U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times

Advertisements

You just can't make this stuff up........

Quote:
it's a nasty turn of phrase that simultaneously dehumanizes a child and impugns the integrity of the parents

Dropping "Anchor Baby" | Media Matters for America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
People with integrity do not intentionally violate sovereign law simply because it suits them to do so.....

Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,179,786 times
Wahh! I'm insulted because I did this and I got branded for it.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,320 times
Ah yes, the integrity of the parents. I think crossing the border illegally impugns their integrity a tad.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,120,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You just can't make this stuff up........

Dropping "Anchor Baby" | Media Matters for America
The parents should have known the landscape they were voluntarily, against USA law illegally migrating to, and bringing their children into.

I have zero sympathy.

Quote:
For demagogues, "anchor babies" are a very serious issue -- one California anti-immigration activist told (http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http%3A%2F%2Farticles.latimes.com%2F2009%2Fj ul%2F13%2Flocal%2Fme-illegal-immigration13 - broken link) the Los Angeles Times in 2009: "It's invasion by birth canal."
That says A MOUTHFUL!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 AM

472 posts, read 627,812 times
The term "anchor baby" is intended to impugn the integrity of the ILLEGAL ALIEN parents.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 AM

254 posts, read 520,524 times
I don't see anything positive coming out of this term... it directs the attention of a society searching for a culprit for the economic conditions to a person that has not done anything wrong other than being born in a land where he is hated by default.

It seems like if crossing the border has become a horrible crime comparable to murder. I see more hatred in comments directed to illegal immigrants and their children that to rapists and murderers.

It impugns the integrity of the child. The parents already have more than enough derogatory terms. The term was coined to seek supporters to change the 14 amendment, so it is negatively charged against the child.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Quote:
A Pew Hispanic Center report released yesterday found that of all the undocumented immigrants who became parents between March 2009 and March 2010, 91 percent arrived in the U.S. before 2007. Put simply, those immigrants came here for reasons other than quickie-citizenship for their offspring. As The American Prospect's Adam Serwer wrote: "The data suggests a really shocking conclusion:
Quote:
People come to the U.S. to get jobs, not to have babies."

If 2 illegal parents come to the US "illegally" and pump out a brat, it's an "anchor baby".
Why they came here isn't the point. The point is, both parents came here illegally and hatched a kid on US soil. end of story

This guy is trying to feed the public a new definition for "anchor baby"

How about "exploitable brat"

Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
I don't see anything positive coming out of this term... it directs the attention of a society searching for a culprit for the economic conditions to a person that has not done anything wrong other than being born in a land where he is hated by default.

It seems like if crossing the border has become a horrible crime comparable to murder. I see more hatred in comments directed to illegal immigrants and their children that to rapists and murderers.

It impugns the integrity of the child. The parents already have more than enough derogatory terms. The term was coined to seek supporters to change the 14 amendment, so it is negatively charged against the child.
It is a term that describes what is taking place very very well is all. The pregnant illegal makes it over the border to give birth here at taxpayer expense of course and then uses that baby and it's citizenship to insist on the right to stay on forever usually on food stamps and WIC, housing assistance, and begin the family chain migration.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post

Time to take away birthright for anchors. No more problem. I have NO hassle with hurting the rep of illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration