Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Wow. I wonder if anyone in my family could run up a bill like that and not be forced to sell every stick we own?
Of course not, only illegals get medical care and are allowed to just walk away from the bills.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
It was almost certainly an illegal discharge. There was no suitable receiving facility at the other end. So the Hospital violated the law. They actually sent him to an emergency hospital with no capability for long term care and no bed available.

Practically the move likely means the guy will live a short life with no real hope of any further rehabilitation.

An interesting problem. One would think the contractors involved would be liable at least via workmen's compensation.

The Hospital of course was left holding the bag which should not happen either. The feds really ought to be the funder of last resort in these cases to avoid harming local institutions.

If it is wrong for illegals to come here as you folks so often point out would you now support an illegal action against one? So only some kinds of illegal are bad?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:02 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It was almost certainly an illegal discharge. There was no suitable receiving facility at the other end. So the Hospital violated the law. They actually sent him to an emergency hospital with no capability for long term care and no bed available.

Practically the move likely means the guy will live a short life with no real hope of any further rehabilitation.

An interesting problem. One would think the contractors involved would be liable at least via workmen's compensation.

The Hospital of course was left holding the bag which should not happen either. The feds really ought to be the funder of last resort in these cases to avoid harming local institutions.

If it is wrong for illegals to come here as you folks so often point out would you now support an illegal action against one? So only some kinds of illegal are bad?
"If" it is wrong for illegals to come here? No "if" about it. If what the hospital did was illegal then that is wrong also. I am no hypocrite. If our government is made to pony up on those medical costs guess who's pocket it is really come out of though? That is why we need to enforce our immigration laws adamantly so that these things don't happen.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:16 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
If he stayed where he belonged and respected the laws this wouldn't have happened. .

The Pro-Illegal community has NO right to complain about ANYTHING if they were not paying his $650,000.00 medical bill AND for his future upkeep that AMERICANS got stiffed for.

Simple solution, put your money where your mouth is or ****. As to whoever illegally hired this poor guy I hope he gets sued into bankruptcy.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:

If the employees are illegal, the contractors were not paying WC or UI or anything else. The contractors would have to be sued.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Under Illinois law an illegal worker is entitled to Workers Compensation which makes me wonder why the hospital didn't process this guy as a WC case.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,453 times
When I was unemployed, I broke one of my teeth and was bleeding very profusselly. Anyway , drove myself to the Hospital. Stayed there for 40 minutes (did not have any insurance). My bill was close to 700 (I am still paying them)

My neighbohr (whom I suspect is undoccumented, I don't know for sure) had her baby at the same hospital, C-Section. Paid nothing. Go figure. I have been paying taxes and fees and BS to stay legal here . She gets a lot of stuff from the gvmt via her citizen kid.

<end of rant>

Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
When I was unemployed, I broke one of my teeth and was bleeding very profusselly. Anyway , drove myself to the Hospital. Stayed there for 40 minutes (did not have any insurance). My bill was close to 700 (I am still paying them)

My neighbohr (whom I suspect is undoccumented, I don't know for sure) had her baby at the same hospital, C-Section. Paid nothing. Go figure. I have been paying taxes and fees and BS to stay legal here . She gets a lot of stuff from the gvmt via her citizen kid.

<end of rant>
The birth was probably paid for via Medicaid

Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
The birth was probably paid for via Medicaid
Still, a C-Section in DC is like 8-12k. She is not even authorized to be here (I am 99% sure she is not) I dont want to sound like a B. but I made an effort (HUGE!) to play by the rules. Just staying here legally costed me circa 20k and not to mention waiting circa 10 years for my papers. So it is super unfair. Plus is like using a kid. WHich I find awful.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:

How is it an illegal discharge? There are no laws requiring a hospital to provide long-term “free” care to illegal aliens. Regardless of the capabilities of the receiving hospital, are you suggesting there are NO facilities in Mexico in which he can receive adequate care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration