U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
In my opinion, supporting PEARCE is just as bad as following the Aztlan movement. They are both extremists. PEARCE is all about "divide and conquer" and his SB1070 is just another segregation or Jim Crow law.

It has forced many legal Latinos who live in Arizona to move to towns that are "low key". My family is one of them. They will not go to Phoenix unless they really need to so they are not harassed.

Of course many of those that are in support don't think about how it affects Latinos...as long as it does not affect them.

I'm so glad Ready has turned against Pearce.
I don't support individuals per se. I just support common sense laws and it doesn't matter who wrote them. How is sb1070 a "divide and conquer" law? The law is about illegal aliens not citizens. I think most of us would like to be segretated from those who are not in this country legally. Is that some kind of surprise or a racist attitude to hold? I don't think so!

Legal Latinos are not being harrassed in Phoenix or anywhere else. That is just pro-illegal, ethnocentric propaganda and you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
It has everything to do with illegal immigration. This guy is responsible for writing the AZ immigration law.
Racists and bigots can be found in every government agency and corporation in this country, and politicians are no exception. They are even at the helm of some “reputable” organizations that purport to be “civil rights” advocates; and only differ in their agendas, tactics (covert vs. overt racism), and public persona.

Frankly, I wouldn’t care if Russell Pearce is a devil worshipper. His personal life and stance toward ANYTHING does not negate the legitimacy of the bill, or the abysmal failure of the federal government to enforce our immigration laws, which is the crux of the problem.

To imply that SB 1070 should be considered racist simply because Russell Pearce may or may not be a racist, would be tantamount to considering the Constitution racist due to the bigotry so prevalent among some of its drafters. After all, a black person was considered to be 3/5 human for specific purposes prior to the 13th Amendment. Yet, the Constitution is still considered “the law of the land.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Racists and bigots can be found in every government agency and corporation in this country, and politicians are no exception. They are even at the helm of some “reputable” organizations that purport to be “civil rights” advocates; and only differ in their agendas, tactics (covert vs. overt racism), and public persona.

Frankly, I wouldn’t care if Russell Pearce is a devil worshipper. His personal life and stance toward ANYTHING does not negate the legitimacy of the bill, or the abysmal failure of the federal government to enforce our immigration laws, which is the crux of the problem.

To imply that SB 1070 should be considered racist simply because Russell Pearce may or may not be a racist, would be tantamount to considering the Constitution racist due to the bigotry so prevalent among some of its drafters. After all, a black person was considered to be 3/5 human for specific purposes prior to the 13th Amendment. Yet, the Constitution is still considered “the law of the land.”
Excellent points, Benicar. Welcome back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Excellent points, Benicar. Welcome back!
Ditto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Excellent points, Benicar. Welcome back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Ditto
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Racists and bigots can be found in every government agency and corporation in this country, and politicians are no exception. They are even at the helm of some “reputable” organizations that purport to be “civil rights” advocates; and only differ in their agendas, tactics (covert vs. overt racism), and public persona.

Frankly, I wouldn’t care if Russell Pearce is a devil worshipper. His personal life and stance toward ANYTHING does not negate the legitimacy of the bill, or the abysmal failure of the federal government to enforce our immigration laws, which is the crux of the problem.

To imply that SB 1070 should be considered racist simply because Russell Pearce may or may not be a racist, would be tantamount to considering the Constitution racist due to the bigotry so prevalent among some of its drafters. After all, a black person was considered to be 3/5 human for specific purposes prior to the 13th Amendment. Yet, the Constitution is still considered “the law of the land.”
She shoots!
She scores!

Welcome back lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
She shoots!
She scores!

Welcome back lady.
Thanks! It’s good to be back. . . I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Racists and bigots can be found in every government agency and corporation in this country, and politicians are no exception. They are even at the helm of some “reputable” organizations that purport to be “civil rights” advocates; and only differ in their agendas, tactics (covert vs. overt racism), and public persona.

Frankly, I wouldn’t care if Russell Pearce is a devil worshipper. His personal life and stance toward ANYTHING does not negate the legitimacy of the bill, or the abysmal failure of the federal government to enforce our immigration laws, which is the crux of the problem.

To imply that SB 1070 should be considered racist simply because Russell Pearce may or may not be a racist, would be tantamount to considering the Constitution racist due to the bigotry so prevalent among some of its drafters. After all, a black person was considered to be 3/5 human for specific purposes prior to the 13th Amendment. Yet, the Constitution is still considered “the law of the land.”
Yeppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 03:37 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Maybe you should thank all your Illegal Brethren that has FORCED Americans to move these issues to the forefront???

Has it occurred to you that the never ending invasion from South of the Border casts hard working Americans of Latino Heritage in a bad light and it has directly affected the Publics perception???

No YOU haven't given it much thought because like a lot of Mexican Americans in the Southwest I'm assuming they are 1 or 2 generations removed from Illegal Aliens and/or they have Illegal Aliens as immediate family and friends.

That IS the reason why these laws have come to pass, it is because of the support a LARGE segment of the Latino community's VERY vocal support for Illegal Aliens and the disintergration of US Sovereignity,Security and Laws caused by Illegal Immigration.

So when YOU question "WHY Latinos have moved and WHY they have to be low keyed" many in your ethnic group only have to look in the mirror for the answer.
Well, I invite you to look in the mirror with me because we Americans allowed this problem to become so huge that it is now out of our control...out of our government's control. Therefore, since it is ALL of our fault, why should LATINOS of dark skin be harassed? Why not target the main source and the root of the problem? Why do they want to make a SuBliminal law in order to target specifically Latinos? Why would you be okay with that? So since Latinos support legalization of immigrants, you want to "get back" at Latinos? You do realize that not all Latinos are in favor of legalization, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Racists and bigots can be found in every government agency and corporation in this country, and politicians are no exception. They are even at the helm of some “reputable” organizations that purport to be “civil rights” advocates; and only differ in their agendas, tactics (covert vs. overt racism), and public persona.

Frankly, I wouldn’t care if Russell Pearce is a devil worshipper. His personal life and stance toward ANYTHING does not negate the legitimacy of the bill, or the abysmal failure of the federal government to enforce our immigration laws, which is the crux of the problem.

To imply that SB 1070 should be considered racist simply because Russell Pearce may or may not be a racist, would be tantamount to considering the Constitution racist due to the bigotry so prevalent among some of its drafters. After all, a black person was considered to be 3/5 human for specific purposes prior to the 13th Amendment. Yet, the Constitution is still considered “the law of the land.”
Benicar, I understand your point about separating the two (author and the law). However, you cannot tell me that the Constitution, in its original form, was not racist because it was and it served as a powerful tool to legalize so many atrocities against Blacks. Even when it was reformed, there were more laws written (subliminally) to prohibit Blacks from exercising their rights and preventing them from living free of discrimination. Voting tax comes to mind.

In the same way, SB1070 was written so that it would legalize harassment of those that have the stereotypical...brown skin. I sure hope it is overturned by the Circuit Courts of Appeal. If they really wanted to target the illegal immigration problem, there are other ways much more efficient than to go after people of the same color of skin in the streets.

Pearce is mentioned because he was the author of this jim crow law (my opinion as I have seen what it has done to the Latino community and my family in Arizona). He has always denied any connection to the KKK but now it is clear. Do I know that there are racists and bigots in, around and outside our own government and corporations? Of course, but at least this one has been caught and it is all out in the open for all to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top