U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: galaxy far far away
3,111 posts, read 4,398,035 times
Reputation: 7185

Advertisements

Bottom line: he looooooves to Read a well-written speech. And he looooooves the applause. Does he hear the speech he has read? Probably not. He didn't write it. It didn't come from his heart. He doesn't see the contradiction because he isn't listening to the speech he is reading. He is listening to the audience response. His speech is a lie. Why are people giving him higher ratings. Or are those polls a lie, too?

And... if he is telling the truth about his wanting to work with Republicans and the states... then why is he still
suing the State of Arizona? And why has he allowed - invited even ELEVEN foreign countries (http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-sacramento/obama-is-encouraging-foreign-countries-to-sue-arizona - broken link)to join in the lawsuit against the state of Arizona? The mind boggles... The law professor in the video points out that Arizona's law quotes Federal law about immigration. The law that Obama references in his State of the Union address. Immigration that Obama references in this state of the union address. it's all hot air. I just don't get his popularity. People think in soundbytes and then go back to their debt and underwater homes, I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2011, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,029,987 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
So, if you click the link, you will see the transcript of the entire State of the Union, but the parts in bold stand out to me the most. The same thing keeps happening with how politicians, including The President, speak publicly about illegal immigration. They say things that have not been proven to be a fact or that are generalizations. They say them in hopes to butter up the American people into thinking we need illegal immigrants.

The first thing is the concept the President presented about how illegal immigrants "pledge allegiance to our flag." First of all, the concept of pledging allegiance to the U.S. flag has seen a decrease in its presence over time even amongst young students who are U.S. Citizens. Secondly, there are many, if not the majority of illegal immigrants who do NOT pledge allegiance to the United States. A survey conducted about two years ago showed that the majority of residents in this country, legal and illegal and of Mexican descent (the largest group of illegal immigrants) pledge allegiance to their native country, not the U.S.

So, how is it that the President can say that they pledge allegiance to our country when in fact the majority of those who would benefit from some immigration reform would be Mexicans who pledge allegiance to Mexico? To me, it is very basic and simple, common sense, illegal immigrants in the majority are NOT pledging allegiance to the United States. When they are pledging allegiance to the United States, it is only when they are rallying or pleading for amnesty or immigration reform.

The second thing that I bolded is the comment about how we send people back to their native country after they acquire an advanced degree. First of all, it is the opportunity of that legal foreign student to apply for an extended stay and if they can't do so, they are able to reapply later. Basically, if a legal foreign student really wanted to stay in this country and work, they have the opportunity to make it happen. Secondly, just who is sending them home? Is the President talking about illegal immigrant students? Well, I don't see him sending them home. One other thing I want to add is how he claims that "we send them back home to compete with us." Well, Mr. President, what do you say to American companies that are sending jobs to places like India and China?

The third thing bolded is the President's use of the term "illegal immigration." Seeing him, The President, use this term, is it safe to say that all journalists and other politicians now have the continued go ahead to use that term as well? These groups have been calling for the end of that term, even Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor had asked for the government to stop using the term. Well, it appears that The President didn't get the memo. So, it's obvious to see that the term "illegal immigrant" and "illegal immigration" is a term that even our President can't deviate from because it is a legit term.

I bolded the "Applause" because I wonder just who is applauding. Are the people applauding only the ones who voted for things such as The Dream Act? Are they people who are also clueless about what illegal immigration is really about? Who could applaud for those things? The applause was also very weak and it seemed that people were only applauding on cue for that one. So, I feel that many in that room were still uncertain about how they feel on this issue.

The last quote to be bolded is about what President Obama sees in the future for the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrant students. I wonder if he ever thought about the fact that most of those students will not become researches, doctors, lawyers. In fact, even if they did become those things, aren't there legal students here that could and would do the same? What makes an illegal immigrant student so much more of a prized worker than the legal U.S. resident? Won't some of these people that the President grants amnesty just for completing two years of military service or higher education end up in poverty? Isn't it just a cold fact that all of those people will not give more to the treasury than they are taking out? So, then, why are these politicians so stuck on this point of how they somehow all will grow up and be great scientists that will contribute to our country? Once again, don't we have our own hundreds of thousand that are working to do that?

The President is someone that I respect, a lot. But, he is slipping on this topic of illegal immigration (there are other things as well, lol). Everything he says about it is without facts, it is his opinion and he is asking Congressmen and Americans to vote in favor of illegal immigration based off of dreams and hopes for them. Also, The President's speech begin to contradict itself when he talked about illegal immigration. What he does is say all of these beautiful things about America taken care of America and how we are a great nation with opportunities, but then he does this talk about giving to illegal immigrants: the same illegal immigrants that pledge allegiance to Mexico and have strong ties to Mexico or whatever country they are from. How can he go from such a patriotic Pro-U.S. talk that seems to be emphasizing a better life for Americans to talk about giving, giving and more giving to illegal immigrants from countries that care less about them?

Lastly, he speaks to the audience earlier in the speech about education and how young people should choose their careers wisely. Well, what is the point of all of that when you as a young person or just a person in a career knows that our country is giving illegal immigrants the opportunity to compete with you, to essentially make it harder for you to receive quality education and then to take on a career?

Does the President really think about these things before he says them?
Great Post !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Great Post !
Only calling it like I see it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
It seems Obama has found a way around the illegal part. Call them refugees instead.

Asylum is not being given for political reasons any longer, it's being given for those involved with cartels who fear retribution and for those who are afraid of street crime but for the obvious reasons don't wish to relocate to safer parts of Mexico. Those obvious reasons of course being that safer parts of Mexico aren't going to give them the big government handouts.

Éxodo de unos 230 mil por ‘incapacidad de autoridades para proteger a la población’ | Local | Diario.com.mx

230,000 have recently fled Ciudad Juarez - over half of them to none other than the USA as "refugees". These refugees immediately qualify for refugee handouts. What a sweet deal.

ha habido un éxodo de al menos 230 mil personas, de las cuales más de la mitad se refugiaron en el vecino país.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,029,987 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Only calling it like I see it. LOL

And I agree with you too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol this is a regurgitated speech he said before that why should we deport the potential Einsteins among us? Yeah right Sorry for him but the vast majority of these anchors will grow up to be poor. Poverty breeds poverty for the most part. In Joe Wilson's words, you lie!
why not cite any credible study that shows that American children of illegal immigrants will "grow-up" to be poor. Or are you just using your astute powers of conjecture to come to that conclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,022,377 times
Reputation: 18436
If Obama steps up efforts to stop illegal immigration, Pubs would argue that he didn't act soon enough or that he didn't do enough. If he delays acting on it because he has more pressing needs, like keeping this country from falling into the Bush-induced Depression, he is criticized for not delivering on a campaign promise. All the problems of this country, man made significantly WORSE under Bush over 8 years, cannot be resolved at the same time within a few years. But the most enlightened among us know this.

The Pub narrative stinks. Bush said during his campaign that he wasn't into "nation-building." Well he dropped a trillion dollars to do just that and you Pubs still reelected him. Absurd.

Kudos to Obama. He will address this problem in time and do more to resolve it than any Republican president ever did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
If Obama steps up efforts to stop illegal immigration, Pubs would argue that he didn't act soon enough or that he didn't do enough. If he delays acting on it because he has more pressing needs, like keeping this country from falling into the Bush-induced Depression, he is criticized for not delivering on a campaign promise. All the problems of this country, man made significantly WORSE under Bush over 8 years, cannot be resolved at the same time within a few years. But the most enlightened among us know this.

The Pub narrative stinks. Bush said during his campaign that he wasn't into "nation-building." Well he dropped a trillion dollars to do just that and you Pubs still reelected him. Absurd.

Kudos to Obama. He will address this problem in time and do more to resolve it than any Republican president ever did.
Wanting our borders secured, enforcement of our immigration laws is not just a Republican ideal. It should be the ideals of every American and has nothing to do with what party or president you supported. I blame the past few administrations for the illegal immigration mess that we are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
why not cite any credible study that shows that American children of illegal immigrants will "grow-up" to be poor. Or are you just using your astute powers of conjecture to come to that conclusion?
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Growing numbers of children of illegal immigrants are being born in the United States, and they are nearly twice as likely to live in poverty than those with American-born parents, a report says.

The study released Tuesday by the Pew Hispanic Center highlights a growing dilemma in the immigration debate: Illegal immigrants' children born in the U.S. are American citizens, yet they struggle in poverty and uncertainty along with parents who fear deportation, toil largely in low-wage jobs and face layoffs in an ailing economy.

One-third of the children of illegal immigrants live in poverty, nearly double the rate for children of U.S.-born parents.
Illegal immigrants having more kids in U.S. - U.S. news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 06:18 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
If Obama steps up efforts to stop illegal immigration, Pubs would argue that he didn't act soon enough or that he didn't do enough. If he delays acting on it because he has more pressing needs, like keeping this country from falling into the Bush-induced Depression, he is criticized for not delivering on a campaign promise. All the problems of this country, man made significantly WORSE under Bush over 8 years, cannot be resolved at the same time within a few years. But the most enlightened among us know this.

The Pub narrative stinks. Bush said during his campaign that he wasn't into "nation-building." Well he dropped a trillion dollars to do just that and you Pubs still reelected him. Absurd.

Kudos to Obama. He will address this problem in time and do more to resolve it than any Republican president ever did.
Aren't you the same one who called Mexico a nation of savages on some other thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top