U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,182,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'm not pro-illegal immigration, but I am against the demonization of people just seeking a better life. To tackle the problem I believe in a low-key approach: going after the people who employ someone who isn't permitted to work in this country, increased border patrols, checking citizenship/immigration status when a person is arrested, etc. I'm against ideas like having some type of massive Gestapo style crackdown. That's not what America is about imo.
Sorry but if the federal government refuses to enforce its immigration laws, then states MUST take action. It is THEIR territory that is being affected, not the federal government's If the feds love the illegals so much, they ought to move them all to Washington, DC

Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Quote:
I'm not pro-illegal immigration, but I am against the demonization of people just seeking a better life. To tackle the problem I believe in a low-key approach: going after the people who employ someone who isn't permitted to work in this country, increased border patrols, checking citizenship/immigration status when a person is arrested, etc. I'm against ideas like having some type of massive Gestapo style crackdown. That's not what America is about imo.
Why shouldn't we demonize lawbreakers that are seeking a better life at the expense of U.S. citizens? You don't violate a country's immigration laws, lie, steal I.D.'s and American jobs to better YOUR life.

Yes, going after the employers and securing our borders better are parts of the solutions. However, we need to continue with internal enforcement and take away any incentives for illegals to come here also.

There is not massive Gestapo style crackdown being done now or any plans for it in the future. You forget that America is based on the rule of law and for us to remain so seeking out lawbreakers is necessary.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The point is that there were laws here before the Europeans. It's pompous, ignorant, and erroneous to believe there were no laws before the Europeans.

I AM Indian, so I have no reason to romanticize history. I live it. Romanticizing the Native American is not an NDN thing.

I definitely don't hate Whites. If I did then I'd have to hate 1/2 of myself. I do like truth in history and will call someone out when they twist it for their own benefit.
The individual tribes may have had laws governing their own tribes but there were no nationwide immigration laws.

No one is twisting truth and history but yourself. Besides all those people are dead now but do feel free to keep howling at the moon hundreds of years later.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Outright bull. It's just the way some people justify theft.
No one is justifying anything about the past but you. You think what happened long ago and by people long dead now justifies your grudges against white Americans alive today who played no role in the past.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM

163 posts, read 203,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Especially when a certain segment of pro illegal (so sorry "immigrants rights") activist groups spout so much ethnocentric rhetoric - all for "the race" or "hispanics/"latinos", then pillory the anti illegals with "you just hate brown people" lol

Here's a hint for them. If you don't want your group targeted then stop bringing attention to the fact that over 70% of those here illegally are a certain ethnic group.
The bolded part above needs to be repeated. That is the problem...the majority of those here illegally are hispanic and that's a fact. So of course it's going to LOOK like "brown people" are being targeted when going after illegals. As someone had posted way back..."if you want to go fishing for bass, where do you go? To the lake that is full of bass or the lake without?" If you want to go after illegals you do need to look at hispanic communities...it's called reality. And when a group of people keep calling attention to themselves they shouldn't moan and cry when they get that attention.

We all have a heritage but it shouldn't define who we are...We are Americans first and foremost. I am an American above all else with Irish and German ancestry (I DO NOT identify as Irish-American or German-American but simply AMERICAN) and that means my loyalty is with Americans, not Irish or Germans. We need to drop the hyphens and get back to being a melting pot and not a salad bar.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,829,832 times
Quote:
Seeking a better life by having children they can not afford?

The truth is that Mexico has a growing middle class, it has free public schools and a very good university system.

In order to be middle class in Mexico, one must stay in school, delay the start of a family until after the education, a job, marriage. Many Mexicans are seeking a better life - in Mexico - by staying in school, working hard.

The illegals seek a materialistic life where they are given food stamps, free housing, free health care, and welfare checks by having babies here that they cannot afford.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,182,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Seeking a better life by having children they can not afford?

The truth is that Mexico has a growing middle class, it has free public schools and a very good university system.

In order to be middle class in Mexico, one must stay in school, delay the start of a family until after the education, a job, marriage. Many Mexicans are seeking a better life - in Mexico - by staying in school, working hard.

The illegals seek a materialistic life where they are given food stamps, free housing, free health care, and welfare checks by having babies here that they cannot afford.
It's true. Most of the Mexicans coming on over here are of indigenous extraction that didn't complete school and are from the poor rural areas. So they come here to send money back to their families so they can live the middle class life without having to do much, except steal American jobs

Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,901,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman91 View Post
All right, sorry about that. I can see why your frustrated, but the whole illegal immigration debate thing is just so complex. I don't which side is better for the country because the debate is controlled by idiots!

Sorry I yelled at you.
Nothing complex at all. Just enforce the law...See how easy that would be..No you probably don't see it!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
The bolded part above needs to be repeated. That is the problem...the majority of those here illegally are hispanic and that's a fact. So of course it's going to LOOK like "brown people" are being targeted when going after illegals. As someone had posted way back..."if you want to go fishing for bass, where do you go? To the lake that is full of bass or the lake without?" If you want to go after illegals you do need to look at hispanic communities...it's called reality. And when a group of people keep calling attention to themselves they shouldn't moan and cry when they get that attention.

Quote:
We all have a heritage but it shouldn't define who we are...We are Americans first and foremost. I am an American above all else with Irish and German ancestry (I DO NOT identify as Irish-American or German-American but simply AMERICAN) and that means my loyalty is with Americans, not Irish or Germans. We need to drop the hyphens and get back to being a melting pot and not a salad bar.
Likewise

Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post

Right on, on all points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or