migrants: complete contempt for rational laws.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
There's plenty of desert land out there.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or